Sign in to follow this  
Kibaby234

New Ride in 2012?

I've heard there is a lot of rumors swirling around about Kings Island maybe getting a new ride in 2012/13 or maybe reviving Son of Beast, also the facebook page "Save Son of Beast" claims to have inside connections to the park and said, " all i can say is august", this was a response to the question of ,"when will a announcement be made?" . Anyone heard anything?

I wouldn't trust that Facebook page. It's the same one that said there was a tarp on the drop over the winter. I don't think that they've ever been right on their "rumors".

Yea, and there is only one more day of August left. The clock is ticking...

Yes but technically the page was right since an announcement was made regarding something new in 2012 ;)

It's going to be 3 brand new family dryers in Boomerrang Bay! ...Just kidding.

They need a water coaster to keep up with the latest amusement park trends, but whatever they come up with I'm sure it will be something fun for that area.

I can't say I'm all that excited about any of this news. I was perfectly happy with the old wave pool. Maybe a new, none wave pool where people could just swim would be nice. My only complaint with the Crocodile Run (a.k.a. Lazy River) is that the tubes are so thick that your feet can't reach the water and floating into someone's bare feet is kind of gross. I liked the lazy aspect of it and would have rode the White Water Canyon if I wanted rapids and people shooting water cannons at me. I think the new entrance will be an improvement but I doubt many people are going to be flocking there just to see it. I doubt I'll ever use the new volleyball area. They really needed a new slide or water coaster to sell all of this. People might have been more excited about a new slide. Was anyone even complaining that the old wave pool wasn't good enough? I'll be honest, this was the first year that I have ever used the water park and I've since been 3 times. I really enjoyed it, but if anything, a couple of those slides seemed a bit worn out. You can feel the seems were the tubes conect all the way down. It was almost like getting flogged as you rode. I noticed this on the white family raft ride and one of the lay down ones. These slides seemed to be in more need of replacement or improvements than the wave pool. And I think re-painting and re-naming everything doesn't make it new. It might make it look fresh, but it's still all the same stuff in the same locations.

I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm complaining, because it's not like any of this is going to ruin the water park (or any of the rest of the park) for me, I just wish Kings Island would have put more thought into what would have brought more people to visit. A slide or water coaster might have done it but a second wave pool and new decorations I don't think will do as much.

Edited by SSR1966

Well, SSR1966, I agree with some of your thoughts, but not all.

Since you have never been to Boomerang Bay on a Saturday, or any other extremely hot busy day, it may have never occurred to you that the wave pool might be over crowded. Me personally, I've always made a point NOT to go to the water park on extremely hot and busy days because I figured it would be crowded, but being over crowded never occurred to me. And the wave pool is where most people set up camp for the day, so more space is a good thing. I'm thinking a second wave pool is actually a really good idea, and the fact that it's a bit more aggressive and big enough to take pool rafts into is also an improvement. It gives people a choice.

I'm also a big fan of more shade trees.

As for the Crocodile Run, I'm also NOT on board with making it more aggressive. I also like the relaxing aspect of it. Someone pointed out that you can maneuver around all the waterfalls and canons, but your not relaxed if your trying to maneuver an obstacle course. But I guess it can't be too aggressive unless they're planning on padding the pool walls, so I will wait and see how this turns out before I pass judgment on it. And I agree that the tubs need to be thinner after seeing people almost get bare feet in there face or on their shoulders. Gross.

With so much stuff to do at Kings Island, I can't see anyone wanting to kill time playing vollyball, but I don't understand kids who pay all that money to get in just to play video games either, so we'll see how this pans out.

The new entrance, I'm sure, will be nice, but new entrance leads me to suspect separate (one for dry park, one for wet) admissions sometime in the not to distant future. You should try to get as much water park stuff in as possible in the next season or two just to be on the safe side. I would hate to see them cut off from each other because I rather enjoy the ladies walking around in the bikini tops everywhere in the park.

