Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Belly rubs welcomed by new K9 officer "Orion"

BLOG: Belly rubs welcomed by new K9 officer "Orion"

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/may/belly-rubs-welcomed-by-new-k9-officer-orion

BELLY RUBS WELCOMED BY NEW K9 OFFICER "ORION"

May 20, 2020

Chad Showalter

Director, Communications - Kings Island

Twitter: @ChadShowalter

Kings Island fans are quickly falling in love with the area’s newest K9 police officer. Meet Orion, the two-year old, long-haired German Shepherd and newest K9 officer with the City of Mason’s police department.

Named after Kings Island’s new roller coaster of the same name, K9 Orion officially joined the local police force last November. She serves with three other canine officers, Banshee (another Kings Island namesake), Brus and Zane.

Alongside School Resource Officer and 13-year veteran Officer Karli Dyer, Orion spends most of her time walking the halls of Mason schools, visiting elementary classrooms and being a community ambassador – all as part of the police department’s Campus Safety division.

“Students are so excited when they get to meet her,” Dyer said as we walked through the streets of Kings Island an early morning in May. “They love to tell me stories about their own dogs and that her long hair makes her look like a big teddy bear.” 

Dyer describes Orion as, “super smart with her brain always working.” Just what you’re looking for in a police dog. “She even surprises me sometimes,” she said.

It was important for the Mason Police Department to find just the right dog to serve alongside Dyer, so Orion’s background of being a service dog prior to becoming a police dog made her the perfect fit. 

“There are thousands of students in Mason’s schools, and we needed to find a dog that was social and could do her job while being around lots of kids,” Dyer said, and then added, “Plus, she gets lots of belly rubs. I can tell she likes that.”

oriondog1400.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if some dogs could be trained to sniff out Corona... just like cats that know when someone is about to die.

• Like 1

An interesting thought, Mr. Roberts. Service dogs are trained to recognize diabetic and seizure problems before a person is incapacitated. I'm sure there are other things I'm not aware of. I'd say that might be something for researchers to explore. 

Someone must of heard us talking...

Dogs Trained to Sniff Out COVID-19 Score Near-Perfect in Diagnosis of Human Sweat Samples

Does sweat from someone infected with COVID-19 have a unique scent? Researchers in Paris, and elsewhere, believe it does—and we now know dogs can sniff it out.

A new study from researchers at the national veterinary school in Alfort, outside Paris trained 8 Belgian Malinois shepherds to identify the smell of COVID-19 in the sweat of infected individuals.

The dogs’ overall success rate was near-perfect, correctly guessing an average of 95% of samples. Four dogs successfully identified a positive COVID sweat sample 100% of the time

The whole story is here!

• Like 1