Sign in to follow this  
CincinnatiKid123

Flight Deck

Hey I'm new here, I'm originally from KICentral as Firehawk123, but I wanted to check out what was going on here. I don't know if a topic has been posted about this,but.....

What do you guys think of Flight Deck? Gone within the next 3 years? Being repainted? Possibly another name change? Just tell me what you think will end up happening with it!

Hey I'm new here...

What do you guys think of Flight Deck? Gone within the next 3 years?

Welcome! It's nice to see that you wandered over here! Unfortunately it is the off-season...so there is not too much to discuss, but I hope you hang around until the season starts again, then this board will liven up some more. I think that you will find that it may not be as busy here...but it is a close-knit forum...and not TOO many people insult each other. :P You will get to "know" people pretty well here.

As for your question...who knows what 3 years will bring with Flight Deck. I do think that there WAS a good chance that it might have been removed fairly soon...but that was before SOB appears to be on the brink of removal...and dare I say The Crypt...I would say that since the park can't afford to lose too many rides all at once that Flight Deck should be here a little while longer. (But that's coming from someone who didn't see that Scooby was going to be asked to pack his bags.)

Yes I realized it is very quiet here......

I think Flight Deck should stay, I don't see why not. But maybe add something around the queue area to attract more visitors? I mean, Flight Deck is so hidden, it's really hard to find.

Welcome to the site! It's always nice to see a new face around here! :)

I personally don't see Flight Deck leaving. Reason being is, simply, the terrain. The way Flight Deck is set up, it would be difficult to try to take everything out because the terrain is so strange back in that area. I really hope it gets repainted soon, that will help its "cause" if you would.

It's pretty difficult to foretell the future of Flight Deck, I think... All of this is my opinion:

Reasons It Might Stay

• It's very terrain-specific to Kings Island.
  • It's a well-known, signature ride of sorts from the Paramount days.
  • Cedar Fair loves its coaster counts, and isn't likely to get rid of a coaster unless replacing it with two coasters, or at least replacing it with a different coaster quickly.
  • Three of the four or so remaining suspended coasters are at Cedar Fair parks, so they're obviously willing to care for them.
  • Again, if Son of Beast goes, Action Zone itself may be one of the less-populated areas of the park. Imagine Action Zone having only Invertigo, Drop Zone and two pay-per-ride attractions. Not exactly action-packed...

Reasons It Might Go

• Arrow suspended coasters are becoming fewer and fewer. I believe there's four traditional ones left?
  • It's lack of paint seems to hint that they're not too worried about keeping it up in the long term. It seems that, if they expected it to have another five to ten year life, they'd paint it.
  • Without Son of Beast, there would be no visual draw towards that end of the park, in my opinion. Flight Deck is scarcely visible from the park, so if visitors don't head back into that corner for either Thunder Alley or Xtreme Skyflier (both pay-per-ride attractions) they might not see it at all.
  • If maintenance and replacement parks become too scarce, Cedar Fair may want to sacrifice one of their three Arrow suspended coasters for parks. And while Iron Dragon seems the obvious choice, it's at Cedar Point, and I don't think they'd remove a Cedar Point coaster when they don't have to.
  • With a name like "Flight Deck," they can't possibly be putting their heart and soul into keeping this ride well known.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

^^I don't think terrain has anything to do with it. Big Bad Wolf is/was located on much more "extreme" terrain and Busch Gardens is taking it out. To move Flight Deck to another park would be the biggest hinderance in keeping it due to its location. I would not like to see it removed as it is one of not even a handful of its type around and it offers a sensation not found in a lot of parks.

To remove SoB and Flight Deck would open up a large piece of property for something more significant. A B&M invert would fit nicely there and have ample room to use the terrain to create one fine ride.

I think it stays a few more years (3-5 at least). Its hard to imagine KI getting more than one significant ride investment (talking Diamondback-esque) in that time period and as was mentioned earlier CF tends to tout their coaster counts so its hard to see it leaving. Personally I really enjoy Flight Deck but it desperately needs a new paint job this offseason.

I think Top Gun will last probably a little more than 5 years, and once it's removed trains and all that stuff will be sent to Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland. If it does get removed, I don't really think anything would be built there for a long period. It would be cool if there was an invert there, or if SOB was removed a Giga could go in that area!

See, I don't even want to think about SoB closing just like SDATHC I have great memories of that coaster ! I don't want it to be a memory ! As for Top Gun (I'm not calling it that lame name CF gave it !) I think it will stay I mean it's still a people pleaser of course so was BBW and look what happened to it.

See, I don't even want to think about SoB closing just like SDATHC I have great memories of that coaster ! I don't want it to be a memory ! As for Top Gun (I'm not calling it that lame name CF gave it !) I think it will stay I mean it's still a people pleaser of course so was BBW and look what happened to it.

I love Son of Beast, probably more than anyone. But of course one day it's going to be removed, It could be 50 years from now, or they may be doing this off season, we don't know. And same with Top Gun, It's my second favorite steel coaster at KI and I'd miss it so much if it was removed.

