Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

2020 General Improvements

BLOG: Viking Fury gets new coat of paint

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/march/viking-fury-gets-new-coat-of-paint

VIKING FURY GETS NEW COAT OF PAINT

March 29, 2020

Don Helbig

Area Manager Digital Marketing - Kings Island

Twitter: @DonHelbig 

The Viking Fury, which has been at Kings Island since 1982, is getting a new coat of paint.

In addition to the ship and supports receiving new paint, parts of the exit deck, ramp and fencing have been rebuilt.

When Viking Fury opened, it was the largest ride of its type in the world and has since been a favorite for families and thrill seekers. In fact, only 11 rides in Kings Island’s history have given more rides than the Viking Fury’s 31.8 million: The Racer, K.I & Miami Valley Railroad, The Beast, Woodstock Express, Enchanted Voyage, Race for Your Life Charlie Brown, Vortex, Kenton’s Cove Keelboat Canal, Eiffel Tower, Adventure Express and Dodgem.

Because of its location, surrounded by water and with the Eiffel Tower serving as a backdrop, Viking Fury is one of the most photographed attractions at Kings Island.

I had the opportunity to be among the first riders on Viking Fury, riding it nine times during a press event. It was so much fun and 38 years later continues to be an attraction that I want to experience whenever I'm visiting the park with family and friends. 

Have you ridden Viking Fury? Share your memories in the comments section below.

vikingfury1400.jpg

• Like 1

When it was brand new, we used to have scream fights were each side would try to yell the loudest when their side went up in the air. Later the scream fights became "Taste great" on one side and "Less filling" on the other side. Leave it to the alcoholic culture to only being able enjoy something if it is based around drinking.

• Like 1

BLOG: Annual care keeps The Racer in peak operating condition

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/march/annual-care-keeps-the-racer-in-peak-operating-condition

ANNUAL CARE KEEPS THE RACER IN PEAK OPERATING CONDITION

March 31, 2020

Don Helbig

The annual care and roller coaster maintenance that goes into keeping The Racer in peak operating condition included the retracking of the turnaround on the south side (red trains) of the twin-track wooden roller coaster over the winter. 

The turnaround on the north side (blue trains) was retracked last year. 

Other work completed on The Racer since giving its last rides of the 2019 season in October include replacing a number of the running rails made of flattened steel strips mounted on the wooden track and replacing support bents and ledgers.

Kings Island officials coaxed John Allen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company out of semi-retirement for the task of designing and building The Racer. He started to design the ride’s blueprints in December 1969. The first trial run came in September 1971. It worked perfectly the first time as Allen predicted it would. 

The Racer was the first roller coaster built structurally on the ground with prefabricated sections lifted into position and bolted. It was one of the largest roller coasters ever built at the time, and the largest that Allen had built. He considered The Racer to be the finest roller coaster he ever built. 

There’s more than 600,000 board feet of lumber in the ride. Nobody knows how many nails. The construction crew started with 6,000 tons of nails which lasted only 60 days. 

The Racer has given more than 1 million rides each year since its opening in 1972. In total, more than 106 million guests have taken a ride on The Racer, far and away the most in park history. Its best year was 1976 when a park record 3,681,338 rides were given.

racertrack14.jpg

• Like 1

I actually remember being there once years ago when they were doing the tastes great deal, Mr. Roberts. Inappropriate to say the least, as they had a lot of kids on the ride at the time. I seriously do not like stuff like that.

I'll post some of my Viking Fury pictures here eventually. I just need to get out my external hard drive to find them.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

I have one of those somewhere with nothing on it, Mr. Roberts. One of those never get around to it things. I'm sure you have lots of good ones. Take your time.

BLOG: New Dodgem entrance sign installed at Kings Island

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/june/new-dodgem-entrance-sign-installed-at-kings-island

NEW DODGEM ENTRANCE SIGN INSTALLED AT KINGS ISLAND

June 11, 2020

Don Helbig

There’s a big beautiful Dodgem sign above the entrance to the classic amusement park ride in Coney Mall. The newly redesigned sign was installed on Thursday at King Island.

In addition to the new sign, the exterior of the Dodgem has received a fresh coat of paint.

One of the Kings Island’s most popular family rides, the Dodgem opened with the park in 1972. The Dodgem was refurbished in 1986, making it a bigger and better version of the original which gave its first rides in 1924 at Cincinnati’s old Coney Island. After operating there for 48 seasons, it was among the rides transported in the fall of 1971 to Kings Island.

Forty fiberglass bumper cars, manufactured by the Majestic Rides Company, Inc. of New Waterford, Ohio, provide fun for park guests as they try to avoid bumping into each other. Getting behind the wheel of one of the cars is a rite of passage. No visit to Kings Island is complete for family or friends without riding the Dodgem.

Kings Island will open for the 2020 season in July with new health and safety protocol in place. The amusement park will open to season pass-holders starting July 2 through July 11. Kings Island will be open to daily ticket-holders starting Sunday, July 12.

dodgemsign1400.jpg

• Like 1

BLOG: Kings Island's Scrambler gets new cars

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/june/kings-islands-scrambler-gets-new-cars

KINGS ISLAND'S SCRAMBLER GETS NEW CARS

June 13, 2020

Don Helbig

One of the most popular family rides at Kings Island will have a new look when the park opens for the 2020 season in July.

New cars have been installed on the Scrambler, which has delighted generations of people and been a staple attraction in the Coney Mall sector of the park since Kings Island opened in 1972.

The Scrambler may not be the tallest, fastest or most thrilling ride at Kings Island, but it continues to put smiles on the faces of guests old and young, whether they are experiencing it for the first time or reliving childhood memories.

On this classic amusement park ride, you spin around this way and that, never seeing the same thing twice. In fact, it’s difficult to know quite what you’re looking at as you rotate clockwise and counterclockwise at the exact same time. The only thing that makes sense is your urge to hold on tight while the ride’s colorful arms swirl into a rainbow around you.

Whenever I visited the park as a guest, no visit was complete without a ride on the Scrambler. It was always so much fun to ride and something I looked forward to experiencing each and every visit.

The Scrambler has given more than 25.1 million rides during its 48 seasons of operation at Kings Island, ranking 15th on the park’s all-time rides given list.

scrambler1400.jpg

• Like 1

Those look nice. Although the blue painted was better than the yellow painted, only the natural metal colored looks right on The Scrambler. 👌

• Like 1

What I think is sad is when you go somewhere, like Camden Park, and their Scrambler is in very rough shape. They still make parts for these so there is no reason for them to be crawling and shaky.

• Sad 1

I've been on a couple that were in bad shape, Mr. Roberts, though it's been awhile. Surely the cost of maintenance is low compared to possible costs from injuries that might be sustained.