It's Not Magic, It's Science!

BLOG: It's Not Magic, It's Science: Pendulum Rides

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/february/its-not-magic-its-science-pendulum-rides

IT'S NOT MAGIC, IT'S SCIENCE: PENDULUM RIDES

February 28, 2021

Nikki Lee
Youth Sales Representative - Kings Island
viking1400.jpg

Hi everyone! My name is Nikki Lee and I’m the Youth Sales Representative at Kings Island. Kings Island started as my very first job and I’m now on my 11th season at the park.

I’ve worked in various positions during my time here but being the Youth Sales Representative has truly been the most fulfilling. After all, I get to sell FUN for a living, and I have the chance to help create memorable experiences for our youth. I am responsible for all youth programming and K-12 youth group visits to Kings Island. This includes all educational and STEAM based programs such as Engineering Day; performance groups such as marching bands, dance teams and choirs; and just-for-fun trips too! If it involves youth – I am most likely your person.

Over the past few months, I’ve had the opportunity to talk with many of our educators and partners about their experiences during these changing times. Therefore, we know that keeping students interested and engaged can be a challenge. That is why we partnered with our sister park Cedar Point, Rockwell Automation and Global STEM Ambassador, Jay Flores, to share a five-part video series, It’s Not Magic, It’s Science!

These videos can be used in both in-person and remote settings and believe me when I tell you, they are FUN to watch! Each video consists of 3 parts: the Experiment, the Explanation and the Exploration. In the Experiment segment, you’ll see Jay conduct a real scientific experiment. In the Explanation, he’ll cover the scientific principles and properties involved and, in the Exploration, you’ll see the science applied to one of your favorite amusement park rides.  

We’ll be featuring a new video every few weeks leading up to Opening Day 2021 on May 15. Our first video features Pendulum Rides. Here at Kings Island, this is the all-ages favorite, Viking Fury. We will be sending new experiments monthly leading up to our operating date so be on the lookout for the next one!

The full version of the video can be viewed below:

Enjoy!

• Like 1

When I think pendulum ride, I think Delirium. I have never thought of the Viking Fury as a pendulum ride. But I guess Delirium is a frisbee ride. Still seems like a variation of a pendulum to me, however.  

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

BLOG: It's Not Magic, It's Science - Roller Coaster Sensors

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/march/its-not-magic-its-science---roller-coaster-sensors

IT'S NOT MAGIC, IT'S SCIENCE - ROLLER COASTER SENSORS

March 18, 2021

Nikki Lee
Youth Sales Representative - Kings Islandorionthrill1400.jpg

It’s time for the second installment of It’s Not Magic, It’s Science!

This week, we are focusing on sensors and the role they play in keeping you safe while on your favorite rides. Rockwell Automation’s Global STEM Ambassador, Jay Flores, explains and explores the science behind Roller Coaster Sensors.

Have you ever wondered how your favorite amusement park rides know exactly what to do and when to do it? For example, how does Drop Tower know exactly how high to climb and when it’s reached the top? How does it know how long to hold you there and when to drop you? It’s all about sensors and programmable logic controllers, and in the second “It’s Not Magic, It’s Science” video, Jay is going to show you how this works. 

The full video can be viewed below:

We have three more “It’s Not Magic It’s Science” videos to share with you over the next two months leading up to Opening Day on May 15. In case you missed our first installment, you can find it here

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

BLOG: It’s Not Magic, It’s Science – Looping Roller Coasters

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/april/its-not-magic-its-science---looping-roller-coasters

It’s Not Magic, It’s Science – Looping Roller Coasters

Nikki Lee April 14, 2021
banner-looping.jpg

Spring is officially here at Kings Island which means we are even closer to Opening Day on May 15! That also means it’s time for our third It’s Not Magic, It’s Science Video brought to you by Kings Island, in partnership with Rockwell Automation.

For this installment, we’ll explore the science behind looping roller coasters with a water cup flip experiment. Here at Kings Island, a great example is Banshee, the world’s longest steel inverted roller coaster! Watch the video below to learn more about Newton’s First Law of Motion and how it relates to Banshee.

There are still two more videos to come in the “It’s Not Magic, It’s Science” series and you won’t want to miss them.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I just noticed on my first post in this thread I wrote that I never thought of Viking Fury as a pendulum ride. Actually I always thought of that ride as a pendulum. This is what happens when I should be sleeping instead of posting.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

BLOG: It's Not Magic, It's Science -- Spinning Rides

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/may/its-not-magic-its-science---spinning-rides

It's Not Magic, It's Science -- Spinning Rides

Nikki Lee May 10, 2021
banner-spin.jpg

Kings Island’s Opening Day is right around the corner. Getting closer to opening day also means that we are down to our last two videos in the It’s Not Magic It’s Science Series, brought to you by Kings Island in partnership with Rockwell Automation.

This next video in the series, uses a soda bottle race to explore the science behind spinning rides. Here at Kings Island, a great example of a spinning ride would be Shake, Rattle & Roll! Watch the video below to learn more about centripetal force and how it relates to Shake, Rattle & Roll.

There is one more video left in the “It’s Not Magic, It’s Science” series and we’ve saved the best for last. You won’t want to miss the grand finale!

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

BLOG: It’s Not Magic, It’s Science – Launched Roller Coasters

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/june/its-not-magic-its-science---launched-roller-coasters

It’s Not Magic, It’s Science – Launched Roller Coasters

Nikki Lee June 7, 2021
banner-magic5.jpg

It’s been a unique off season, but we made it! Kings Island is now open daily for the 2021 season. We are excited that the season has started, and even more excited to present the final video in the It’s Not Magic, It’s Science series, brought to you by Kings Island in partnership with Rockwell Automation.

We saved the best for last. In the final installment, Rockwell Automation’s Global STEM Ambassador, Jay Flores, does a paint can propulsion experiment to show you the science behind accelerating roller coasters. A perfect example of an accelerating roller coaster at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear. On this ride, you go from zero to 54 mph in just four seconds. How is this possible? Find out by viewing the full video below:

It’s been a privilege to present It’s Not Magic, It’s Science to you this spring. I hope you’ve had as much fun watching them as we had creating them, and we can’t wait to see you back at Kings Island again.

• Like 1