Sign in to follow this  
CincinnatiKid123

Flight Deck

This wouldn't surprise me. And the terrain itself couldn't have been helping the ride at all either. Flight Deck is also based on some rugged terrain, and this could be causing stress as well.

I agree with most of the points being brought up here. Even the points that counteract each other. I think that SOB and Top Gun's fates are interwoven. In my opinion...SOB has been closed for too long now and I'd much rather see it torn down. It's a dead spot. I would not be sad to see SOB go. However, Top Gun was my first "real" coaster. I saw the signs saying, "this ride uses artificial fog and lights" and I want to see what that was like. But then again...that area of the park has GREAT potential for something awesome. It's huge.

So...in general. Keep top gun but return it to it's glory days, get rid of SOB...and put in something that will blow our minds!

Top Gun/Flight Deck really needs some restoration work. Paint, theming, anything! I really enjoy the coaster (and its secluded location, for that matter), but it seems to have lost its charm.

I also miss the Top Gun music in the queue, but that's a completely separate matter...

I'm sure it'll look different than it did last year! It'll have much more rust and the paint will be even more faded! I really don't see why they pay who knows how much the paint just the rails on Vortex, but not even give Top Gun a touch up! I'm sure if they gave it a new color, and some theming to it, It would gain a little bit of popularity. Think what SFGAdv did to Medusa, it was a good coaster but not too popular (from what I've heard) they painted it, gave it new trains with on board audio, added some flames and a little theming, and now from what I've seen and heard it always has a full queue and attracts people to the park. Cedar Fair should learn something from Six Flags, who I think is being a better company as of now.

I'm sure it'll look different than it did last year! It'll have much more rust and the paint will be even more faded! I really don't see why they pay who knows how much the paint just the rails on Vortex, but not even give Top Gun a touch up! I'm sure if they gave it a new color, and some theming to it, It would gain a little bit of popularity. Think what SFGAdv did to Medusa, it was a good coaster but not too popular (from what I've heard) they painted it, gave it new trains with on board audio, added some flames and a little theming, and now from what I've seen and heard it always has a full queue and attracts people to the park. Cedar Fair should learn something from Six Flags, who I think is being a better company as of now.

Couldn't gave said it better :lol:

Hey Guys, I have a question? I was told by someone(don't remember who) said KI had the old "Bat" trains left from that ride. Anyone knows about this? I think if they do, they could re-theme and paint to bring back "The Bat" That would be cool. With the trees around and it is a terrain coaster could be an advantage to a increased interest in the classic Arrow Suspended coaster.

Edited by thunderbeast1968

I think that should get rid of it. If you have ever been under it or in the 'back areas' of the ride, there is a lot to be said about how far down hill this ride has gone. it's like no one really cares about this ride anymore/ There were a few times this summer, when SOB went down, that there was 'somewhat of a line' but not really. Also the old Top Gun area on the under side, is trashed so trashed.

Flight Deck... by far one of the worst CF names. This classic coaster is one of my favorite. I think the ride has a lot of potential. CF has a lot of fog machines (Halloween anyone) and some grey and blue paint somewhere. I hope... I just wish Kings Island would paint this coaster, its a great ride why dont't they treat it like one.

Removing all the emotion tied with Flight Deck, decisions concerning it's fate are really very simple. It will remain where it is until there is sufficient reason to remove it. Those reasons could be old age, maintenance, availability of replacement parts, or potential rethemeing of the area. There would be significant cost to remove Flight Deck, and Kings Island is not going to spend significant dollars unless they have a better plan or unless they have to. It's a business decision.

Now after saying all that, let me add some emotion to my comment. I love Flight Deck. It's awesome. I ride it every time I'm at the park. It's a great thrill. I hope it stays as long as possible. And if Kings Island management is reading this, PAINT THE THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. It's kinda embarassing to look at Flight Deck's lack of color and upkeep. At the very least, just paint the track. Do something to improve it's visual appeal.

Rant over.

I personally and I'm only 13 so you probably won't take me serious, but I think they should take it out because it's a dead ride and they advertise it on the wesite as a thrill ride and it's not that thrilling! If I ride it it's beacause every other rides line is to long. But it used to be a big thing in the park untill recently. It's the last of it's kind as far as ride type so they might renovate it but with the enconomy right now I seriously doupt it!

^ Unless the ride cost to much to upkeep, it's not going anywhere.

*Doubt is spelled with a 'b' not 'p' just thought, I would let you know. On a side note I see you are new to KIE soooo... WELCOME!

Also Flight Deck is not the last of its kind, or even the last of its kind in the US. Ninja at Six Flags Magic Mountain is also an Arrow suspended...

Don't forget Iron Dragon at Cedar Point...although I wouldn't put them in the same league...

To me, it's a shame - many of my friends have simply grown up with Iron Dragon, so when I explain Flight Deck, I say "it's the same kind of roller coaster as Iron Dragon," which is often met with a "You're kidding me, right?" Typically, they make fun of the ride right up until the first drop. Iron Dragon, at least in my opinion, has given suspended coasters a "lame, kiddy-coaster" reputation that they don't deserve. Perhaps more shameful, I get the feeling that, when Arrow Suspended parts start getting really slim, Vortex and/or Flight Deck will be dismantled in order to keep up Dragon (all towards saving Cedar Point's record, of course), though I find it to be the opinion of many that both Flight Deck and Vortex are better examples of suspended coasters, and have a much more promising future...

If Flight Deck had a traditional second lift hill (or even had an extra thousand feet of track, which it easily could considering the power it hits the brake run with) it would be a top ten for me, I would guess... It's in a beautiful area, too, so that last thousand feet could make some good use of sweeping towards the creek, rushing along the hillside, etc. and things that the ride has far too much force to do scenically as it's currently laid out.

I also can't say enough of what a new paint-job and maybe even some of the Vekoma floorless suspended trains would do for the ride. It would honestly revitalize that entire corner of the park (which, as of late, has become a little less action-packed, in more ways than [a giant wooden] one).

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I have rode both Iron Dragon and Flight Deck! I love both! Flight Deck is much faster than Iron Dragon ! Iron Dragon is a nice ride when you want a break from the larger coasters!

Well, even though Flight Deck may be much faster, Iron Dragon lifts you seventy-six feet up in the air and swings through 2,800 feet of track!

Yeah, I know too much about Arrow suspended coasters.

And am I the only person who notices that all of the four remaining Arrow suspended coasters in North America have had a red track at some point?

Edited by LordSkippy

In my opinion Flight deck should not be removed. It's a good ride especially in the back seat!

It needs to be repainted. On fairly crowded days it sometimes has a half hour wait! Removing it would be pointless unless a nice coaster sits in its place.

And am I the only person who notices that all of the four remaining Arrow suspended coasters in North America have had a red track at some point?

and if you get real technical about it, the last five.

r.i.p. big bad wolf, although never ridden by me, you will be greatly missed. :(