Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Holiday World owners involved in Kentucky Kingdom talks

Holiday World owners involved in Kentucky Kingdom talks

http://www.wave3.com/story/16531278/holiday-world-owners-involved-in-kentucky-kingdom-talks

Indiana theme park interested in options for KY Kingdom's future

http://www.wdrb.com/story/16534535/holiday-world

Holiday World Owners Looking at Old Kentucky Kingdom

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1640824

Holiday World Owners Show Interest in Kentucky Kingdom Park

http://surfky.com/index.php/owensboro/51-top-news-for-all-sites/9563-holiday-world-owners-show-interest-in-kentucky-kingdom-park

Hopefully I am wrong, but I doubt Kentucky Kingdom will ever be re-opened. To much red tape to make it happen and too much of an investment needed to get it going.

I have my doubts as well, Mr. Roberts, but Holiday World sure has the means to get it going, I'd think, if anyone could. I like Holiday World a lot but those southern Indiana hills are killer, and Ky Kingdom is easier to traverse. It would be great if they do eventually get it reopened; I liked the look and atmosphere there. It would be a tremendous amount of work but I think it would be profitable if H.W. were running it. They are very good at what they do. And there's a lot of other things to do in Louisville; nice city. Be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

I liked Ky Kingdom; it brought a lot of people into the Louisville area. It would be good for the economy there, providing a lot of jobs. And it was a nice park, just maybe not so well run for awhile. But that could all change.

They could get one good year just of the novelty of re-opening, but they would need something big and new to get people in there for season 2. Is there even room for that?

I'm not sure, Mr. Roberts, of the area available. I heard there was some undeveloped area but don't know if that is true or not. Been several years since I was there and just don't remember or didn't pay attention to the surroundings. I did enjoy the park though. And Holiday World is very good at what they do. If anyone could make a success of it, I'd think it would be them.

I don't think they could turn it exclusively into a water park because they would need to keep a certain amount of dry rides in place for the Kentucky State Fair.

As for the Holiday World owners, I can understand them wanting to grow as a business and expand their operations. It would be much cheaper to re-open a park that already has facilities such as plumbing, electric, and land excavation then it would be to start from scratch on some undeveloped land. I'm just not so sure about Kentucky Kingdom being the best option to do this because of the limited space to work with and the fair committee wanting a huge cut for the use of their half of that very same limited space. As an amusement park fan I would love to see it re-open, but looking at it from a business angle it doesn't sound like a very good long term investment.

Maybe if the State Fair Committee put up half the money to re-open it and they split the profits with Holiday World rather than just sit back and charge Holiday World rent, they might be able to get Kentucky Kingdom to work and make it worth each others time, but the vibe I get is that the State Fair would already be operating the place if they had either the desire or ability to do so. But I'm only assuming and don't really have any insight on what it would take to re-open and operate Kentucky Kingdom.

Edited by SSR1966

Not knowing the Kochs personally, have no idea what type of people they are - to run that kind of place or not. But I don't think it would work just as a water park either. There's a lot of infrastructure in place, as Mr. Roberts mentioned, that would make it much easier to reopen than begin anew. And since HW isn't so far away, it could work as an offshoot of their park. Don't imagine with the economy being what it is that the State Fair people could afford to operate it all summer, but again, I, too, am assuming. We'll all just have to wait and see how this pans out. I would like to see it open again though. And part of being "business" people - or companies - is to take a certain amount of risk. I find it all very interesting.

Welcome to BluegrassBoardwalk.com!

Thank you to the many kind folks who have sent us encouraging emails and cheered us on via social media over the past several weeks – we appreciate your enthusiasm!

Although we’re not yet at the point to be able to make any announcements, we did want to share with everyone that our fact-finding is going well. Here’s an update:

Members of the Koch family in Santa Claus, Indiana, continue to explore re-opening Louisville’s amusement and water park in 2013. Four family members have formed a new company – Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated – to negotiate a lease agreement with the Kentucky State Fair Board, secure financing, and apply for economic development incentives from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. No public monies will be requested from the Kentucky Legislature by Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated.

The members of the Koch family involved in discussions with the Kentucky State Fair Board as Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated are Holiday World president Dan Koch, his sister Natalie Koch, their cousin Kathy Kamp, and her husband, Michael Kamp, who is a General Manager at Holiday World. Dan, Natalie and Kathy are grandchildren of Holiday World’s founder, Louis J. Koch, who opened the park (originally called Santa Claus Land) in 1946.

As updates about Bluegrass Boardwalk are made public, information will be posted online at http://BluegrassBoardwalk.com, on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/BluegrassBoardwalk and via Twitter: @BluegrassBwalk.

I still think this is a terrific idea, Mr. Roberts. When the park was operating before, it certainly did not hurt business at Holiday World and I don't think it will now. Part of sustaining business - any business - is diversifying. I sincerely hope they can pull this off and get this park operational again. It would be a huge boon to the economy of Louisville. And most everyone I know who went to H.W. in the past made a stop at what was then Kentucky Kingdom also. That's what I did. Win-win. The Koch family will succeed at whatever they do, in my opinion.

Looking forward to this becoming a huge hit. Here's hoping the many supportive people will overshadow the few "Debbie Downer" statements I've seen. Go BluegrassBoardwalk!