Sign in to follow this  
SSR1966

Rave Cinemas purchases Showcase Cinemas

I've heard from inside sources that National Amusement's Showcase Cinemas has sold off it's Cincinnati theaters to Rave Cinemas. Not sure about the theaters in other cities, like Cleveland and Dayton, but I think the Cincinnati takeover happens on January 1, 2010. I have never been inside a Rave theater, so I don't know how good there quality is, but Showcase managers can expect huge pay cuts and some theaters *coughCincinnatiMillscough* will just be closed down.

Here is an older article from before the sale.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...331/0/FRONTPAGE

Here is a more recent article, after the sale.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/advanced...ater-locations/

Edited by SSR1966

Redstone's daughter, Sherry Redstone, will continue to operate Showcase Cinemas theaters in Boston and over seas, so they're keeping the name. The 35 theaters being sold, I assume, would now be called Rave. For example, Showcase Cinemas Milford will now be called Rave Cinemas Milford. Or there is the possibility that they could come up with a new name to differentiate the nicer theaters from the more standard theaters, like a fancier name for the Showcase Cinemas Deluxe theaters. Or maybe it will just be something like Rave Cinemas Springdale Deluxe, although I would think Redstone would hold the copyright on the word "Deluxe" the same way they are likely to hold on to the names "Showcase Cinemas," and "Multiplex."

But this is just all speculation on my behalf.

I do know that both Showcase Cincinnati Mills and Showcase Kings Island were two of the theaters that Showcase was planning on closing, (Kenwood and S/C Cincinnati were not so lucky), but they both ended up just going to twilight showings instead, where they only open on weekends and weekday evenings. Rumor is that Cincinnati Mills is going to close it's doors for the last time on December 31, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Showcase Kings Island close as well. The newer Regal Theater on Mason Montgomery Road killed Showcase Kings Island's business and Cincinnati Mills has never done very well with the much nicer Sprindale Deluxe just one exit away.

On the other hand, I could see Rave keeping S/C Kings Island open just to be a thorn in Regal's side, because Rave is known for opening theaters close to already established theaters (West Chester close to Springdale, for example). Rumor has it that Rave is owned and operated by a group of guys who were unhappy or lost there jobs working for other major theater chains (National Amusements, AMC, Sony, etc.), so they started Rave and made a point to put them in the territories where their ex-employers already had theaters operating. That, at least, is the insider talk. Doubt there would be any information in print to verify that.

Edited by SSR1966

...and some theaters *coughCincinnatiMillscough* will just be closed down.

Looks like Showcase Cinemas Cincinnati Mills (Rave Cinemas) will be closing at the end of operations this Sunday, Febuary 28th and all the projection equipment is going to be stored at another theater. Two months later than I expected, for I had heard originally that they were going to close on December 31, but I figured it was going to happen sooner or later. Just one less reason to go to Cincinnati Mall.

That leaves Showcase Cinemas Kings Island as the last of the four doomed Showcase Cinema theaters in Cincinnati that has yet to be closed. Like I said earlier, Regal killed most of Showcase Kings Island's business but the theater is in such a good location across from the park that I suspect Rave will try to make it work for awhile. I will be interested in seeing what Rave does with this location.

Edited by SSR1966

I'm hearing through the rumor mill that Rave Cinemas sold the Kings Island theater across from the park to a church and will be closing down shortly after this 2011 Christmas season.

Edited by SSR1966

I'm hearing through the rumor mill that Rave Cinemas sold the Kings Island theater across from the park to a church and will be closing down shortly after this 2011 Christmas season.

Can't say I'm too surprised... one of the last multiplexes built before NA switched to stadium seating with the new Springdale Showcase in 1998. When Rave took over this one, they simply covered up "Showcase" on external signs and moved around the "Cinemas" signs on the entrances. Can't say Rave really invested much into this location to better fit their portfolio...

Aw! :( I actually liked that theater, too. Many times during the hot part of the season, my family would go to KI in the morning, go to the theater when it got too hot, and then go back to KI later in the evening. I sure hope that won't happen.

Often went over when it got too hot at the park.....but heard the new owners don't like places without stadium seating.......it always seems to have a good crowd, so it's a shame. Guess they'll probably put up another strip mall.......

It will more likely be converted into a church, like Cinemas 275 East in Milford. The only theater Rave put their name on right away was the former Showcase Cinemas Delux in Florence. The other theaters they purchased just had the "Cinema" sign moved over just like Kings Island. Milford finally got the "Rave" logo on the building just this past summer. Showcase cinemas had already made Kings Island into a Twilight theater and were about to close it before Rave purchased it. The Regal on Mason Montgomery definitely crushed this theater's business, but showcase started the ball rolling by doing away with the weekend late shows. The late shows at that theater used to do great business, giving people something to do after the park closed but who weren't ready to go home yet, especially for the out of town visitors who were just stuck sitting in a hotel room after the park closed.

I used to manage at that Kings Island theater and hated it, so I can't say I'll be to sad to see it go.

Have seen many things converted to churches, Mr. Roberts, including a former hardware store/lumberyard, but never a theater. I don't like seeing useful buildings torn down for new and usually shoddier construction, so anything they can do to "reduce, reuse, recycle" would work from my viewpoint. Didn't realize the one in Milford was a church. And Regal theaters are nice and seem generally well run and clean - the ones I've visited. And you're right about nothing to do after the park closes - even the fast food joints close except for Taco Bell and Mickey D's and the lines are so long...you'd think some of the other places would take advantage of people leaving the park hungry.....

It was the Cinema 275 in Milford that is a church now, which is on the left side of the highway when your heading South on I-275. They always have signs covering the old marquees that say stuff like, "Church for people who don't like going to church." Not to be confused with Rave Cinemas Milford, which is on the right at the bottom of the hill and still operating.

When Kings Island used to do the five questions at five on Facebook, whoever answered those once eluded to Kings Island adding hotels and restaurants to the undeveloped property that Kings Island owns. Maybe they should do something like Universal City Walk and throw some nightclubs and specialty shops into the mix as well.

Hearing rumors that since Jungle Jim's has taken over Bigg's Place mall in Eastgate, the second run Danbarry theater is getting some major improvements, including two more auditoriums and stadium seating, and it's going to become first run.

Anyone wanting to catch one last movie at Rave Cinemas Kings Island, the last day is allegedly December 30. I find it odd that the theater would stay open for one extra day being that the work week ends on Thursdays, so you might want to go on by the 29th, just to be safe.

Edited by SSR1966

Mr. Roberts, just read on a news site that today, the 29th, is the last day of operation for the theater. Sorry to see this end. Wonder what will end up there. Another strip mall or hotel, maybe?

I had suspected it would close on Thursday. Theater business weeks run Friday through Sunday and it would not make sense for them to stay open for just one day. Having said that though, they will usually stay open through Sundays just to get that one last weekend worth of money,