The Beach Waterpark closing after 27 years

Official website has been taken down and replaced with a press release: http://www.thebeachwaterpark.com/

MASON, Ohio, March 9, 2012 - After more than 27 years in business, The Beach Waterpark announced plans to close for the 2012 season today. The closure begins immediately and is the result of a challenging competitive and economic climate and changing patron entertainment habits.

“The Beach Waterpark management team is extremely saddened to make today’s announcement,” said Ralph Vilardo Jr., authorized spokesperson on behalf of The Beach Waterpark. “We have been proud to provide entertainment and employment to Southwest Ohioans for more than 27 years. Like many businesses these days, we had to make the difficult decision to close after concluding that further investment to support the business cannot be justified.”

The Beach Waterpark has employed more than 15,000 people during the course of its operation. An estimated 7.5 million people have visited the park. The Beach Waterpark has operated at a loss during the past several years.

About The Beach Waterpark

The Beach Waterpark opened in 1985 and is situated on 35 acres in Mason, Ohio, near Cincinnati and Dayton Ohio. A tropical themed park, The Beach Waterpark offered more than 50 rides and attractions to visitors.

Consumer concerns or questions may be directed to thebeachwaterpark@northlich.com. Every effort will be made to respond in a timely manner.

I'm sorry about the loss of any business and the jobs involved; however, I figured when they didn't open this past Christmas that this was coming. Too much competition with the water park at KI all nice and bigger. Interesting pic, Mr. PKIDelirium. I was there once and got soaked in a paddle boat - but no one offered any help. Went back to the car and shucked my soaked jeans and drove home in my (fortunately) long parka and bare feet. It was freezing and the water was filthy. Kinda wanted to shower in Clorox but settled for boiling like a lobster. Never went back, but water parks aren't my thing.....just had wanted to check out the Christmas event but found it lacking in every way. Can't remember the year; been a long time. Still, for many it is a huge loss and that is sad.

The Beach season pass refunds up in the air

http://masonbuzz.com/2012/03/15/the-beach-season-pass-refunds-up-in-the-air/

KIExtreme aerial photos from 2009

The Beach Waterpark Flyover - October 21, 2009

IMG_4108.jpg

KINGS ISLAND EXTENDS SPECIAL TRIAL OFFER TO 2012 BEACH WATERPARK PASSHOLDERS

Thursday, March 15th, 2012

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Kings Island, in conjunction with the Beach Waterpark, announced today that all 2012 Beach season passholders can use their season pass for one complimentary visit to Kings Island and the all-new Soak City Waterpark on the public operating date of their choice between April 28 and May 28.

In addition, as part of the special offer, Beach season passholders can upgrade their pass to a 2012 Kings Island Gold season pass for just $49.99 when the park’s Season Pass Processing Center opens April 13 through Memorial Day, May 28.

A Gold season pass allows unlimited admission to Kings Island and Soak City during all 2012 public operating days and includes a variety of special perks like free season-long parking ($39.99 value), one hour of early ride time every day, discount offers on meals and merchandise, free admission to Halloween Haunt, and much more.

Kings Island opens for its 40th anniversary season April 28. Daily operation begins May 11.

Soak City, a $10 million expansion of Kings Island’s existing waterpark, debuts May 26 and is included free with park admission.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

www.twitter.com/kingsislandpr

I can understand the disapointment of the Christmas event, but I think The Beach is a better water park than Boomerang Bay. I liked that everything was close together, surrounded by trees and hilly. Boomerang Bay is a lot of walking in the hot sun between slides that are spread out pretty far apart, especialy in the area split by the electric lines/ tower, and it is a very flat and boring landscape.

I do agree with you on the layout issues, Mr. Roberts. Even though I don't care for water parks in general - the terrain is more interesting at the Beach. I have walked around the water park at KI a few times and it is very hot and flat. Haven't even gone over there for several years so don't know if there will be more seating and/or shaded areas in the new development but it is certainly needed. It was the holiday event that I found lacking at the Beach; still have fond memories of the original WinterFest at KI, which was so much fun "back in the day." Packed with people having fun and the atmosphere was just magical. It would be great if they would return that in the old-fashioned way............"progress" isn't necessarily progress in many ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad that the Had to close. I've heard rumors that the beach may open back up next year, if the economy gets better that is. Another rumor is if the beach doesn't open in the next year, Kings Island my take a few water slides off their hands........i believe they have the cliff in mind... :awesome:

• 1 month later...

Thousands of people who bought 2012 season passes to the now-closed Beach Waterpark could get some money back if a lawsuit filed Friday is successful.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is suing the Mason water park for violating the state Consumer Sales Practices Act.

Approximately 8,800 passes were purchased for the 2012 season before the water park announced March 9 it would not reopen for the summer.

Read the rest of the article here:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/beach-waterpark-sued-for-failure-to-deliver-1381437.html

Seems to me that after selling approximately 8800 season passes, they should have found a way to open for one more summer. They could probably have even brought in more guests by advertising that it would be the last summer. I know I, at least, would have went if I knew it was going to be the last summer of operation.