KIExtreme Forums

Halloween Haunt and WinterFest Canceled

A Message from Mike Koontz, Vice President & General Manager of Kings Island

August 4, 2020 Update

On July 2, we reached a park milestone when we re-opened and welcomed guests back to Kings Island for the first day of the 2020 season. Guests were able to experience Orion, one of only seven giga coasters on the planet, and its 300 feet first drop at speeds up to 91 mph. The reviews are in, our guests love it, and we are proud of this outstanding addition to our world class coaster line-up.  

It has truly been a unique season. I want to thank our guests and associates for making Kings Island a fun and safe place to visit. The park’s new health and safety measures were supported by everyone visiting the park, and our associates have gone above and beyond expectations in creating a safe environment for families to spend time with each other.

Because of the ongoing uncertainties surrounding COVID-19, we have the following updates to share:

Kings Island’s Fall Schedule and New Family Event
Kings Island will continue to operate through Nov. 1 on select days. We will introduce an all-new family event, Tricks and Treats Fall Fest beginning Sept. 26 featuring rides, unique food offerings, entertainment and activities for all ages. This event will enable social distancing and capacity management, and you’ll be hearing more about it in the coming weeks. 

Halloween Haunt and WinterFest
We have had to make the difficult decision to cancel both Halloween Haunt and WinterFest this year due to operating constraints in our region.  

Extending 2020 Season Passes through 2021
Keep in mind that all 2020 Season Passes and add-on products have been extended through the 2021 season. We’re looking forward to a great year ahead and can’t wait to show you many ways to have fun, including the return of hallmark events like Grand Carnivale, Halloween Haunt and WinterFest. Gold and Platinum Season Passes for 2021 go on sale beginning September 8, 2020. 

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support during this challenging period. We all look forward to having fun safely for the rest of 2020 and through 2021 as well. There are many days left for summer fun, and we hope to see you in the park soon.

Sincerely,

Mike Koontz
Vice President and General Manager

• Like 1

I've been expecting it since Universal Orlando cancelled their annual Halloween Horror Nights like about two or three weeks ago. I just got an add today that Land of Illusions is opening in like 30 days. I wonder if it will just be the trail open or maybe animatronics only, no actors.  I could see various Haunted Trails opening up since you will be out side where it would be easier to keep social distancing. Winterfest at Kings Island is like 80 % performers, and with what attendance has been lately, The park could potentially loos a lot more money than what they won;t make by not opening.

• Like 1

I think it will be better for them financially to close, Mr. Roberts. Personally am relieved people are staying home and staying safe. It's simply too dangerous to be in a crowd now. I wouldn't go to a haunted trail either this year, as many of them are extremely crowded and mostly teens work there; they aren't going to enforce distancing or masks.