Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

California’s Great America to add swing ride, re-theme kids area for 2010

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...-great-am-5682/

California’s Great America officials expect the Screamin’ Swing ride at Knott’s Berry Farm to be relocated to the Santa Clara theme park by summer 2010.

Knott’s is removing the pneumatically powered pendulum swing ride to make room for Demon Drop, a 26-year-old thrill ride being removed from Cedar Point and relocated to the Buena Park theme park.

At this point, CF is moving a few flat rides around, which I don't think is all that uncommon. Until we see them swapping out coasters between parks, I can't say that a full-fledged CF Ride Rotation program is being adopted.

^ I have been waiting for someone to say something "smart" in a forum at this other site. THANK YOU! :) I was geting really tired of people saying CF was starting a ride rotation prigram it is two. I am talking TWO flats they are moving.

I also do not necessarily believe we'll be seeing a major rotation program. And there is reason enough that Demon Drop's departure from Cedar Point could be due to a coming coaster. However, there seems little reason to take the Screamin' Swing from Knott's. I'm not really sure what would prompt that removal. There's plenty of room at Knott's for BOTH rides.

The fact that it's going to Great America can hardly be assigned to a hope for additional income: the price of moving it across California and reconstruction it is likely not going to be equalized by the rides income for at least a few years, and we're talking about a park that Cedar Fair is talking about selling, anyway.

In the end, I'm only saying it's odd that this particular decision would be made. The Swing would fit just as well at any of the former Paramount Parks that aren't on the brink of destruction, and would probably get more ridership, and thus more money for the company overall. If there WEREN'T about to be some sort of rotation program starting, Knott's would just keep both rides. If it is a rotation program, though, perhaps this will be the beginning and end: Cedar Fair isn't exactly getting great press from transporting a thirty year old ride and removing a new one for it.

Also, add to this that Jeff Gramke of Kings Island and others have referred several times in recent months to a coming ride rotation program.

I don't see how this saves much, though. Jeff Seibert was fond of telling enthusiasts that it only cost half a million less to move Stealth/Borg than it would have to build a new one (and still have the old one at the old park). I think Paramount Parks learned a lesson from that one...but they did need the space at Paramount's Great America at the time...

And Cedar Fair has experience with moving coasters now, too...given Dominator and X-Flight--Firehawk in particular, and more recent experience it is, too.

I believe the main reason Knott's is removing the Screamin' Swing is a capacity issue. Their Swing is an upcharge attraction, and thus doesn't get as much ridership as it would if it were an included ride. And removing the upcharge is likely out of the question for Knott's, as the Swing is (I believe) an 8-seat model. The wait time for Skyhawk is usually several cycles on a decently-crowded day, and that's with a 40-seat model. At a park as large as Knott's, the wait-time for 8 seats would probably be several hours on the decently-busy days, and even more on the crowded days.

Moving it to a smaller park like CGA will (hopefully) allow them to run it as an included attraction and avoid the ridiculous wait times they would have encountered at a park the size of Knott's. But then the question remains, why CGA and not another small park that could use it more - like MiA? My only conclusion is that MiA recently received Thunderhawk, and CGA had their large GCI woodie canceled.

Another argument for the move for Knott's - which I can't remember if it was on this site or another one - is that DD could just be a placeholder for Knott's for the 2010 season, with their next big addition (a.k.a. a new major coaster) coming in 2011. That way, the new ride wouldn't be lost in all the "New for 2010" hubbub at the other California parks, and they will get a new ride in 2010 so that don't necessarily feel neglected.

All this is on my own inference and info I've gathered, though, so who knows if its correct or not. :P