DRCrypt2008

The Crypt

Well just thought I would start this. So with last year's crypt ride cycle getting changed to suck even more than it did in 08 without theaming, what do you think will happen next year.

This is what the Crypt was as of the end of 2009.

Ride cycle that went upside down twice (2)

Haunt style music through out the Q-line, and outside

Remodeled entrance (due to DB)

Stupid netting over the out door Q-line (due to DB)

The bat worked the whole season (unlike 08)

Vertical door removed

Magnetic gates installed in place of the vertical door (you can see the ride cycle from pre-show)

There maybe more, but I think that is it.

Well what’s to come to this ride in 2010? Will it be the same, or will there be some slight changes?

Eh hem... Don't ask me questions about The Crypt unless you're ready for quite a spiel :P:

I think along with a few others on here, I'm known as a vigilant Tomb Raider fanatic, and I think it's quite obvious what I wish would happen to it this off-season. What actually ill happen is quite different. I don't see it leaving. I really don't. I know that sounds naive, but three aspects of the park that are less than ten years old are on the chopping block: Son of Beast, The Crypt, and Nick Universe. I think it's highly unlikely that the park would remove all three in one year.

To re-open the park for the 2010 season sans two $20,000,000 a piece rides from within the last decade and a rethemed kids area to boot will not and cannot sell passes. Cedar Fair knows that. Love it or hate it for what it currently is, The Crypt is now operating more constantly and without maintenance issues than it has ever in its entire life. I flashback to the operations director of Rivertown so prophetically saying, "there's a reason it's the world's only Giant Top Spin." The guest experience is certainly a good question, but I know quite a few people who MUCH prefer the current, two-flip cycle to the admittedly draining, stressful, and tiresome eight-flip program. I, too, prefer only two flips, and am happy that was chosen to some extent. Again, I restrain myself from praising Cedar Fair too much, because they don't deserve praise for half-fixing a problem that they created. It's like a superhero starting a fire, then getting acclaim for saving some of the building's residents.

Right now, there's a lot of factors working for our beloved Top Spin, and a lot working against it. The least of which is that it is a world record, and we are are talking about Cedar Fair here. More importantly, even, the park is beginning to lack on flat rides. I've said elsewhere and will repeat here, there was a time when Paramount's Kings Island was fine letting Cedar Point have their coasters, because we had the flats. We had a Giant Frisbee, a Giant Top Spin, an arguably superior drop ride, a larger swinging ship, etc. Now, Cedar Point has caught up and, in some aspects, surpassed Kings Island in the flats department... Thrilling or not, that Top Spin is something Cedar Point does not have (granted, they probably don't want it, either.)

I think that The Crypt's main problem is overcoming its past. Everyone will forever refer to it as "the ride that used to be Tomb Raider" as they pass by the cave explaining to their friends how it "used to have fire and music and lights and now is in the dark." Altogether, it's not an awful ride. It's got probably the most tame program of any Top Spin currently in operation, but the lighting inside the ride chamber is interesting, they've tried different music inside the ride, etc.

My personal suggestion for the ride? If Cedar Fair wants a cheap, simple, easy fix for an ailing ride, here's what I suggest: install fog machines. Two, maybe three. Just have them consistently fill the chamber with fog. It would add a million times to the disorientation, and seeing the lights pulsating in clouds of fog would be mystifying and cool looking. This would also detract from the rafters, garage doors, ladders, and paint cans which are so clearly visible. If you're feeling REALLY adventurous, play the music from Kings Dominion's "The Crypt." Their Top Spin continues to utilize the same score it used as Tomb Raider: Firefall, and it's clear that the music is not contractually obligated to be removed: in addition to being used on their Crypt, it was taken to the newly installed Firefall at Great America, which never had and never will have a Tomb Raider theme. Having adventurous, pulse-pounding music blasting in the ride chamber would improve the experience a million times. The current ride music, then, could be cycled through the queue instead of the Victorian-doll-house-vampire style music currently played (God bless them for trying, though!)

To wrap it up, I think that, while the Crypt is certainly in danger if it doesn't start to behave, it's currently operating a program that's working for it and working for visitors. Change the ride rating to a four (which, by the way, is what it was as Tomb Raider... When it did double the flips it currently does), turn on the already-installed fog machines, and play the already-owned Tomb Raider: Firefall score that's used at two other Cedar Fair parks.

