Sign in to follow this  
Diamondback Dude

New for 2011?

Eh, I think with the sheer number of parks Cedar Fair has in its possession at this point, parks will be on a four or five year rotation for new, big rides (can you realistically see a $22M hyper one year, then a new $8M - $10M woodie two later?). We likely won't see anything spectacular til 2012 or 2013.

To be honest, we'd probably get some mid-sized invert or a GCI coaster or something like that, but I truly would sacrifice that ride (or at least put it off two or three years) in favor of some much-needed love being shown to what's already there. Call me a dreamer, but I believe that once a ride is built, it's not left to run forever of its own merits until it falls down - things need to be touched up in major ways sometimes, and taking a whole off-season to spend some money on the park's not-so-famous-but-still-part-of-the-experience rides is absolutely necessary.

Yes, it's crazy, but I'd sacrifice a new ride to completely re-invigorate The Crypt, bring Intamin in for Son of Beast, touch up Flight Deck, and re-install fog through the park. Honestly, I would put off a big installation for two years if that all could happen. In other words, I'd like Kings Island to live up to its formerly touted (though admittedly rarely realized) glory.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I could see Son of Beast being modified and reopening in 2011 with a new name and somewhat different layout. If that wasn't to happen, I could see us either getting nothing major or a used coaster from a different CF park (not sure what though...) If CF still has KI for another 10 or so years and either gets out of depth or stays about the same, I could see us getting a B&M Invert. I'd love to see a Giga eventually but I think that since we have Diamondback, we probably won't get a coaster taller than it for many many years if were lucky!

In my opinion (which is usually wrong) Cedar Fair won't own Kings Island long enough to install a giga, and doubtlessly, they never would anyway. Likely the next owner of Kings Island could be Merlin or some such company, in which case I imagine we'd see a mid-sized Intamin Accelerator a la Stealth or Rita.

But that's FAR in the future. For the rest of Cedar Fair, I imagine some flats are on the list. There was a time when the aspect that Kings Island had over Cedar Point was stellar flats, while Cedar Point was too busy focusing on roller coasters. But now, nearly every ride at Kings Island has a newer counterpart at Cedar Point, Tomb Raider has fallen from grace, Skyhawk is swingin', and Flying Eagles are gone... Now Kings Island is only slightly ahead, if not tied in my opinion... Not enough to warrant the "better flats" award it once had.

What ride manufacture is Cedar Point loaded with, that we are lacking in? If we get a new coaster in 2011, then I'd expect to see an Intamin.

In my opinion (which is usually wrong) Cedar Fair won't own Kings Island long enough to install a giga, and doubtlessly, they never would anyway. Likely the next owner of Kings Island could be Merlin or some such company, in which case I imagine we'd see a mid-sized Intamin Accelerator a la Stealth or Rita.

But that's FAR in the future. For the rest of Cedar Fair, I imagine some flats are on the list. There was a time when the aspect that Kings Island had over Cedar Point was stellar flats, while Cedar Point was too busy focusing on roller coasters. But now, nearly every ride at Kings Island has a newer counterpart at Cedar Point, Tomb Raider has fallen from grace, Skyhawk is swingin', and Flying Eagles are gone... Now Kings Island is only slightly ahead, if not tied in my opinion... Not enough to warrant the "better flats" award it once had.

More of the major flat rides...

Kings Island - Cedar Point

Crypt -

Delirium - MaXair

Slingshot -

Xtreme Sky - Ripcord

Viking Fury - Ocean Motion

ST&R - Troika X3

Drop Zone - Power Tower

Eiffel Tower - Space Spiral

Scrambler - Scrambler

Zephyr - Wave Swinger

- Calypso

Monster - Monster

Dodgems - Dodgems

G. Carousal - Midway Carousal

- Cedar Downs

- Matterhorn

- Super Himalaya

- Witches Wheel

- Skyhawk

Eurobungy -

Days of T. - Challenge Racing

- Skyscraper

- Skyride

15 - 20

Kings Island fails.

EDIT: Once I posted it, my organized list that was lined up perfectly got a messed up. :(

Edited by DropZone99

I think we will get a couple of new flats. I think we will probably see a new coaster in 2012 for the 40th anniversary, hopefully that B&M invert that so many seem to want.

Since KI just received two major rides back to back within three years of each other it's time to focus on other areas to better the guest experience.

I agree with the flat rides. KI used to have a lot but have slowly removed them either due to age or due to mechanical reasons and not much to replace them. Too bad Skylab didn't work out for them. That was a nice looking flat.

I like the idea of waiting until 2012 to add a big ride - what a way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the park.

Cedar Point is so full of Intamin it actually makes me sick. Other than Skyhawk and maXair that's all they've added since 2000 for major rides. I'd like to see KI get at least one good Intamin coaster. While I haven't ridden it, something along the lines of Fahrenheit would be rather unique and differ from what's in Sandusky.

I don't see why they need to get a new addition every year. We'll be getting the new Snoopy thing next year and while that doesn't appeal to most enthusiasts / fanboys, it will still be expensive.

I could see them doing something small and cheap for 2011 (if they did anything at all). I would LOVE to see Kings Island get a giant wheel. Maybe we don't have one because the Eiffel Tower provides the same experience of being able to see the park from great height - but I still really wish we had one.

I have to agree with what people above have said about them adding something decent in 2012 for the anniversary. It wouldn't be anything on the scale of Diamondback but they would probably put something in. Fahrenheit would be cool - or a Eurofighter. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Fahrenheit kind of like an Intamin version of a Eurofighter? Well there's nothing like that around here (I think Dollywood is the nearest one) so it would be cool.

Just my opinion - new kiddie area for 2010, something cheap for 2011, and celebrating the anniversary with something decent in 2012.

Kings Island now has a hyper, and in my opinion, that will be the biggest ride we can expect to see until 2012. Cedar Fair is worrying about what to do with Son of Beast, and until something is done with it I doubt there will be any BIG roller coasters. In my opinion, Son of Beast will be taken out and replaced with a B&M or a GCI woodie.

I agree, and could see them doing something smaller for 2011. Save the new coaster for the 40th anniversary celebrations, once everything with Son of Beast has been settled.

Some extra attention to developing the existing theming would be nice before then, however...

What do I expect now? Nothing. I'll be surprise to see major investments in the near future while Appollo tries to turn the company around. The longer this company is in their hands, the more money their loosing.