Sign in to follow this  
MaestroFanatic

What if The Bat never existed?

As the title says, what if The Bat, or suspended coasters for that matter, never existed. I've taken this discussion up with my friend, LordSkippy, recently and he thought the roller coaster industry and Kings Island would not be the same. I wonder what you guys think would happen. And if this is in the wrong spot, sorry. It looked right since it was The Bat I'm talking of.

And LordSkippy, could you post what you said?

Well, if you say so...

First off, there would most likely still be suspended coasters, but it would have taken a few more years to be built at a diffrent park. Vortex probably wouldn't exist, either-a diffrent innovative coaster would have probably be built in that area. Also, King Cobra probably would have never been built-if I remember correctly, it was built as sort of a distraction from the Bat-along with the backwards Racer, which, if I also remember correctly, was the first time coaster cars were turned backwards. Oh, and Vortex wouldn't have such an interesting station...

But that's just what I think.

To take this one step further...If KI didn't exist in general. For one thing, we all would be very bored. Also it's quite possible that coasters as we know them wouldn't exist at all. The Racer is widely credited as re-energizing the then dying coaster.

But anyway, on topic...

That's a good question, I'm sure someone would have eventually built something similar, but possibly without some of the problems The Bat had.

this is actually kind of scary to think about what the amusement park industry would have been like without innovative park chains, like paramount and cedar fair, that have taken the risk and placed prototypes of many different types of attractions in their parks.

Well, without parks/park chains that installed innovative/prototype rides, there wouldn't be amusement parks. Every ride is new at some point, and in order to make new rides, you have to take the risk that the ride will be a complete failure.

Edited by LordSkippy

First - Cedar Fair and prototypes cannot be used in the same sentence. They are not known for introducing cutting edge rides in their parks unlike Kings Island of old. They let someone else do it and if it is successful they just take the concept further (i.e. Raptor, Wicked Twister). I applaud Taft Broadcasting for willing to take chances in making Kings Island stand out more from the competition back in the day.

Let's switch this question around. What if The Bat was a success. How different would Kings Island be today? Would a vastly different Vortex been built but in a different location? Would Racer still be turned backwards?

^I knew someone would bring up those two rides but those two rides are not exactly prototypes like The Bat and King Cobra, or even stretching it here, Stealth, were.

To be technical Knott's Xcelerator had the hydraulic launch before Dragster but that just proves my point as far as CP is concerned. They take a concept but just try to refine it for the flagship. All they did was take Xcelerator and take it extremely high.

Before someone else says anything, launched coasters were not groundbreaking when Xcelerator/Dragster was built but the mechanics of how it was launched was.

Millennium Force - it's just a Magnum on steroids. Again, not a prototype overall but the lift mechanism is.

Cedar Fair owned Knott's at the time. So prototype and Cedar Fair can most certainly be used in the same sentence.

Paramount Parks did lots of prototypes, to mixed results...from Hypersonic XLC to Stealth to Son of Beast to Volcano: The Blast Coaster to The Outer Limits: Flights of Fear.