Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Crypt ridership up in 2009

The only reason it probably went up is due to the fact everyone heard about the new ride program. It'll probably plummet next year now that most people know it'll probably have a lame program for the rest of its existance.

That's exactly what I was thinking! It's no wonder it had so many more riders. When it had the awesome more intense program, it was closed half the time!

I have commented to this in the past. KI should model their "Top Spin" Like KD Crypt. I rode it last season several times thinking this is how Kings Island Crypt should run. The fire and water effects make this a cool ride experience. Just my opinion.

I have commented to this in the past. KI should model their "Top Spin" Like KD Crypt. I rode it last season several times thinking this is how Kings Island Crypt should run. The fire and water effects make this a cool ride experience. Just my opinion.

Oh, it used to! Trust me... :\

But as for why ridership is up, I'm sure it's combination of less downtime, and a ride cycle that lasts just over a minute... Certainly quite short compared with Tomb Raider: The Ride's original ride time of well over two and a half minutes (not including boarding & disembarking time).

There seem to be many different things all battling to change the Crypt's ridership:

1) Word of mouth gets out and people no longer want to ride it (I've heard more than one "This is where Tomb Raider used to be, right?" followed by a brief explanation and the questioners immediately leaving the line).

2) It's incredibly less intense than any of its other incarnations (TRI, TRII, Crypt I...), and actually works as a great introduction ride for kids before getting on the more intense things, and I'm sure people are starting to learn that.

3) Thrill seekers are altogether not happy about the program.

4) Theme seekers are altogether not happy about the themeimg.

5) There's rarely a line and it's a great way to get out of the heat.

In other words, the Crypt is attracting new and different riders than ever in the past... Change the intensity rating to a 4 (maybe even 3) and the ride wouldn't be half bad (it's been marketed completely incorrectly - see, Backlot Stunt Coaster - also, having that "This Ride Now Has More Thrills!" sign originally posted outside the Crypt when it was first transformed is now incredibly hilarious). I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd give my left lung to get Tomb Raider back, but I much prefer the current 2 flip program over the previous 8 flip - it was honestly just too much. I love that cycle on suspended top spins, but on our Giant top spin, it was honestly just too much - too big, too forceful, and I've never been sick before on a ride but it was honestly draining to ride it with 8 flips.