Sign in to follow this  
SunriseSets

Cedar Point Excursion

This summer (late July), I'm going to be taking a trip to Cedar Point with a friend. Neither of us have been there before.

To anyone familiar with Cedar Point:

- How many days do you recommend visiting the park?

- Any advice on navigating, what to ride first, places to eat, etc?

- Where's a good (and relatively inexpensive) place to stay close to the park?

Since we're also going to be spending at least one day at KI before departing, we're considering Platinum Passes. Any other advice would be welcome, too. :D

Thanks!

2 or 3 days should be enough. Considering your trip is in July, expect at least and hour to an hour and a half wait for the major coasters. I would recommend staying at the Breakers Express. Its not really the nicest hotel but it is relatively cheap and it gets you into the park an hour early for ERT. I would STRONGLY recommend a Platinum Pass though expecially if you are going to Kings Island. As far as eating in the park. We always go to Midway Market. Its an all you can eat buffet. While the food isnt the greatest, it is still really good for the money(about $12 for lunch and $15 for dinner).

Edited by corn4ahead

Yeah, July isn't exactly the best time of year to travel to Cedar Point, but it's the only time our schedules will allow.

Passes do seem in order! Thanks for the recommendations!

I haven't been to the Midway Market, but I do hear that its a decent value. A few other places to go, especially if your going to be staying for multiple days, if the Game Day Grille and Famous Dave's. The Game Day is a nice little sports bar with good food at a decent price, tucked back underneath (literally) Raptor. Its over by the Blue Streak entrance. Famous Dave's is actually outside the park at the marina, but you can just exit at the marina entrance, get a hand stamp, eat, and come back in. Its a great place, fantastic food, and (since its not operated by the park, at least that I know of), the prices aren't ridiculously high. I would strongly suggest getting at least one meal there, as they're someplace you don't want to miss.

2 or 3 days will definitely be enough to get through the park. If you can, try to schedule the trip in the middle of the week (Tues. - Thurs.). That way, at least 2 of the days will be in the "dead" time and could be fairly empty. Just avoid weekends at all costs.

I generally start near the back of the park, but with Maverick and STR back there, it'll probably be a little more crowded there than it used to be. If you get ERT, take advantage of that, especially if its looking to be a busy day. Once the park opens, I would try to get Magnum and TTD in first, since they're near each other. Then just work your way around the park and get as many rides as you can in. Then, the next day or two can be spent getting rides that you missed, catching shows, riding some of the flats (maXair and Skyhawk are a must), and getting re-rides in on the others. It shouldn't be too terribly crowded if you avoid weekends.

Have fun!

Wow - I've apparently been neglecting this thread. Thank you so much, DiSab! I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind. It looks as if I will be able to make two trips to Cedar Point this summer, with two different groups of people. I did, as suggested, get a Platinum Pass... which has already been worth it by the number of times I've gone to KI.

Time to go find and print a Cedar Point park map...

Thanks for the links! Do you know if there exists a printable park map with labels? The PDF is nice, but it would certainly be useful if things were labeled...

On a different note, I filled out an online request for a Getaway Guide... anyone know anything about this?

Unfortunately I don't think there's a printable map with the labels, at least not a current one.

There's a scan of a 2007 map here with some labels, but it's three years old: http://themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2007/cp2007.html

Getaway Guide can be useful, but it's not as good as it used to be. There's still some useful coupons and general info in it, but not much that you can't get on cedarpoint.com