Sign in to follow this  
pcwfreak

WOF pic

The copyright thing is a different issue than you guys are thinking of. When either of our sites watermark a photo, i.e. "Don Flint 2005 ExtremePKI.com" that's not a legal binding deal, more or less it's so if the photo did get out of the hands of the site, it would still have their URL on it so they would get credit where it's deserved. On the other hand, ANYTHING that you put on your site, so long as it's considered "published" intellectual material is protected by copyright laws.

Yeah. Its infringement if you claim it as your own work... Which is what happened. That other site took my photo and put their watermark on it. And didn't give credit...

Yeah anything that you produce - whether you make it or you take a photo or write it or whatever - anything you produce and publish is copyrighted. So any photos you take and put online are copyrighted to you - whether or not you watermark them.

Additionally - if someone uses one of your photos, but cites the source, then it is not copyright infringement. I could be wrong on that, but I think that is how it works. Like if someone posted a picture and said - this photo comes from ExtremePKI.com and is their copyright - then I think it is ok.

So then my question to you is, how are you going to prove that they didn't take the exact same picture... or that YOU took THEIR picture. I don't believe the second option, but what I am saying is that it would have no grounds legally, due to the fact that you cannot prove you actually took the picture. Even if you whip out your digicam and say here it is. No grounds, no case, no infringement.

Yeah I can because I have the original file. They do not. They have the optimized file - which has been sized down. The original file is like 3 times the size...

That is another thing about copyrights - you have to have something to prove that it is yours. In this case, I have the original 3MP file, and they just have the 1024x768 file...

I am not saying anything about infringement though. I emailed them and told them to take it down - and they did. Case closed.