Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

KIExtreme Awards 2009 - Haunt Edition

Voting: KIExtreme Awards 2009 Haunt Edition  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite haunted house at Halloween Haunt 2009?

• Club Blood
    • Slaughterhouse
    • Massacre Manor
    • Urgent Scare
    • Death Row
    • CarnEVIL
  2. 2. What was your favorite haunted trail at Halloween Haunt 2009?

• CornSTALKERS
    • Cut Throat Cove
    • Trail of Terror
    • Cemetery Drive
    • Tombstone Terror-tory
  3. 3. What was the best "live" show at Halloween Haunt 2009?

• Hot Blooded
    • Ghouls Gone Wild
  4. 4. What was the best new attraction at Halloween Haunt 2009?

• Cut Throat Cove
    • Slaughterhouse
    • Hot Blooded
    • RIP Tours
  5. 5. What was the best Howl-O-Fest attraction?

• Twisted Tales Maze
    • Tractor Town
    • Pumpkin Patch
    • Haybale Maze
    • Mr. Cowpie's Petting Zoo
    • Mr. Cowpie Scared Silly
    • Other
    • I didn't attend Howl-O-Fest

Now that the primary KIExtreme Awards for the 2009 season have been concluded, it's time for the Halloween Haunt edition!

Vote for your favorite attractions from Halloween Haunt 2009! Deadline for voting will be 11:59 PM on Sunday, January 31.

For the polls and results from the primary awards, see below:

Part 1: http://www.kiextreme.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5011

Part 2: http://www.kiextreme.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5014

The way the poll is set up I can not vote...because as it is I have to choose something in each catagory even if I either can't, or don't want to...for example. I did not watch either live show...so for me to vote for either one of them would not be accurate. The catagory of "Best New Attraction" is laughable...I would not vote for any of the 2 Haunts...I didn't think ANY of them were worthy...it would be like asking me if I would rather beaten or strangled! :rolleyes: (And once again, I didn't watch Hot Blooded so I couldn't honestly vote for it either.)

My votes:

1. Club Blood. A bit of a step down from last year, in my opinion, but still pretty cool. The scareactors just didn't seem as into it for Haunt '09, and the sexualization of the house was up a bit, but it still delivered scares in an atmosphere that the others just couldn't meet for me.

2. CornSTALKERS. Definitely better than last year, and last year it was my #2 Haunt. This time around, it was my favorite Haunt of the event. I remember reading, just after Haunt started, someone comparing CornSTALKERS '08 to '09 and saying that reversing the flow of victims so that Drop Tower wasn't looming overhead made a huge difference. You, sir and/or ma'am, were correct. The pitch-black trail, combined with scareactors excited about their jobs dressed in (in my opinion) perfect costumes, and its chokingly thick fog machines that gave no promise of not jumping on the other side. And let me tell you, I jumped every time. There was always at least one scareactor on the other side that was more than prepared to get in your personal bubble. They were really on top of it- once, when preparing to go through, the spiel-delivering actor at the beginning of the trail began to make 'pleasant' conversation (all in character, of course) with my friend, eventually asking her name after attempting to 'calm' her about going through. When she replied accordingly, he turned and shouted at the top of his lungs, "HANNAH'S COMIN'!" We had our laughs about it, of course; but once we started going through, when the actors would get in our faces, they'd slowly groan/growl/whatever for Hannah and occasionally alert others down the trail that Hannah was in fact still coming. :lol: I definitely enjoyed that, despite its minor creepy factor, and I hope it's actually a part of training for scareactors that will remain for years to come. It would definitely make me want to bring more easily-frightened friends of mine for a Haunt visit, as I can definitely see this sort of thing scaring more timid guests.

3. Ghouls Gone Wild. Basically an arbitrary choice. I didn't watch either Haunt show.

4. Slaughterhouse. Didn't see Hot Blooded or partake in an RIP tour, but Slaughterhouse's incredibly dark, scareactor-filled (and at times claustrophobic) atmosphere wasn't even in the same league as Cut Throat Cove. Absolutely no offense to any Haunt employees reading this, but Cut Throat Cove, when I experienced it, seemed like it was perfectly set up for completely unexpected scares that were never utilized by staff that felt it was just easier to apathetically stand around and shriek loudly every once in a while. Not to mention that the whole second half was devoid of scares. I mean... if you're going to (maybe) shriek at me, could ya at least take the time to place yourself behind some barrels or something? Slaughterhouse, on the other hand, very nearly had me jumping at every turn. The mix of mannequins and sense of urgency adrenaline tends to give after a really good scare had me basically flipping out about if the few very still silhouettes in room corners were going to try to (to my 'disappointment') scare me- and let me tell you, I was 'let down' many times. ;) Slaughterhouse, though still not my favorite Haunt, was definitely my favorite '09 addition.

5. Didn't attend. Having no kids and an hour drive to KI myself, I couldn't really justify trying to experience it.

Edited by TombRaiderFTW

^Now THAT's a reply! :)

Your Cornstalkers' experience sounded great.

I agree with you...and I think every review I have read does also, Cut Throat Cove was a waste...because I had read several bad comments about it before I went I had my expectations set REALLY low...but after going through it I was STILL surprised how bad it was!

I had 2 problems with Slaughterhouse...the comic stuffed animals at the end totally ruined the mood...I would have rather there been just empty stalls...and number 2 was that I only made it through it once...and we were "lucky" enough to have one of the park security guards walking slowly behind our group with a loud walkie-talkie/radio...for almost the whole trip through the haunt she kept commenting to someone about something on the radio...it wasn't until we turned around and kind of stared at her that she got the hint that it was annoying.

I put Massacre Manor as my favorite Haunted House, only because I only went through it, and Urgent Scare in 2009, and Urgent Scare sucked. I voted Cemetery Drive as my favorite trail because that was the only one I went through in 2009. Live show... Hot Blooded, technically I didn't see both this year but I saw Ghouls gone wild in 2008 and I saw Hot Blooded on youtube, and it's much better. I voted Hot Blooded as the best new haunt attraction for 2009 because it's the only one I actually experienced. Lastly, I didn't even go to Howl-o-Fest so I voted "I didn't attend Howl-O-Fest."