TheSkipper

Diamondback renamed & other rumors

I had heard some rumors and I wanted to share them with you so you see if they are true or not, here they are:

Rumor #1 The fountains in front of the Eiffel Tower are getting removed

Rumor #2 Is the newest ride Diamondback getting a name change for 2010

Rumor #3 The Son of Beast is getting reopened next year.

Why would they rename Diamondback. It makes absolutely no sense.

I am sure that Kings Island has the rights to "Diamondback".

I am also sure that Frontier City has the rights to "Diamond Back".

They describe the same thing, but it is the way it is spelled.

No argument in a court of law.

That video was OBVIOUSLY a blow at Cedar Fair and how they suck at renaming their rides. Such as Top Gun to Flight Deck, Italian Job to Back Lot. Drop Zone to Drop Tower.

Reptile Cage is just plain stupid.

Kings Island and Cedar Fair got express consent from Frontier City to name Diamondback what they did.

Not to mention the marketing areas for the two rides are totally different. I doubt Kings Island has much market presence in Oklahoma. Most there have never heard of the park, or, if they have, couldn't tell you where it is or the name of two rides there. I doubt Frontier City has much market presence in KY-OH-IN. Most there have never heard of Frontier City.

That "Reptile Cage" thing was on Youtube in like, June (a long time ago). Diamondback's name will not be changed (never say never, of course, but it is NOT going to be Reptile Cage, and you can be 99.9999% sure it'll be Diamondback for quite a long time).

EDIT: Correction, the Reptile Cage video was put on Youtube on April 24th... What was that, Diamondback's second weekend of operation? Why would they make a name-change announcement one week into a ride's operation, announcing it for next season. I doubt that the video's creator expected it to be taken seriously.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

As does Flight Deck, Drop Tower, and The Crypt. Yet, look where we are now.

If four years ago, someone posted a video on Youtube that said "You've rocketed through the skies on the wings of Top Gun. But in 2007, prepare to experience the sheer jet force of Flight Deck", we all would've peed our pants laughing at anyone who even remotely believed such nonsense. Again, imagine: "You've plummeted the from skies on Drop Zone: Stunt Tower. But in 2007, can you survive the sheer force of the Drop Tower, the world's tallest drop tower?!"

Laughable. And yes, as ahank put it, look where we are now.

And if 2004 someone had said Dick Kinzel & Co. would soon buy Paramount Parks for $1.24 billion dollars, sell off a huge piece of very valuable property in Canada, close Geauga Lake, put Worlds of Fun and Valleyfair on the market then say they got no acceptable offers, half the distribution--then announce they were eliminating it entirely starting in 2010, then recommend selling the entire chain to a private equity company less than four years later for approximately 1/3 the price per unit that the units were going for as recently as 2004.....

Lots of rides have the same names in other parks, the reason why they renamed the other rides was because they were named after movies.

And even that was vague at best. Drop Zone? I, for one, am an avid movie fan and had to be convinced by friends via an IMDB page that such a movie even existed. The same can be said of FACE/OFF, which I thought was just a clever take on the ride's seating (what a genius name... I LOVE that slash with all my heart). Not saying they're vague enough to remain the ride's names, but I'm sure quite a few people were wondering why they had to change them.

On that note, there are still other things I just won't ever understand... The Drop Zone spiral? Is that really a movie copyright, in any way affiliated with the film? Not to my understanding, though I certainly don't know the ins and outs of the contract between Viacom and Cedar Fair. The name change (note: not change, just name change) that I think is pretty smart is The Crypt. There's plenty they could've done if they were allowed to retain a vague, generic "Tomb Raider" treasure hunter theme (not to say I think they would've done them, just that there would've been more options), but as I'm told, the agreement between Viacom and Cedar Fair demanded that particular Top Spin bear no resemblance to the original incarnation, thus restricting the park from rethemeing it to anything related to treasure-hunting, the elements, or adventure.

Given those parameters, when you think of it, a crypt really is quite genius, and perhaps the best alternative to make use of the remaining props. A Crypt, really, is a dark underground catacomb where the dead are buried. It fits all the specifications allegedly demanded by Viacom, and allows the ride to retain a certain "atmosphere." I can only think, though, that had Universal or even Merlin purchased the Paramount Parks, they could've devised something more intelligent, or at the least, more immersive with what they'd been given. Still, though, it's quite smart. That's not sarcasm.