Sign in to follow this  
The Interpreter

KINGS ISLAND, CofC Vow To Fight Admissions Tax Proposal

Visitors to Kings Island, The Beach Waterpark or other Mason attractions may have to fork over a little more to get past the front gates.

That’s because city council on Monday, Nov. 9, made a first reading of a resolution that would add an admissions tax for area attractions, with the exception of non-profit organizations.

The city tried several times before to enact such a tax but was met with opposition each time and withdrew the matter from consideration....

A 3-percent admissions tax would offset the cost of those additional services by generating millions of dollars in revenue, he said.

The measure did not appear on the council’s pre-meeting agenda and was introduced during the meeting but could not advance beyond a first reading, let alone to a vote, because only four of seven city council members were present.

Greg Scheid, general manager of Kings Island, said later the news left him “shell-shocked.”...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton...tax-394665.html

It's not that simple. In theory, at least, the park does not get to decide what political entity it will be a part of. The problem is this. Originally, Paramount Parks ASKED to be annexed into Mason. As part of that, supposedly, there was an agreement between Mason and Paramount Parks that there would not be an admissions tax.

Just a thought on this. Is it not possible for KI to lower admission price along with parking to off set the tax? Call me crazy but I think lowering the price tag and maybe including a shuttle to the front of the park would help with guest experience, not to mention the pocket book. I realize this is a drop in revenue, but I think the outcome of such reductions could pay off big time in visitor counts and spending in the park.