I think all of these new water park things are needed improvements to make the area better, not necessarily to attract new people. The mistake was that the powers that be should have just announced that they were going to be doing some remodeling rather than build anticipation for it, like it was some going to be something grand, like new slides or water coaster. Regardless, there are always going to be complaining no matter what the park does.

The new landscape does open this area for future expansion. If that is the plan, it might have helped if they called it "Soak City: Phase 1." This would imply that there could be that slide or water coaster in the not too distant future. Although, if there is a plan for separate admissions someday, I would be betting it most likely to happen with the arrival of a new water coaster or super slide.

I agree, however, that putting new paint on the same old stuff doesn't make it new, just fresh, but fresh is good too. And Boomerang Bay could use a new coat of fresh.

You bring up some good counter points, SSR1966. You've given me lots to think about. I have never been to Boomerang Bay on a hot crowded Saturday either. The existing wave pool is so big I can't imagine it being so completely filled with people that it would be too crowded to move around. I wonder how high the water level rises when it's that full?

As for Crocodile Run, if they could put some shade netting over it so your not frying like bacon with the sun in your face, that would be the greatest improvement of all. You know, that shade netting like over some of the line cues, where you can still see the sky but the sun light is diffused? And if they let you bring in your own floaters instead of only being allowed to use their tubes, that would be awesome.

The two days I was there, I was able to ride all the adult water slides in just over two hours, then we spent approximately an hour in the wave pool... and then we were finished. If they were to charge a separate admission, I would be hard pressed to pay too much when my attention span for the place is only about four hours.

You know The Coolangatta Racer, where you go down head first on a mat? I rode that and the mat popped up and punched me really hard in my left open eye. It hurt so bad that I was dazed and confused when I reached the pool at the bottom and had barely any balance as I exited. I really thought my eye was going to turn black, but it didn't.

I think the Snowy River Rampage is the white raft family slide that you can feel the joints where the pieces fit together. It's not so bad that it's painful, but they are definitely noticeable. Maybe they should add a warning that people with hemorrhoids should not ride?

I enjoyed myself and I'm going to try and take more advantage of Soak City next year. The only reason I haven't been until this year is because my friend who usually goes to the park with me is so self conscious about his body shape that he wear layers of clothes even when it's 97 degrees out. Getting him into trunks and a wet shirt is near impossible. I thank Kings Island for bring a friend for $19.99 week this past August! I was able to bring two friends who normally can't afford to go and they were both more than happy to try out Boomerang Bay.

I think your both crazy. The Lazy River definitely needs to be more aggressive because right now it is frickin' boring. It takes forever to get around that entire thing! If they had more than one spot where people could climb in and out I would have jumped raft about half way through. My buddy kept saying how bored he was and that he didn't think he was lazy enough to make it all the way back around to the entrance. He ended up entertaining himself by scooping fallen leaves out of the water and sticking them to his face, chest, shoulders and arms. Yea, he's a little weird, but in a funny way. There were quite a bit of floating fallen leaves already for only being August. Maybe Crocodile Run needs three or four entrances instead of only one.

I am enjoying this "exchange" of ideas, Mr. Roberts. Very entertaining. The water park, by any name, is not for me, but I'm sure many will enjoy whatever changes and/or improvements they make. Would just rather see more flat rides myself.

I was just looking at the map found inside the park guide and I noticed that Boomerang Bay is the only area that has a fence illustrated all the way around it. All the rest of the park is drawn "open," like people might be free to graze. There's not even a fence separating the parking lot from the park. Hmmmm... Maybe SSR1966 is on to something about the possibility of Soak City being a separate admission someday...

That's weird! I never noticed the fence thing until you pointed it out. Maybe it was already drawn in so that it wouldn't have to be airbrushed in sometime later down the road, after the two areas become separate admissions. I went back and looked at a 2007 park map and it did have some fencing drawn in the front, around the entrance, but not all the way around the entire thing like the 2011 map. That would suck to have to pay extra or a separate fee for Soak City, but I imagine running all those water flumes can get quite expensive. Separate admissions would probably cut the wet park's crowds down, however, because it will cut down on poor minimum wage workers like myself from being able to afford getting in.

