Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

2019 International Street Renovation

BLOG: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/january/international-street-and-royal-fountain-to-get-major-offseason-renovation

INTERNATIONAL STREET AND ROYAL FOUNTAIN TO GET MAJOR OFFSEASON RENOVATION

January 16, 2019

Kings Island’s International Street is set to receive its first complete makeover since the park opened in 1972.

No element of International Street will be left untouched as crews update the Royal Fountain, install more than 130,000 new pavers, improve each building façade and enhance the landscaping. The renovation will take guests back to what Kings Island looked like when the park first opened, allowing guests to discover the magic of International Street again.

Technology upgrades to the Royal Fountain will allow for choreographed daytime and nighttime shows featuring water that shoots 50 percent higher into the air, and the ability to individually control each of the fountains new 112 nozzles and 176 LED lights. An expanded bandstand stage in front of the Eiffel Tower will allow for bigger celebrations and performances.

Construction on International Street is now underway. Follow the Kings Island blog for a series of construction updates leading up to Opening Day in the spring.

istreet1400.png

istreet1.png

istreet2.png

istreet3.png

• Like 2

This is so long overdue. Hope the new pavers will make it easier for people who use wheelchairs to traverse.  All the improvements will be worthwhile, I'm sure.

The bad thing about paver bricks is that I see a lot all over the park that are either cracked or have holes in them. If someone should be foolish enough to wear heals it will just be a matter of time before an ankle is twisted. Wearing heals doesn't make much since at an amusement park and not likely to happen, but if there is a way for some dim person to hurt themselves the odds will increase. I could see wearing boots with a more comfortable type of heal during cold weather, like during Haunt or Winterfest. 

• Like 1

This is awesome!  So glad KI is returning some of the things that made it great and was taken away!   They’re really upping their game in making the park more beautiful to look at!  Hope they keep bringing more classic rides back as well. 

• Like 1

You're right, Mr. Roberts. If there is any way someone can do damage to themselves, they will find it.  I don't like pavers in general; a completely smooth surface is much easier for people who either cannot walk or have difficulty walking to use. And easier for we older folks too.  I guess pavers meet ADA requirements but I wish they would not replace one kind of broken surface with another. As far as people wearing heels in an amusement park - I have seen people in full dress-up mode there many times and it always astounds me. Why? It's 90 degrees and they're in Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. It has to be miserable, to say the least. And then see them there on cold rainy days/nights in shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. What are they thinking?

However, Imperial79, it is good they're restoring what was and hopefully they will bring back old favorite rides as well. Just don't think that is very likely. Too many people looking for the next biggest thrill.

• Like 1

I Am A Rider Me too, I was 50/50 on thinking we have more chances of them listening to us, about bringing things back like classics that people love and miss, but after them announcing WinterFest returning, Kings Mills Antique Autos and a renovation of IS,  I’m leaning more to think they will be open to more classic rides returning, etc. 

I agree I think after this season they’ll add more thrills. 

• Like 1

The park once had a plan to restore old rides and put them back in operation. I wonder what ever became of that idea? I would love to see a Butter Cup, Tilt-O-Whirl and Sky Ride. I won't even dare to dream about some version of Enchanted Voyage coming back. I never see that happening.

• Like 2