Sign in to follow this  
SSR1966

Coronavirus

Apparently, AMC Theaters had recently purchased a slew of more theaters before anyone saw Covid 19 coming... and then they had to shut them all down spanning theaters in 15 different countries. The corporation isn't making any money currently but it still has cost, like electric bills, plumbing and furloughed employees.

On April 2, Standard & Poor’s Globalfinancial analysts downgraded the already discouraging credit rating of the world’s largest movie theater chain, AMC Entertainment, to a CCC — “Default imminent, with little prospect for recovery.

Even if they reopen in June, they will have to seat everyone at least 6 feet apart, so theaters could be selling out a lot more quicker when they can only fill one third of the seats. But that probably won't be a problem anyway since all the big summer releases have already had their release dates re-scheduled to at least August. So they will probably be only able to get independent films and classics over the holiday weekend and into August.

You can read about some of AMC's problems here.

• Like 1

I expect it will cost far more than that before it's over, Mr. Roberts. Saw this evening where Hong Kong is having a resurgence, and the full surge hasn't yet occurred here. We'll have a resurgence too. I just don't see anything opening this year, though I'd like to be proven wrong. 

All Cedar Fair properties except for Canada's Wonderland are taking the same actions as KI with extending all 2020 season passes and add-on benefits through 2021.

• Like 1

Gatlinburg is usually wall to wall people this time of year because of Spring Break. Here is what it looks like during Spring Break under restrictions of COVID 19.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

Disney has ) has entered a $5 billion credit agreement, it disclosed in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday. The the credit agreement is "unsecured," which means that the loan has been extended based on Disney's ability to pay back instead of collateral. Disney has one year to pay it back. Right now, Disney's streaming service, Disney +, is the only thing Disney has going that is making money.

READ THE STORY HERE.

• Like 1

Wow. Gatlinburg looks very lonely, Mr. Roberts. But necessary to save lives. It's sure built-up since we were there last. I saw this about Disney somewhere online. You'd think they'd have more than enough in reserve to carry them for a long time considering their prices. I have no sympathy for big corporations when regular people are starving.

I don't know if this means anything, but I just saw a new add that Kings Island has just started hiring for part time positions again.

• Confused 1

Interesting. Don't see how that can possibly happen, Mr. Roberts. No way I could take that risk, nor could anyone older or with health issues. That's an awful big percentage of people. 

I've seen older gentlemen working at both Lowes and Home Depot in the last two weeks. They all seemed to be in better shape than me though. I guess you do what you have to do to make ends meet.

• Sad 1

You're right, Mr. Roberts. Used to see a lot of older people at local Lowe's. I'm sure they're still there, but I am not going out except for picking up groceries ordered online. And would get them delivered if that was possible. Just hope every day nothing breaks or quits so there's no need to have repair people here because who knows where they've been in and what they're carrying. We can do minor repairs but appliances are a big concern. Fingers crossed.

Knew a guy years ago who, long retired, got bored and ended up working at walmart till he was in his eighties just to keep from being bored. Never understood that. 

If I was bored and living on retirement, I would travel around to see everything there was to see in a 2.5 hour radius of my house, assuming retirement wouldn't leave me enough income to fly.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

That sounds like a good plan, Mr. Roberts. Time to get back home every night. He said he just liked being around people. Kids and grandkids were grown and scattered, and his wife liked to stay at home. So he worked at walmart and talked to a lot of people every day. He didn't need the money, and said they'd traveled a lot because he was in the service and just got tired staying home. That would never apply to me.

