Sign in to follow this  
SSR1966

Looking back at 2014: Delirium

It seems to me that Delirium was a hit at the park since the day it first opened in 2003. It’s always had a line filling up every line queue on busy days and most of the queues even on slower days. There are some people who won’t ride it either because it spins or because they do not like heights, and maybe sometimes because of both, but judging from the long lines there always seemed to be plenty of people who were not bothered by either.

This year, however, I noticed that the line for this ‘Giant Frisbee’ had shrunk considerably. What once might have taken an hour or more of standing in line has become considerably shorter. The day I rode it this past year, I was on after waiting through only one ride cycle, and this was on a nice sunny day.

Once the ride started up I think I might have figured out why the ride’s popularity may have dropped off. In years past, no matter where you sat on the ride, you would always reach the top on the upswing. There was no bad seat. This year, because of where I sat, I never made it to the top. I was always on the bottom during the upswing.

This seems to be a result of the spinning part of the ride having been slowed down. Maybe the swing is slower also… I can’t say for certain. I can say, however, that I was really disappointed with my ride on Delirium, so disappointed that I never even attempted to ride it again the rest of the season.

So now, if you want to get to the top on the swing up, you need to sit on the side facing Banshee. If you sit on the side facing the Fest Haus, be prepared for a very lackluster ride.

I ran into a friend of mine one day and he was telling me how he rode Delirium for the first time this year and he had fallen in love with it, but then proceeded to tell me how maXair at Cedar Point was ten times better. What he then described sounded a lot like how Delirum was before its ride cycle got neutered.

So now I’m wondering why this has happened. Was the ride getting too old and could not take the higher speed anymore? Does this mean that in two years, when maXair reaches the same age, its ride cycle is going to get neutered also? (Delirium is two years older than maXair, so in actually, it will be only one year before the possible neutering by the time your reading this). Did people complain that they did not want to ride Delirium because it was too fast, and if so, are they riding it now since it has been slowed down? (Judging from the current average length of the line, I doubt it). Was this done because everything at Cedar Point has to be better? (That would be a really stupid business plan so I doubt this would be the case). Or maybe, just maybe, after repairs were done to the ride in 2013 it was just never reprogramed back to its original ride cycle of glory. (But if this was to be the case, was it done by accident or on purpose?) I don’t have answers, just questions and conspiracy theories.

The majority of my friends don’t like rides that spin (one of them even claim the Carousel makes him sick), so I never got to ride this as much as I like. With this change to the ride program, I probably won’t even be making an effort to ride anymore. If I do end up riding it again I’ll make a point to ride on the side of Delirium that faces Banshee. Who knows, maybe I will discover that the ride was just having an off day on the day I rode it, and this possible next time it will be like the Delirum that I have always known and loved.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

Interesting info, Mr. Roberts. I have heard other people voice similar issues with the ride. And we have noticed the lines were not nearly as long. Can't ride the spinnies anymore so can't comment personally on whether it has changed or not, but others do feel the same as you. Several said they thought after it was repaired that it was different. I do think rides are different some days depending on heat and humidity. That may or may not be for real......maybe just the way we feel on different days. But some machines are affected by weather. And I do know people who get sick on the Carousel, even kids, sadly.

It’s good to know that I’m not just crazy and that there have been other people with similar complaints. I, myself, haven’t heard anyone else express disappointment or even noticing a change in the ride program. I even did a search over at Drama Central and did not find any discussion on Delirium being slowed down. I just hope Delirium doesn’t turn into another Tomb Raider/ Vault scenario where it dies a slow painful death.

In related news, after last year’s introduction of Wipeout at Coney Island, that park is once again adding another thrill ride in the form of a pendulum ride. It’s kind of like a Frisbee, in which rider’s seats spin while swinging back and forth, except on this pendulum, the swing goes completely around in a complete 180 degree circle.

According to Coney Island's Facebook page, the ride is going to look like this one.

Edited by SSR1966
  • Like 1

Glad to know Coney is growing again, Mr. Roberts. Such a wonderful place. So much history. Though this ride makes me dizzy just looking at the video, I know a lot of people enjoy them. We haven't been there for some time but there was a ride there - cannot remember what it's called - that was kind of high and spinny and it had very long lines. Down past the showplace, same side, near the lagoon. Wasn't very big but very busy. Good they are able to keep the park going; a lot of people enjoy smaller places that aren't overrun with people who are only interested in coasters. Parks have a lot more to offer than that. Nostalgia has a place too. A lot of people like to go back to the "good old days."

Have thought about Delirium going the way of Tomb Raider as well and have talked about it with several people, especially after taking note that the lines aren't long anymore. And no, you're definitely not crazy. Quite a few people have told me they can tell a definite difference in the ride and that they weren't bothering with it anymore. Guess we'll find out eventually.