Sign in to follow this  
GoodYellowKoRn182

Universal Singapore Map Released

http://www.rwsentosa.com/USS_map_Eng/en_map-uss.html

It's a very unique looking park! For anyone familiar with Universal Orlando, it appears to be nearly entirely based on Universal's Islands of Adventure, with traditional "Studios" themed areas only replacing Port of Entry and Marvel Superhero Island.

Other things to note:

• Jurassic Park River Adventure has been transformed into a rapids ride for this park.
  • Dueling Dragons basic idea has been reinvisioned to "Battlestar Galactica," however one side is sitting and family-friendly while the other is inverted and thrilling (and it's made by Vekoma, not B&M... Curious to see how comfortable the inverted side is, or if it's just going to be a custom SLC...
  • An entire side of the park is awarded to the Dreamwork's animated films (Shrek's "Far Far Away" and "Madagascar"), which include "Donkey Live' (Clearly a take on Turtle Talk with Crush), the typical Shrek-4D found at all Universal Parks, and a log flume themed to Madagascar.
  • Inside Sci-Fi City, Transformers is indicated as "Coming in 2011." The Transformers ride, of course, is the popularly anticipated "recycle" of Spiderman's world-famous ride system!

Overall, this looks like an incredible park based on the map! Certainly they're lucky to have it. Basing it off of Islands of Adventure (with popular, adventurous movies) instead of the somewhat "blah" studio idea was genius.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

From what I've read about Vekoma and the Battlestar Galactica coaster, it will feature Vekoma's new track system and trains, which are four across. Perhaps Vekoma has picked up on what works for a B&M and adapted it to their designs...

The rest seems a lot more family oriented than the thrill packed IoA as well, especially with the double dose of kids areas in the Madagascar and Far, Far Away areas, and of course, the less intense half of Battlestar.

From what I've read about Vekoma and the Battlestar Galactica coaster, it will feature Vekoma's new track system and trains, which are four across. Perhaps Vekoma has picked up on what works for a B&M and adapted it to their designs...

The rest seems a lot more family oriented than the thrill packed IoA as well, especially with the double dose of kids areas in the Madagascar and Far, Far Away areas, and of course, the less intense half of Battlestar.

A four across would be very smart, especially for such a large installation. And I've heard nothing but positive about the new Vekoma trains used on Carolina Cobra. I imagine it would use the same idea. And really, it's not more family oriented than any other Universal Park, in my opinion. It has a version of each ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure with the exception of the Incredible Hulk. That, though, it made up for with the Revenge of the Mummy.

When you actually think of Islands of Adventure, there aren't THAT many thrilling things. Only Hulk, Dragons, Spiderman, and Jurassic Park, all of which are present in this new park to some extent (Mummy, Battlestar, Transformers, and Jurassic Park.) Islands of Adventure also has two areas primarily for kids (Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing).

Either way, it's extraordinarily interesting to see how they fused the Universal Studios and the Islands of Adventure plans into one. In execution, I think it'll be a bit strange. Islands of Adventure has a traveling, mystical world feel throughout. It will be a bit strange to enter via a Hollywood area, then through a New York area, and then get into the adventurous feel. I'm sure it'll be a hit and a beautiful, spectacular park. But it's an interesting sort of hybrid to say the least.

Ty's thoughts and opinions on most everything :rolleyes:

Additional pictures from DisneyandMore.blogspot.com:

Hollywood

hollywoode.jpg

Only thing to mention, besides the nice-looking Walk of Fame, is the theater. It says it'll be equipped to showcase Broadway musicals, starting with a the infamous Universal Monsters in rock-and-roll style (Beetlejuice, anyone?).

Madagascar

madagascarb.jpg

artistimpression.jpg

birdseyeview2.jpg

A nice-looking area, although I've always found it risky to build a whole theme park area off one movie (the only other examples I can think of, however, are Jurassic Park and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter). Regarding the area, Madagascar: A Crate Adventure looks like your simple Disney-style boat-ride, with animatronics and what-not. It doesn't appear to feature any drops or thrill elements. King Julien's Beach Party-Go-Round, the simple carousel, looks as if it may be similar to IoA's Caro-Seuss-El, which is known for its intricate characters than blink or turn their head or perform other simple actions.

