Sign in to follow this  
ahank

Where has the love gone?

I joined this site back in '07 because of the activity, the buzz, the entire feeling of 'love' on the site, if you would.

December 11 '09; The boards are at a standstill, the design of the site really hasn't been updated at all since EPKI, the photo gallery hasn't been updated since ASA, and the history galleries haven't been updated in months, even though you probably have a ton of information right in your hands.

I, and I'm sure there are others, would love an explanation of why this has happened. I remember back in '07 how tightly-knit the community was, and that has now fallen apart. I can see KIE losing members soon if something isn't done to improve the quality of the site. There are literally about 6-10 daily posters on the site anymore.

I would really appreciate a full-hearted, true explanation as to why nothing on the site has been updated in months. I'm sure everyone has their reasons, but when one person can't update a site, someone else should be able to update the site until the main person can resolve their issues.

I don't understand why the quality of the site has gone down so very much in the past few months, and would love it if someone could explain this to me.

I've noticed it too. There are a few things that are pretty important that haven't been put up yet. And when they do go up, not many people would even care because how outdated it is. And another thing is, the only few people (including) me who post, only post in topics like Random Picture of the Day, something that doesn't have to do with Kings Island that much. If you didn't see the photos of Kings Island on the home page, you wouldn't even be able to tell what this forum is even for. And I agree, the site needs to be improved because people will start leaving.

I, too have been wondering why this site hasn't changed much I would :wub: an update. I don't care much for KIC sure it's a great site but I don't feel like my opinion matters like I do on this site.

And I like the smaller numbers of members then I can get to know you guys/girls a little better. :D

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

If we are being honest here...and that is probably what I appreciate most about this site...we can all post our honest opinions and they don't dissapear in the night. Anyway, if you want honest...you know what, I haven't visited the main site in months and months! For me, the forum is what I enjoy the most...sure, I enjoy it when this site unvails some new pictures...but after looking at them for a few minutes I am back to the forum...but the sad thing is that even the forum is going through some bad times.

think I am wrong? I have a sure fire way of PROVING that this forum is in trouble...you know what that is?! You KNOW that this forum is in trouble when I am one of the overall top 20 posters! That is a MAJOR red flag! There is NO WAY that someone who lives in Illinois and only gets to the park 4-5 times a year should be one of the "better" posters...I am NOT going for humor here...it depresses me to think that this site has become so stale.

There is a line in the movie "It's A Wonderful Life", it goes "This town needs this measly one-horse institution if only to have some place where people can come without crawling to Potter." It may sound harsh, but that is how I think of KI Extreme, we NEED this site so that we can speak our minds without being censored!

I know that the mods all love the park...so I am hoping that things improve around here before it is too late. :(

P.S. Thanks to ahank for starting this topic.

Edited by standbyme

Trust me, I know there's a lot of things in need of work.

Photos: I had an interesting year when it came to computer issues. My old computer no longer kept up with current technology very well and Photoshop ran like garbage. After Diamondback media day I decided to put the brakes on adding photos until I got a new computer, because it took forever to get them done.

Got my new computer in late June, only to have to wait for my monitor to arrive (I was going from a laptop to a desktop), and then ended up having to return and exchange the computer after discovering it had a faulty logic board. Once the replacement came, I wanted to be cautious and start out by putting just small loads on it for a while until I could be absolutely sure it didn't also have the fault.

After that, yeah, I'll admit to dropping the ball, though some lingering problems with my Photoshop setup certainly haven't helped. Resuming gallery updates is one of the major entries on my list of issues to fix.

History: There are some plans that have been in the works for a while to better organize and sort our history content to make it easier to navigate and easier to expand, so it was decided to hold off on updates to that section until those plans can be realized, to reduce the amount of content that would have to be reorganized.

The coding of the main site is old, obsolete and hard to work with. The template is essentially the same as it was when EPKI Version 3 launched in March of 2005, the only thing that was done in early 2007 to convert to KIE was to change the name. Trust me, I'm as tired of it as anyone else, it's just a matter of making the new design I have in my head become reality.

With the way it's structured now it's very difficult for anyone else to be able to make updates to it, and like History, some things have been pushed aside to avoid having to deal with the aging codebase.

As for the forums, part of the slowness is an unfortunate side effect of the offseason. Last year we had Diamondback progress to follow on a daily basis, and with nothing going on aside from Planet Snoopy, it was pretty much guaranteed things would be a bit slow. After having a very busy offseason last year followed by a very active season this year thanks to Diamondback, the offseason slowdown is more severe than usual.

I absolutely anticipated the off-season to be slow. There's little to do except speculate on Son of Beast and The Crypt, both of which have become a bit tired. And truth be told, I prefer this message board over KIC's. I know it sounds strange, but I actually feel like I understand the personalities of many of the people here and I feel okay with agreeing or disagreeing and knowing I'll be respected. There, it's 30% "veterans" who are right, no question, no arguing, who were there on opening day in 1972 and will be there until their death. The other 70% is folks with less than fifty posts going on about things that are wrong. Similar to how it is here, I'd say that most of the recent posts are on 'games' or non-park-related things. Expected at this time of year, but I don't confuse activity with informed discussion.

Truly, a site overhaul would be the best help ever. A sleek, interesting design that's easily navigable, an updated history & photo gallery, and a fresh park guide. I believe that the park guide is important for us fans to look over, and for those who Google search "Kings Island" who actually want to know about the park. Like, a tab labled "Park Guide" with the different themed areas underneath, a page for each ride that links to that ride's photo gallery, etc. Just something really overhauled. I know that's MUCH easier said than done, but PKIDelirium, please know that many of us here will do whatever we can to help!

I love this site and I don't want it to fall behind. Notably, I also don't want it to become infused with thousands of useless posts by semi-anonymous "n00bs" ;) But some new members to add some new ideas to the pot? Sounds great!

^(As always) A very good post...you went above and beyond adding suggestions. :)

There, it's 30% "veterans" who are right, no question, no arguing, who were there on opening day in 1972 and will be there until their death.

I HOPE that even though I am one of the "veterans"...both there and here, that I don't fall into that train of thought very often...I try to stay open minded.

I think Don's right about this off-season being particularly boring. The only "buzz" is either about the possibilities of a crappy ride finally being taken out back and put out of its misery, or Planet Snoopy, which isn't really relevant to most kids these days. It's basically a generic kiddie land theme because they have nothing better to use.

Couple that with the fact that it's an off-season, and that a lot of people exclusively post on "that other site" and forum activity around here goes down a lot.

I know Don was talking to me a while ago about the theme of the site - and he is telling the truth when he says he has something in mind. It's just a matter of coding it. Don actually writes the code himself for everything - the html and css and all that - which makes the site much more streamlined and faster loading. "The other site" uses an editor - Dreamweaver or whatever it's called these days - which still can put out a good looking site, but it is nowhere near W3C compliant.

KIE W3C Validation Passed, 43 Warnings

KIC W3C Validation 168 Errors, 11 Warnings

TL;DR = Don does great work and I'm sure he'll present a site everyone will be happy with. As far as forum activity, "it's always darkest before the dawn."

Edited by TheKlockster