I really do love Flight Deck and I can see that it CAN become of what it used to be. I really would like to see the theme more involved, now it's just a grey coaster. If it wasn't for the name you wouldn't know what it's themed to. I would also like to see it repainted, it really needs it. With a little love here and there Flight Deck can become are really great ride again.

I would truly sacrifice 2010's trashcan budget towards installing & maintaining fifteen - no, ten - fog machines in pivotal places in the park: 2 on Adventure Express, 3 in Top Gun's valley, 1 on Italian Job and 4 on The Crypt. Truly, these would be less than five thousand dollars to install and maintain through the season, and would speak volumes to both enthusiasts and casual park-goers about Cedar Fair's commitment to the park / commitment to theme.

Whether first-time visitors realized it or not, having fog (in Top Gun's valley, for example) just adds some really interesting, fun, interactive level to the ride. Guests would surely stop on the exit path to watch how the ride speeding through the cloud would affect the fog.

Not to mention how The Crypt would honestly be ten times better with some disorienting fog, eerily pulsing red and blue thanks to the already-functioning lights.

The future of Son of Beast WILL affect the future of Flight Deck.

If Son of Beast is permanently shut down this offseason, then Cedar Fair will start to improve the Action Zone as much as they can, and that could mean a new paint job and more themeing for Flight Deck. It could also mean a new, large attraction in the spot of Son of Beast.

If Son of Beast is kept open until next year, then Cedar Fair might hold off on working on this section of the park and start to care about other areas.

With that being said, I firmly believe that Son of Beast will be removed this season.

That is true. Son of Beast has a huge impact on all of this.

I do see another roller coaster take the spot of SOB, and then a repaint of Flight Deck. If they have enough money to replace SOB, they have a ton leftover for a repaint.

I don't want them to take down Flight Deck, even if it was for a GIGA coaster even. It's a classic ride, it's very unique, and there's not many suspended coasters left.

Cedar Fair's current debt situation is such that availability of funds to replace Son of Beast cannot be assured. That being the case, if the ride is closed permanently, there can be no assurance it will be immediately destroyed, much less replaced.

I have to think that tearing it down completely has to be near the bottom of CF's wishlist. It would be a signifcant cost to remove it and I can't imagine CF currently has the funds to remove and replace the ride. It is my opinion (and I would love to hear other opinions about this) that it is less of a black eye for the park to let it stand for a year not operating then it is to remove and not immeadiatley replace it with another ride.

I don't see why they would tear it down anyways, there's nothing bad about it. There's no point in taking down a coaster that everybody loves. Yes, they have done that in the past.......but now, when SOB is in danger, they cannot take Flight Deck away. Then Action Zone (and possibly Kings Island) would be empty and not nearly as popular.

I have to think that tearing it down completely has to be near the bottom of CF's wishlist. It would be a signifcant cost to remove it and I can't imagine CF currently has the funds to remove and replace the ride. It is my opinion (and I would love to hear other opinions about this) that it is less of a black eye for the park to let it stand for a year not operating then it is to remove and not immeadiatley replace it with another ride.

It would also be a significant cost to continually try and fix what's so wrong with the coaster. That ride has been such a liability with all the injuries it has incurred the past few years. There has to be a time when someone says "Enough is enough" and I believe CF is probably at that point right now. Instead of trying to fix a ride that has been tweaked and modified and yet is still causing problems they could use the budget to fix and improve other areas of the park such as paint Flight Deck and Delirium.

IMO I believe it would be more of a black eye to keep it standing but not operate it than it would be to tear it down. Besides, if CF can put in two $20+ million coasters for 2010, they'll find a way to get SoB removed if they so desire.

The Bat was removed in '84 and that spot was left open until Vortex in '87 so it wouldn't be the first time a ride was taken down and not immediately replaced with another.

I'd like to see Flight Deck get repainted but knowing CF's wonderful use of bright colors I'd hate to think what it would look like.

I don't see why they would tear it down anyways, there's nothing bad about it. There's no point in taking down a coaster that everybody loves.

Busch did this exact thing with Big Bad Wolf. To my knowledge, there was nothing wrong maintenance-wise with the ride, it was just expensive to keep running. Big Bad Wolf also had pretty low-ridership. Sound familiar?

The more I think about it, I could see Flight Deck being removed for that exact reason. The last time I remember that I was in a moderately-sized line for Flight Deck (then Top Gun) was in 2005 (before Cedar Fair took over). You can argue all you want, but there is no denying that Flight Deck has the disease of low-ridership. I'm not sure about maintenance costs on Flight Deck, but I'm sure that they can not be cheap.

Trust me, I don't want to see Flight Deck go away either. But if Kings Island does decide to remove this great family attraction, I'm afraid there won't be much we can do about it.

To my knowledge, there was nothing wrong maintenance-wise with the ride, it was just expensive to keep running.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that in addition to the running costs, Busch found that some of the footers had begun to disintegrate, particularly the ones on the dive over the Rhine. I don't know if FD has the same problem, but I can only imagine the amount of stress the swinging cars gives to the ride's structure.