Sign in to follow this  
PilotGuyKI

Orion Construction Pictures

Oops. I just saw that PKIDelirum already posted a whole article about it further down the the Home Page of this forum.

• Like 1

The Orion webcam is now officially offline through the end of March as the ride has completed structural work and is advancing towards testing. The park has released a full time-lapse of the construction:

This is the final image from the Orion webcam before being taken offline today:

banshee.jpg

• Like 2

I just remembered someone on Facebook had posted a picture of the track with one of the trains sitting on it just before they shut the cam off. But I didn't look at it very closely to see if it was true because I was on my cell phone and it was too small.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 2

BLOG: Aerial view of Kings Island's new Orion giga coaster opening in April

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/march/aerial-view-of-kings-islands-new-giga-coaster-opening-in-april

AERIAL VIEW OF KINGS ISLAND'S NEW ORION GIGA COASTER OPENING IN APRIL 

March 6, 2020

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Digital Marketing - Kings Island

Twitter: @DonHelbig

The wait is almost over for roller coaster aficionados. In five weeks, Kings Island will debut Orion, one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.

Riders will plummet down a 300-foot drop at an incredible 85-degree angle and traverse along 5,321 feet of steel track at speeds up to 91 mph on Orion.

Orion will be the tallest and fastest roller coaster at Kings Island, and one of the 10 fastest in the world -- and that's a pretty big place! 

The aerial video below shows Orion's footprint, which runs alongside and past the length of Kings Island's first roller coaster, The Racer, in the Coney Mall section of the 364-acre amusement and water park.

orionaerialdrone.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, I Am A Rider said:

This looks kinda terrifying. I know it's very solid but looks deceptively skinny in the video.

If you look at the ride in person I think you would think otherwise.  The spine on the ride is huge!

• Like 1

Porkchop, yes, I know it's enormous. The videos and pictures are just kind of an optical illusion; deceptively skinny, not truly skinny.

PKI, this is more than a little fun to watch. Excellent video by Flyin High Dronez.

That turn around looks like it is really going to be something crazy. That height, the curve at the top and the steep drop back down. I cant wait to have a heart attack while riding this thing. I will become an urban legend as employees claim to have seen my ghost.

• Haha 1

Already had one, Mr. Roberts. Don't want another. But I hope you get a chance to ride and hope your ghost doesn't haunt anyone. 

In one of those drone videos I could see the break run for The Beast behind Orion's turn around. I hope Orion doesn't take away that 'ride through the woods' aspect of The Beast. It's like the park is slowly encroaching on The Beast. I guess it is bound to happen eventually but that should be a treat for future generations to witness. Today, I want to keep riding through the woods.

• Like 1

I can see why that should be important, Mr. Roberts. A lot of people really enjoy the woods part of it. It wouldn't be the same without it.