Far Far Away

farfaraway.jpg

uswork1.jpg

Like Madagascar, it looks nice, but I question the logic behind a whole area devoted to a single movie. Things to note are Enchanted Airways, a junior coaster that looks similar to Flying Unicorn at IoA, and the multiple attractions crammed into the castle- Shrek 4D, Donkey LIVE (Turtle Talk with Crush, anyone?), and Magic Potion Spin (simple Ferris Wheel, enhanced with visual effects around the room).

The Lost World

thelostworld.jpg

usworks3.jpg

usworks2.jpg

Very cool, especially the Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure. Looks as if they'll still incorporate a drop, similar to what is found on Grizzly River Run in California and Kali River Rapids in Florida. I am a tad surprised, however, that "Canopy Flyer" made it into this park... The similar attraction at Islands of Adventure suffers some of the longest lines in the park due to its horrible capacity. Dino-Soarin', a simple flat-ride, looks like a Dumbo-style attraction. Final thing to point out, Water World is technically in this area, despite the fact it doesn't fit the dinosaur theme at all.

Ancient Egypt

ancientegypt.jpg

Treasure Hunters looks like Universal's take on Disney's famed "Autopia", while Revenge of the Mummy seems nothing more than a clone of Universal Studios Florida's fantastic version of the ride (well, the entrance looks new). Something interesting is that the neighboring Battlestar coaster appears to dive through this area real quickly, passing through two large Egyptian archways.

SciFi City

scificity.jpg

usworks5.jpg

So Battlestar Galactica looks pretty cool. Simple dueling coaster, with the awesome twist of it being family/thrill and standard/inverted. Accelerator looks similar to the simple spinning attraction in Marvel Superhero City at IoA. Finally, Transformers- you have no idea how excited I am for this :D

New York

newyorkdl.jpg

The least-impressive looking of the park's areas, New York is composed of two restaurants and two attractions. The attractions are Stage28, a simple "How we made this movie" attraction, and Lights! Camera! Action!, a cross between Twister, Disaster, etc. A Ghostbusters dark-ride, similar to Men in Black: Alien Attack, would've been fantastic.

usmodel.jpg

Overall, this park looks very promising. One should also recognize the abundance of kid-friendly attractions, something that the Universal Orlando parks do seem to lack.

:o Ghostbusters..a new Ghostbusters attraction...can it be... .... WHAT?!? No Beetlejuice!

I've known about the Madagascar and Shrek parts of the park for a while but all the other stuff is new to me.Love the Jurassic Park/Lost World themes smash into one section but am bummed to not see the long rumored Jurassic Park Explorer attraction.

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

^There is not a Ghostbusters attraction coming to Universal Singapore. I've heard a rumor, however, that there is one in the planning for the upcoming Universal Dubai.

And regarding Beetlejuice, the Hollywood theater says it'll feature a rock-n-roll show with "Universal Monsters"- sounds like Beetlejuice to me.

It's cool Ty, but I'm sick of all these kick a$$ rides(Transformers,Ghostbusters,Addams Family:Shriek House etc) going across to foreign lands I'm never going to go there I keep myself in the good ol'' USA.

^I'm sure they've been sick of all the "kick a$$" rides staying in the U.S. for so long :P

Besides, Transformers will be built at Universal Studios Hollywood (replacing Backdraft, I believe), and I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Ghostbusters somewhere in the U.S.

My thoughts: Most of it can come down to clear differences in management.

For example, DisneySea (the go-to example of USA parks vs. international parks) is not owned by the Walt Disney Company. They're owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company which, like many foreign investors, it seems, are unafraid to actually "go there" with the budget. Similarly, Paramount Movie Park in South Korea will undoubtedly not be organized under the same banners as the former Paramount Parks.

Both of these projects seem to be living proof that amusement park companies with more risky investors understand that if you go the extra mile to improve guest experience, it does come back to you in the long run. A great number of amusement park fans see DisneySea as one of the epitome of foreign (and perhaps, even worldwide) parks, and likely are willing to save their money for years in order to visit it (in a way that people simply don't anticipate a state-side trip to even the nicest parks).

So yes, it is a bit silly how much attention is currently directed at the overseas (particularly, Asian and Middle-Eastern) markets. However, it seems only fair: I doubt any of the hosting countries ever anticipated that they'd receive the worlds largest Disneyland, a fantastic Universal park (I'm speaking of Dubai's, which seems that it will be much grander than Singapore's), a "worlds-first" Paramount Park, what's sure to be a tremendous Six Flags, and ALL of the Worlds of Discovery parks on a dolphin shaped island... I bet the thought that they'd receive any of the above never even crossed their mind because for so long, America has been the only place for state-of-the-art parks.

