Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Breaking: Vortex to close at end of season

Local 12: Kings Island's Vortex to close after fall season https://local12.com/news/local/kings-islands-vortex-to-close-after-fall-season

BLOG: Kings Island to retire Vortex after 33 seasons https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/september/kings-island-to-retire-vortex-after-33-seasons

KINGS ISLAND TO RETIRE VORTEX AFTER 33 SEASONS

September 27, 2019

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Digital Marketing - Kings Island

Twitter: @DonHelbig

Roller coaster fans, it’s time to make plans to visit Kings Island to say goodbye before the Vortex rides into history Oct. 27, the final day of the fall season.

The Vortex has been a guest favorite since it debuted April 11, 1987 and it is sad to see it go. I have vivid memories of seeing the ride take shape as it was being built during the fall and winter of 1986 and of my first rides on the coaster – 33 to be exact – on media day. While it remains popular, the ride has simply reached the end of its service life.

The Vortex was designed exclusively for Kings Island by Arrow Dynamics and included the following succession of thrills that had never been incorporated into one steel coaster before:

• a 148-foot high lift and drop of 138 feet at a 55-degree angle
  • two vertical loops
  • one corkscrew
  • one boomerang turn
  • a 360-degree helix turn at the end
  • a top speed of 55 mph

The Vortex is notable as the first roller coaster in the world to send riders through six inversions on a continuous circuit. Overall, riders have been flipped upside down more than 275,000,000 times while riding Vortex.

Over the past 33 seasons more than 45 million guests have ridden Vortex. Only six attractions have given more rides since Kings Island opened its gates in 1972.

Final rides on Vortex will begin tonight when Halloween Haunt opens at 6 p.m.

Both 2019 and 2020 Gold and Platinum season passholders may use their pass for early rides on Vortex 30 minutes before Kings Island opens to the public every Saturday and Sunday through the end of the fall season.

vortex1400.png

• Sad 1

This used to be fun when I was a kid and to short to get my face slammed back and forth between the over the shoulder harness. But even nostalgia won't make me miss this painful ride.  I hope they save and reuse the coaster station for what ever goes in there next. That and Flight of Fear are the only two stations with any class.

• Like 1

A lot of people agree with you on this, Mr. Roberts, especially about saving the station. They could do a lot with it. Lot of territory there will be vacant once that ride is down.

BLOG: Days before closing for good, Vortex roller coaster to give its 46 millionth ride

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/october/days-before-closing-for-good-vortex-roller-coaster-to-give-its-46-million-ride

DAYS BEFORE CLOSING FOR GOOD, VORTEX ROLLER COASTER TO GIVE ITS 46 MILLIONTH RIDE

October 17, 2019

Chad Showalter

Director, Communications - Kings Island

Twitter: @ChadShowalter

This weekend, Kings Island’s Vortex roller coaster will celebrate its final rider milestone. Sometime during the amusement park’s Halloween Haunt and The Great Pumpkin Fest, the steel coaster’s 46 millionth ride will be given. Ridership has increased by more than 20 percent since Kings Island announced in September that Vortex, currently in its 33rd season, would permanently close on Oct. 27. The ride, while still popular with Kings Island's guests and roller coaster enthusiasts, has simply reached the end of its service life. 

More about Vortex:

• With nearly 46 million rides given, Vortex is the seventh-most ridden ride of all time at Kings Island.
  • Its record ridership year was 1987 when 2.2 million rides were given. Only the dual track wood coaster, The Racer, has given more rides in a debut season in Kings Island’s history. (3.2 million in 1972).
  • Vortex opened in 1987 as the tallest, full-circuit roller coaster with the highest drop in the world and the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions.
  • For the remainder of the season, both 2019 and 2020 Gold and Platinum season passholders are being given the opportunity for exclusive Vortex early ride time on Saturdays and Sundays before the park opens to the public.

vortexretire1400.png

• Like 1

BLOG: Last call for rides on the Vortex roller coaster

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/october/last-call-for-rides-on-the-vortex-roller-coaster

LAST CALL FOR RIDES ON THE VORTEX ROLLER COASTER

October 23, 2019

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Digital Marketing - Kings Island

Twitter: @DonHelbig

It’s time to say goodbye to an old friend this weekend. The Vortex roller coaster will be retired on Sunday, the final day of the fall season.

When the Vortex opened 33 seasons ago in 1987, it set a new world’s record by turning riders upside-down a total of six times in two and one-half minutes. The attraction was exclusively designed for Kings Island and included breath-taking thrills that had never been incorporated into one steel roller coaster before.

On the Vortex, riders are rocketed through 3,800 feet of track at speeds up to 55 mph through two vertical loops, double corkscrew, boomerang turn, and a 360-degree helix. The ride stands 148 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 138 feet at a 55-degree angle.

The Vortex required 750 tons of steel to construct and reused the wait queue and train station from the original Bat roller coaster, which operated for parts of three seasons from 1981-1983. The ride opened to the public April 11, 1987, and helped Kings Island exceed 3 million visitors for the first time in its history.

The Vortex reached its final ridership milestone Oct. 19 when it gave its 46 millionth ride, the sixth-most among active rides and seventh-most all time at Kings Island.

Will you miss Vortex? Share in the comments below.

vortexlastcall14.png

The park said they have no plans for that space so it will probably be two or three years before we know something. Kings Island was originally going to get an Adams Family themed coaster, but they couldn't secure the rights so went with Italian Job instead. The Adams Family coaster went to Dollywood and was themed as Mystery Mine.  I would like to see Kings Island finally get that coaster,  rethemed to something else, so that they have a cool new coaster and can get more use out of the the old Bat line queue building. If not that, a dive coaster would be cool. 

• Like 1

That's a lot of space to leave vacant that long, Mr. Roberts. Bet they have something in mind. They'll have to at least clean up the site in the meantime. 

They are already spending so much money on the new coaster and the revamping of the area leading into Orion that tearing down Vortex might not be in the budget this year, but as most of the time, I am only speculating.  I really have no way of knowing.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1