Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

New for 2011: WindSeeker!

WindSeeker

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/rides/thrill_rides/windseeker.cfm

WindSeeker to debut at Kings Island in 2011

301-foot-tall swing ride to send adventure seekers soaring

If you think riding Drop Tower at Kings Island is a thrill (and it is – riders enjoy a breathtaking view of the region as they ascend toward the sky, then take a 26-story freefall at 64 mph), wait until next year!

Kings Island will continue to change the landscape for thrill seekers in 2011 with WindSeeker, a 301-foot-tall tower that will spin riders 30 stories above the park. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders will slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings will reach speeds up to 30 mph, flaring out 45 degrees from the tower. WindSeeker will accommodate 64 riders (32 swings) per ride cycle.

"The addition of WindSeeker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and fantastic family entertainment," Kings Island vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "Soaring 300 feet above Kings Island will provide an exciting ride experience for our guests."

WindSeeker will be located in the Coney Mall section of the park near the Vortex ride exit.

The $5 million ride is manufactured by Mondial (pronounced mohn-DEE-ahl), a 23-year-old Dutch-based company. Riders must be at least 48 inches tall to ride and will be secured with individual over-the-head lap bars with interlocking seat belts.

WindSeeker will make its debut when Kings Island opens for the 2011 season in the spring.

Located in: Coney Mall

Height Requirement: 48"

Ascent / Decent 50 seconds each

Capacity 1,280 per hour

Diameter 110' full swing

Manufacturer Mondial

Max Swing Angle Up to 45 degrees

Ride Time 3 min., 0 sec.

Rotation Speed 8 RPM max

Year Opened 2011

WindSeeker Video

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/_includes/flash/videoPlayer/videoDisplay.cfm?video=http://cfki.media.cfnslb1.cedarfair.com/videos/inside_park/rides/thrill_rides/_cfkicap2011/__windseeker2011_MP4_640.mp4

Watch Kings Island's 'Windseeker' Announcement

http://www.wlwt.com/video/24744624/detail.html

Kings Island's new ride: WindSeeker

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100824/NEWS01/308240026/1055/NEWS/Kings-Island-s-new-ride-WindSeeker

New Kings Island Attraction To Be 'WindSeeker'

http://www.wlwt.com/news/24741805/detail.html

301-foot tall WindSeeker is Kings Island’s newest ride

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/301-foot-tall-windseeker-is-kings-islands-newest-ride-877743.html

At first glance I could see how fans might be disappointed with another swing ride, but if you really think about it, Drop Tower is pretty damn scary and this thing goes higher than that. Plus your swinging around in the open air that high up off the ground. Although it looks like a laid back ride from the ground, I think once your up there it's going to be a different story.

Unfortunately this isn't enough to make me want to get a pass in 2011. Perhaps they'll add something that interests me in 2012 :(

Hey I know that swinging high in the sky is probably more fun than it looks... also probably an insane cool off ride. So if people don't want to ride just because they think it's lame... let them leave... that'll just leave shorter lines for me :)

Also, the most recent flat ride/ thrill put in was Delirium, and those lines stay around 15 minutes max on an average day. The lines I think were a good hour or two opening week. Do you think the lines for this new ride will be an hour? I sure hope it's not.

Edited by calakapepe

It doesnt look like that great of a ride but you may never know. Swinging that high my be very scary because everytime I get on DropZone It still scares the [Censored] out of me but I love DropZone.

I don't get it. If KI wasn't getting a new ride you'd be complaining. KI gets a new ride and you're complaining. The park lacks in flat rides and this one will help fill that void. It's being placed in an area that desperately needs something new. You don't think looking down on Vortex from that high up wouldn't be thrilling?

The only thing I don't understand is that both Ohio parks are getting this at the same time.

My guess is that they got a deal by buying in bulk.

Although I would like to go someday, I have never been to Ceder Point. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I have just never been able to afford it. I bet there are people up north who have never been to Kings Island. For some it may be a money issue. For others, they probably just can't justify driving for four hours when they already have a park much closer to home. The coaster fans and ride warriors we know from the message boards and in real life, who will drive across the state just to try a new ride are actually a very small percentage of the people who attend these parks each year. With that in mind, I think it makes perfect sense to debut the ride in multiple parks. I bet both parks will have huge lines for this ride come opening day in 2011.

But again, that's just my best guess.

When I heard a week before I went to Cedar Point, that they were getting a new thrill ride. I was feeling kinda sad that I wouldn't get to ride it, since I never go to parks every year when they are far away. But since Kings Island is getting an identical ride, I don't have to worry :)

I don't get it. If KI wasn't getting a new ride you'd be complaining. KI gets a new ride and you're complaining. The park lacks in flat rides and this one will help fill that void. It's being placed in an area that desperately needs something new. You don't think looking down on Vortex from that high up wouldn't be thrilling?

The only thing I don't understand is that both Ohio parks are getting this at the same time.

those are my exact thoughts. im just glad to see KI getting a new flat because they are in desperate need of a new flat and at least its something BIG and eye catching with good capacity. im not complaining. i want to ride this next year. it may not be a big fast coaster but its something ive never ridden before and im always down for that. it reminds me a lot of the old Flight Commander..just how it looks in the animation anyways.

is it going where Flight Commander once sat? do you think they will have First Rider tees on opening day? LOL

those are my exact thoughts. im just glad to see KI getting a new flat because they are in desperate need of a new flat and at least its something BIG and eye catching with good capacity. im not complaining. i want to ride this next year. it may not be a big fast coaster but its something ive never ridden before and im always down for that. it reminds me a lot of the old Flight Commander..just how it looks in the animation anyways.

is it going where Flight Commander once sat? do you think they will have First Rider tees on opening day? LOL

I wasn't complaining I was just saying that it didnt look like that much fun, but I have never been on anything like that before, so I dont know it might be a whole lot of fun. Im also glad they are getting it I didnt say I wanst happy they were not getting it.

It's not where Flight Commander was, I would like them to renovate the Queue and move the pitching game so that they can put a different flat there. Maybe something like Chaos, or a Rock-O-Planes.

But the wind seeker is going to be at the back end of Coney Mall next to the entrance of the 3d theater and the exit of Vortex.

Edited by calakapepe

Check out the last picture. Racer is running backwards. That changed in 2006 or 2007.

That only makes me wish that 2011 also brings the return of the backwards train.

Check out the last picture. Racer is running backwards. That changed in 2006 or 2007.

That only makes me wish that 2011 also brings the return of the backwards train.

Maybe its a clue :-)

I'm tired of clues. Why can't they just announce a ride instead of making it just a big deal? I wouldn't be surprised if they were revealing a new kids ride and had clues to it. Just announce the darn ride!

I'm tired of clues. Why can't they just announce a ride instead of making it just a big deal? I wouldn't be surprised if they were revealing a new kids ride and had clues to it. Just announce the darn ride!

It's all about marketing and keeping people interested in the park.