I think your diving off the deep end (no pun intended) by rushing to the conclusion that you would no longer be able to afford the water park. I'm sure it will be priced cheaper than The Beach, at least until The Beach is ran out of business. And you always get a Gold Pass anyway and I would think that would be good at both parks.

Wait-a-minute. Does Ceder Point have a Gold Pass? I just looked and all I saw for sale was regular passes and Platinum passes. Out of those two, only the Platinum pass is good at both Ceder Point and Soak City. Not being able to compare, I can't say if the Gold Pass will cover both parks or not. Of course this is all just speculation anyway and the park previously known as Boomerang Bay might never cost extra or separate admission. At least we know it won't in 2012 so I suggest going there so much that you burn yourself out on it, then if it cost extra in 2013, you won't care because you will be sick of the place anyway. Right?

Well, I had been to Surf Cincinnati once and The Beach once (not counting the Beach On Ice), both back in the 90's, but had never used Kings Island's water park until this year, at the tail end of the season. I enjoyed myself, but obviously it wouldn't be too big of a deal to me if I never went again, in the event that the Kings Island Gold Pass no longer worked there. In a perfect world I would be able to afford a Platinum Pass and the gas needed to drive to all of these wonderful parks, like Ceder Point and Kings Dominion, but the reality is that I can not afford it and don't expect to be able to afford it any time in the near future. So if one day down the road I find that I can only get into the dry side of Kings Island with my Gold Pass then I will not cry or complain (much), because its been plenty enough up until now and I'll consider myself lucky to still have it in the future. Heck, I'll consider myself lucky if I'm not living in my car the way the future is looking.

Hey SSR1966, can you see what I'm doing here? Right here? I'm playing 'My Heart Bleeds Only For You' on the worlds smallest violin. You need to realize that everything the park does isn't always about you. However, in this particular case, it DOES happen to be all about me. I hope they do charge separate admissions for Soak City someday so it won't be as crowded for me and my family when we go. Sure, the park might lose some attendance which would cut back on food and souvenir sales inside the water park, but to have all that space in two separate wave pools and short lines for slides, it will be AWESOME! I guess maybe you should have went to college like me and then maybe, just maybe, you could afford to pay to get inside the water park (or buy a Platinum Pass) too! (Not that a college degree insures a good paying job these days). Heck, if you can't afford to pay to get in the water park you probably can't afford any souvenirs either, so you are just a body taking up wave pool space and making my Down Under Thunder wait just that much longer. Sorry about your luck, but money talks and minimum wage workers walk. In the event the two sides of the park do happen to split up, be sure to check out all the pictures of me and my family having a good time in a spacious, none crowded park that I post in my trip reports on the message boards!

Edited by SSR1966

Yea, I could have sugar coated it and worded it in a less abrasive way, but I figured I would instead just get to the point, that it's easy for me to point out how self centered people are that are crying about a new wave pool instead of a coaster, when in fact, I'm being just as self centered by scolding them for expressing their opinions that don't agree with my opinion. A new wave pool and separate admission works out perfectly for me and my family, I do not care that it does not work out for you so you should just shut up. My opinions aren't whinny or angry when I post them, so therefor I'm smarter and more mature so my opinions must be the correct opinions. Right? It's not always about how it's worded, but what the real message is between the lines.

Edited by SSR1966

Sounds to me like your just trying to justify how mean you are. Regardless, I think it's all moot because I doubt there will ever be separate admissions anyway. And if I'm wrong, then "Oh' well." The park has to do what the park has to do to stay afloat and continue to grow n these desperate times. More power to them. Don't like it? There are plenty of other things you can do for fun that will save you money, like go to lakes and nature parks. It's not like Kings Island is the only option for entertainment. A great option, for sure, but not the only option.

This is just too funny, Mr. Roberts. I'd like to have you on my side - it would win - on a debate team. And you're right, the park is far from being the only option for entertainment. If you read the papers or look on line there are tons of free events out there. Lot of people take advantage of them and more so in these trying economic times. Keep up the good work.