Sign in to follow this  
SSR1966

Indiana Beach amusement park R.I.P. (Update: Saved!)

I tried to post a link to the article, but I can't figure out how on my phone. If no one else has posted a link by the next time I'm on my PC I will post one. 

So this past Tuesday, Indiana Beach unexpectedly closed forever. The owners sighted financial reasons behind the the decision to close it.

Even a thriving park can die if it has poor management. I always wanted to go there but my friend who said he would go with me pulled a "I have a Kings Island season pass, why should I pay to go to another park." I'm just going to have to hit some of these parks this summer by myself rather than miss out on ever going to them because he promises a lot but hardly ever delivers.

• Like 1

First Coney Island gets rid of their rides, then the Beach closes (again), what is next? I'm guessing either Camden Park or Beech Bend park.

• Like 1

Your guess is likely better than mine, Mr. Roberts. You have to wonder who they have in charge to mess things up so badly that closing is the only option. Every one is a big loss of jobs for their area.

Most likely, Mr. Roberts. These places, especially the smaller ones, need someone with degrees in financing and accounting to be in charge. 

You'd think so, Mr. Roberts. But willing to bet these people are out of luck. Wrong on every level. They had to know before they started selling those passes. This does not happen overnight.

Another park, Fantasy Island in Niagara Falls which is owned by the same company (Apex Parks, primarily an operator of small entertainment centers), announced their permanent closure just after Indiana Beach did: https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/23/what-will-happen-to-fantasy-island-will-season-ticket-holders-get-money-back/

Before the announcement they had claimed to have sold out of 2020 season passes. The New York Attorney General is now working on that case.

• Sad 1

I seriously hope the AG finds a way to get people their money back. This shouldn't have happened.

No telling, Mr. Roberts. Not surprising but still rather sad.

I wouldn't think that Fun Spot would be big enough of a company to afford Indiana Beech anyway. I would guess that the property that their Orlando location sits on is their most valuable asset.

Today their was a rally in front of Indiana Beeches front gate holding signs that said "Save Indiana Beach." The local government has now tasked themselves in helping to find a new owner.

Save Indiana Beach rally.

• Like 1

Well, at least they're trying to save it, Mr. Roberts. And the weather for that area looks a little warmer for the weekend after a few cold days to end the week. 

I think there will likely be more axed, Mr. Roberts. It's unfortunate, but unless they are enormous they don't seem to be managed well enough to stay afloat any more.

Yet Kentucky Kingdom seems to be thriving after Six Flags closed it for the same reason. Some times it just comes down to management.

• Like 1

Although this article was originally written on March 13th, it was updated on March 31st. Apparently

""Indiana Beach Amusement & Water Park Resort leaders continue to pursue potential buyers for the resort complex," the owner said in a statement. "Campsite holders, season pass holders and the community have been incredibly supportive." No one has bit the hook yet, but they claim "No deal has been done, and no buyer has been lined up, but potential buyers have expressed serious interest in reopening the popular summer attraction as soon as this year, according to the current owner."

Not much of an update, but you can read it here...

Indiana Beach hopeful it can reopen this year under new ownership

I think with all this attention they have gotten, the current owners could reopen this another year and just cash in on attention and have at least one great summer. They should hire Dan Koch, who lost Holiday World to his sister in law, to run the this place. He was looking to purchase Kentucky Kingdom at one point and had great success with Holiday World before getting ousted by his Sister in law. Despite some of the shady stuff he tried to get away with to keep control of the park and his sister in law in the dark, I think he has the skills to bring Indiana Beach back to greatness. It was him, his now departed brother, and maybe his mother that made the park what it is today.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

Well, maybe next year, Mr. Roberts. Don't think there's any chance at all of an opening this year. They should take off the rose colored glasses. I'd forgotten about the situation that occurred at Holiday World. Such a shame.

Have you noticed that since the one brother passed away and the other ousted, You never really hear about Holiday World anymore? I couldn't even tell you when the last time was they got a new coaster or other big ride.

• Like 1

You're right, Mr. Roberts. Hadn't thought about it but I haven't heard anything for at least a few years. Don't know where they would put anything new unless they removed something though. Don't think they had any empty land, but I could be wrong. It sure is, or was, a well kept park.

I found Dan Koch on Face Book. He owns a water park now. I messaged him about his thought's on taking over Indiana Beach but haven't heard back from him yet.

• Like 1

Also, Apex Parks has filed for bankruptcy: https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-amusement-parks-apex-bankruptcy-e89bf4f4-1943-44cc-94d4-9d022c6ca8f2.html

Excerpt:

Apex Parks Group, an Irvine, Calif.-based amusement parks operator owned by The Carlyle Group and Edgewater Funds, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. It also disclosed plans to be acquired by a lender group led by Cerberus Capital Management.

Fantasy Island passholders are all getting refunded, however: https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/fantasy-island-to-refund-customers-for-2020-season/71-96f1019f-c8ae-4cf0-bd36-7a96ff2f8f9d

Excerpt:

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Attorney General Letitia James announced a settlement that guarantees full refunds for all Fantasy Island customers who made purchases for the 2020 season.

On Tuesday, James announced that she negotiated a deal that secured refunds for all Fantasy Island season pass holders, meal plan customers and people who bought associated goods. The deal secured totals nearly $425,000, according to the Attorney General's Office. Some 9,000 refund checks will be going out to those customers.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response, Mr. Roberts, but would like to be surprised.

Lot of interesting info in these posts.