I imagine most of them were "sick of all these kick a$$ rides" (Top Thrill Dragster, Spiderman, Hulk, Millennium, Indiana Jones Adventure, Tower of Terror, Tomb Raider: The Ride :P and more) always coming to America. It's quite fair that the tables have turned! And though I'm not an expert, there's probably isn't THAT much difference in the cost of three days travel and lodging in California vs. three days travel and lodging in say, Japan... Nothing that wouldn't equalize eventually, anyways. Something to think about! Dubailand will be QUITE a place to visit, as will (of course) Paramount Park for those of us who enjoyed the Paramount Era, and even those who disliked it, but knew that it had potential.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

A tad random, but something that's always frustrated me was that Paramount's Kings Island didn't take advantage of their famous horror-film characters during FearFest. They did feature the "Sleepy Hollow" section for a year or two, as well as "Jason's Extreme Cuts", but they didn't go to Universal-lengths and have mazes filled with these infamous characters.

Not to get off-topic or anything... :rolleyes:

Very true - But Cedar Fair didn't use Nickelodeon OR Peanuts characters for Howl-O-Fest... Perhaps that will change next year?

Another odd thing about Universal Singapore - not only has Islands of Adventure's Pterydon Flyers oddly returned, but it appears that the Island Skipper Tours have, as well... The adventurous ship located just off the coast of the Hollywood section appears to be similar to the Island Skipper Tours, which were removed from IOA during the second year, I believe? Who knows!

A tad random, but something that's always frustrated me was that Paramount's Kings Island didn't take advantage of their famous horror-film characters during FearFest. They did feature the "Sleepy Hollow" section for a year or two, as well as "Jason's Extreme Cuts", but they didn't go to Universal-lengths and have mazes filled with these infamous characters.

Not to get off-topic or anything... :rolleyes:

I keep hearing the new park in Dubailand will feature a ''Skull Island'' and ''New York'' and a ''Jurassic Park'' I hope to see a Ghostbusters attraction and the Jurassic Park jeep attraction which is still rumored to be apart of the 2015 IOA revision of the park.

Ty, I'm not suppose to say a word about this but since I'm feeling generous I will fill you in.. in 2000 Paramount Parks Creative Park Design had some concepts..one of those ''concepts'' had rivertown revisioned as Camp Crystal and it had a coaster ''Friday The 13th:The Ride'' that had the ''camp guests'' trying to get away from jason... it was really heavy themed..it was scrapped due not being family friendly...I kid you not ...that was one of many concepts that paramount had cooked up.

^

I'd heard of that before. Certainly glad it didn't come to fruition. I mean, perhaps in a corner of Rivertown, yes, but to try to make the entire area themed to Camp Crystal Lake... We likely wouldn't have gotten Tomb Raider, the Beast would make no sense, and... Well, let's face it: Imagine how awful it would be now. "Curse of the Camp" with a scarcely-working Jason animatronic covered in a black cloak chasing you. :rolleyes:

^I could easily imagine Rivertown transformed into Camp Crystal Lake for Fear Fest (as it was poorly turned into Sleepy Hollow a few years back). Tombstone Terror-tory's trail would play host to the Friday the 13th attraction, where you encounter Jason's victims and the man himself. Would've been quite entertaining, actually.

I was under the impression that he meant a full-time transformation, as in, no more Rivertown. That's what I'd always heard associated with the Friday the 13th ride, anyway... But really, just having the ride (and not transforming the entire area) might've been interesting! And knowing Paramount's love of Premier, perhaps we'd have something along the lines of Revenge of the Mummy, but in a forest instead of a pyramid?

^I think he was referring to a permanent transformation, I went a bit off-topic by discussing a temporary one :P

Full-time probably wouldn't have worked too well- Friday the 13th is known for some of its gory and bloody death-scenes; these would not have translated over well into a permanent area within a family amusement park.

However, a single Friday the 13th ride would've been interesting- I could imagine it being similar to Revenge of the Mummy, where the "bad guy" is trying to cause harm upon you as you continually escape his various attacks and traps. I'd rather not think about how Cedar Fair would've transformed it from a movie-themed attraction into something generic, however :P