Officials in Florida said Disney World could reopen the Magic Kingdom as early as June after a lengthy Corona lock down... but with half as much glitter and magic, according to reports. shutting down last month due to COVID-19, announcing the park would only run at 50 percent capacity with strict social distancing rules. Some of the things they might implement is taking your temperature before your allowed to enter, Hand free sanitizer at the entrance AND exit of every ride, wiping down seats and bars of the ride between each boarding, staggering groups on ride so there is an empty seat between each one occupied, using virtual cues on their app telling you when it is your turn to ride so your not standing in line for two hours amongst strangers (there would still be a short line, but a short line would make it easier to enforce the six foot rule), eliminating some shows and character meet and greets and having all employees wear face masks. They will also be selling face masks designed with Disney owned characters, from cartoon characters, to Star Wars to Marvel super heroes. Much of this I have gathered from various web sites and reports, but the general story is right here.

shutting down last month due to COVID-19, announcing the park would only run at 50 percent capacity with strict social distancing rules

• Like 1

This is going to backfire in a terrible way, Mr. Roberts. The number of deaths is increasing by the thousands daily and it's not going down anytime soon. I sincerely hope they reconsider, because the damage will be irreparable. Even 50% is so many thousands of people and they will spread it to thousands more. 

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge partially reopened on May 1st. As soon as this happened, people came flocking into town. So far only restaurants and shops have reopened, none of the attractions except for one miniature golf course. The actual National Park will start re-opening in phases on May 9th. The attractions will also start opening in phases on a "we'll see as we go" bases, but no specific dates have been announced.  

• Like 1

And yesterday saw the highest number of deaths nationwide. Opening so many of these places without requiring masks and social distancing is a deadly mistake. No matter what state it is. I'm staying home. Otherwise, my chances of survival are slim to none, Mr. Roberts. I hope you do the same.

Actually, the business in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are still doing the mask and social distancing thing. At least one store in the Island of Pigeon Forge won't even let a customer enter without a mask. I think the Governor is just trying to help out all the small business so that they can make a little money rather than going out of business or bankrupt.   

• Like 1

Michigan is under a mandatory mask order, Mr. Roberts. Yesterday, a security guard at a dollar store was murdered after asking a woman to put on a mask. She spit on him, then went home and came back with her father and murdered him. Three people arrested today and charged with his murder. I'm sure the governor has good intentions, but people are evil. I fear there will be even deadlier consequences as time goes by. And the numbers of infections are going up ever higher daily. Terrifying times. 

I agree. There are a lot of evil people in the world. The evil ones will go on and it will be mostly good people who die from all of this.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly, Mr. Roberts. Someone said last week the wrong people were getting sick. I do not wish this on anyone, but it seems innocent people who are the hardest working are suffering the most. It is heartbreaking.

When Disney does reopen, people will have make reservations ahead of time to go. No one will be able to buy a ticket at the gate. This way they can keep an accurate count of how many people are in the park since they want to keep guest at half capacity.

• Like 1

Whatever measures they take, cases are going to skyrocket. Half capacity there is still thousands of people. Can't understand why so many are willing to risk their lives, and the lives of others, for things that don't really matter in the long run, Mr. Roberts.

Just got this e-mail from Kings Island about taking a survey. I haven't really had time to read it yet so I have no details to give you at this time.

"Dear Passholder,

We are conducting a survey to better understand the needs and expectations of our guests. As a Kings Island passholder, we would love to have your feedback.

You'll find this is a thorough survey covering a variety of topics, but especially focused on COVID-19. It would be most helpful if you could complete the survey in the next few days. Please know that all of your responses will be kept confidential and only reviewed in total.

Thank you in advance for your time."

• Like 1

I just saw a video where Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were both had record sitting visitors and all the hotels were practically sold out. Quite impressive considering the big attractions, like Dollywood, have not re-opened yet. I guess after being cooped up for two months people were chomping at the bit to get out of the house and go somewhere.

Universal Studios' City Walk and Disney Springs have all partially reopened.

In our area, both Starlite Drive-In and Holiday Auto Theater have opened. I went to Holiday last night and saw the new "Invisible Man" and a horror movie called "Hunt." They only let people park every other space and only two people were allowed in the concession stand and two in each bathroom at a single time. They also had porta potties for people who didn't want to get anywhere near the building and be in the bathroom with anyone else. Don't buy anything from the concession and this was really the perfect way to get out while observing social distancing. 

• Like 1