Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Reports: Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium

as terrible as it is, at the same time im more on the animals side. im against captivity. these people know what theyre getting into everyday. climbing into the tank of a 12,000 pound animal they know that at any given moment that animal can turn on them. theyre still wild. i dont care how "well taken care of" these animals are, i just hate the idea that these beautiful creatures are kept in concrete fishbowls and made to be slaves to entertainment day in and day out. its not natural at all.

while sad that people lose their lives, you have to remember, you cant take away a WILD animals natural instincts. they get fed up too. and its just an eye opener to the blind hoards of people that these animals just dont belong in captivity. the only time i even remotely see it fit is if the animal is unable to be released into the wild due to injury/illness/etc. but to take a perfectly healthy animal out of its native waters and put it into a jail cell of a pool...is just wrong.

i know i sound like one of those crazy activists...well im not exactly an activist but i just dont support captivity of these animals. my heart goes out to the trainer's family...but again...these people know they are putting their lives at risk day in and day out to work with a wild animal and they are the ones getting into the tank.

From my understanding, most of the animals are indeed either rescued or a result of the breeding program they have.

Tilikum in apart of that breeding program. He will not be released into the wild.

Now, What I think needs to happen. I think SWO should build a large tank that can house the retired whales. There is not an efficient viewing area to just go sit and look at them like they have for dolphin viewing.

It should be attached to the stadium pools so moving the animals will be easier and less stressful than crane lifting.

I believe the whale was either being playful, or was excited by the food. The woman was too close to the whale, and should have had her hair tied up better.

However, I think it really was an accident. The whale had no idea he was hurting the woman. One thing you have to remember when dealing with animals in captivity, when things go wrong, it is NEVER the animals fault.

he has killed two other people and is known to be more aggressive then the other orcas. he wasnt playing. they reported he was showing signs of agitation earlier on. "captive bred" or not does not "erase" their natural wild instincts. theyre still wild. thats like a hybrid dog thats half wolf and and have husky/shepherd. it may have some domestic blood in its veins but the wolf linage will always out win. it will not be your predictable companion animal. you cant get rid of that. same with the captive bred orcas and dolphins...theyre still wild animals and will act out without warning.

i just dont support the entertainment industry exploiting them. if you really want to learn something about orcas, go watch them from a boat in their natural habitat. there you can see them doing what they do naturally in their native oceans instead of stupid circus tricks in the confines of a small tank. its about money, not about conservation to these people who run these sea prisons.

if they can rehabilitate Keiko ( the whale that starred in Free Willy ) they can do the same for any of these whales...or at least retire them to a sea pen in their native waters where they won't be forced to do tricks or deal with the obnoxious tourists. they can at least live out their years in the natural settting and flow of the ocean. orcas just dont live long in captivity. they are not suited for it. orcas can live for MANY MANY years, longer than you might even expect in the wild but most captive orcas barely make it to their teens and 20s due to the high amounts of stress they are exposed to.

about keiko, they had a very difficult time releasing him into the wild because he was not an experienced hunter, i don't think they have the time and money to be doing that for all of their killer whales.

sheikra_rocks, i agree, it would be great to have a giant tank for the "retired" orcas to swim in.

Keiko was NOT ready to be released. They ran out of money and released him to early... "he showed up in Norway begging boaters for food. He was not healthy and died of pneumonia."

So releasing the whale did more harm than good. For those of you who are for the animal being released, think about what happened to Keiko.

Here's my 2 cents...

Killer Whales,Dolphins,Seals are wild animals I don't care if they are bred in captivity they are still wild.However, I'd trust an animal before a human because we as humans hold grudges and we premeditate animals don't if they don't like you they will let you know! I think the whale was having a bad day or maybe he was wanting to play..whatever the reason it's not the animals fault you can't blame the whale when we as people have *them* confined in a concrete homes and what not.

Those instincts are still there ... I remember when the Monterey Bay Aquarium tried to have a Great White Shark in captivity and it kept killing the other sharks and it got really sick and had to be released into the ocean.

My Opinion bottom line : People want to cage up animals and study them...I wish we as people would leave the animals alone. Sure studying them is fine but do we really need to enclose them? Maybe if the animal was endangered but that's really the only reason to breed an animal in captivity. Leave the animals alone!

Remember when the lion country safari accident...

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

I honestly think the whale is a danger. You cant put it into the ocean or whatever. It doesn't hunt it's own food, It gets handed fish to him. I think there is nothing wrong about using animals for shows. It has never seen the ocean before. It has killed 2 people. I think the only option is to euthanize it before it kills anyone else. I know that sounds harsh but, what are you going to do with it? I don't think zoos have killer whales?

It has never seen the ocean before.

he was fetched from the ocean when he was two (or at least that's how old they believe he was)

as for killing him, he is too much of an investment to the seaworld franchise for them to just up and kill him, he has fathered 14 calves successfully and one not so successfully (it passed away when it was four or five i believe).

plus, he is just a very curious animal and because of that, and his enormous size,he has gotten himself into trouble, it's not like he is this giant killing machine like some seem to think he is.