Of course, I've always said I would happily sacrifice our mid-sized coaster that we can likely expect for 2012 / 2013 in exchange for the return of Tomb Raider. Just imagine if the cave was resealed (like it was on the rides opening day) with an inscription reading "The Adventure Continues - 2013". The marketing practically writes itself. Ha.. yeah right.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I think if I took about an hour reading all that, I would probably agree......it just needs to be re-themed. If they don't want to do that, then just take out the building. And add more flips to it, fast ones too - it's so boring just going up then being tilted upside down at 5mph...........

So, take out the building for a ride designed to work only when protected from the elements. What to do when the ride seizes up and can't be made to run again?

Not to mention that one of the many reasons for the current program is to stop the ride from literally tearing itself apart as it has in the past.

Do you REALLY think Cedar Fair chose from a selection of many options to run the ride in its current configuration (including removing seats and reducing flips)? You really think they purposely antagonize the majority of their riders merely because they can? Please...

Not to mention the many, many, many guest complaints the former program generated. Not everyone is a ride enthusiast and wants as turbulent an experience as possible.

Theming? Now that Cedar Fair apparently HAS chosen. See The Crypt, Kings Dominion, for comparison.

Edited by The Interpreter

^

Is it definitely verified that the ride can't operate outdoors at all? I only ask because I know it was assembled outdoors at the HUSS plant and tested (see below). I'm not saying the ride would operate well in the elements - it can barely operate in a climate-controlled, wind-less, dry enviornment. But I feel like it must be built to operate outdoors - I don't see why a manufacturer would go the extra mile to not make it outdoor-friendly... Like, what difference is there between an "indoor" top spin and an "outdoor" top spin?

KI-GTS1.jpg

Ok, I'm just going to say yes, and no. Yes the ride was first constructed outdoors in Germany, but it is not able to surivive in the outdoor weather conditions. If u know what I do, durring the great TR:TR years when their was steam used for the lave pit effect, and where u can still see them on the front two legs of the ride. This steam caused many problems, it's an indoor ride, with water vapor in the air. Now what happens when iron, and oxygen react? Well the ride rusts, this is one of the large causes of this ride tearing it's self appart.

Now a realy good question to ask would be why would the engineer of such a technoligicaly advanced indoor top spin decide that it would be a good idea to use water vapor instead of artifical fog. Their were allready areas through out the ride using this fog, why not continue the idea.

Oh well, let's face the face someone messed up, and now KI has to pay to fix that. All though I never see the fog coming back to the ride, I would think some low level artificial fog through out the q-line would be pretty cool.

Does anyone know what the hyroglifics say on the pre-show floor? U can't fully see them anymore, just wondering.

And if there are any problems with my spelling, it's because I used my iPod to write this. So I don't care. And I think this is one of the longist posts I've made. But nothing can compair to GoodyellowKoRn182

Hahah yes, I type quite a lot. And the hyroglyphics on the floor of the former pre-show room are just small copies of the Triangle of Light. There are 22 / 23 in each row, and it was one of those things were you're supposed to stand on the Triangle so that the worker can be sure they've filled the row to full capacity. Like at Action Theater, it rarely worked and has since faded away.

Lol, I guess they could use them for that but guests most likley couldn't figure it out. But that's cool any way. Hopfully they will clean the floor so they are more visiable in the off time.

^

That will undoubtedly not be the case seeing as how the entire bottom portion of the ride chamber, the carvings of the Triangle around the cavern's entrance, and the rolling circular door were both completely removed in order to keep the Triangle of Light INvisible to guests. It's directly from the movie Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (see the movie poster) and thus can't be displayed in the now-unrelated ride (though, Kings Dominion's Crypt does infact retain a giant Triangle of Light painting on the bottom of it's ride gondola, as well as having a carving of it just outside the ride's entrance).

And the paintings of the Triangle on the ground are not covered by dirt or "cleanable." They've simply worn off from being walked on, stepped on, and never repainted. The same happened to the star placement markers outside Action Theater.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182