Sign in to follow this  
DiSab

Goodbye Cedar Point, hello... Knott's?!?

That L A Times article is well worth reading in full:

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...y-farm-to-5666/

Knott’s Berry Farm to add 1980s-era thrill ride in 2010

Demon Drop at Cedar Point, coming to Knott'sd Berry Farm in 2010

Knott’s Berry Farm’s new attraction for 2010 is an aging hand-me-down thrill ride that’s older than many of the Buena Park theme park’s patrons.

The Demon Drop attraction will be relocated from sister park Cedar Point in Ohio, where the ride debuted in 1983 — when Ronald Reagan was president, Michael Jackson introduced the moonwalk and leg warmers were in fashion.

Knott’s officials confirmed that the installation of the drop tower ride will begin in January with a grand opening scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend 2010. Knott’s will keep the Demon Drop name, color scheme and theme....

They ain't too happy about this! Certainly one of the harshest things I've ever seen that source write about ANY park.

^I personally find an article like that a tad ridicilious- if Demon Drop was simply added to Knott's Berry Farm, I doubt most park visitors would have a clue it was an older attraction. Instead, they'd view it as a mediocre new ride- just like Kings Island guests viewed the (slightly younger) Firehawk.

Seems weird they're going to keep the name, colors, and 'theme.' I kinda feel bad for KBF now, they were getting excited for they're 'new' ride Demon Drop but the media has to make it seem prehistoric and bad. I'm still upset it's leaving CP, It won't be the same entering the park and not seeing and hearing one of my all time favorite flat rides. A trip to California will have to be planned in a few years for me!

I personally like Demon Drop a bit more than Kings Island's Drop Tower. Sure, the view isn't as nice, and you don't spend nearly as long free-falling, but it's very intimidating to lift-up the elevator shaft than slowly crawl over the drop below. The ride vehicle also reminds me of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror a bit :lol:

I personally like Demon Drop a bit more than Kings Island's Drop Tower. Sure, the view isn't as nice, and you don't spend nearly as long free-falling, but it's very intimidating to lift-up the elevator shaft than slowly crawl over the drop below. The ride vehicle also reminds me of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror a bit :lol:

I like DZ a little more, but only because of it's height. Demon Drop is pretty intimidating I must say. The way it looks and sounds is almost creepy, and you gotta love the horrible transition from laying on your back to going back to the station!

^^

Haha so true! Oddly, I wanted to comment that I wish they'd drop the Demon Drop name in favor of something with a bit more theme. Knott's isn't a "generic theme" kind of place by any regards, and shouldn't be treated as such. A very possible theme would be what Geauga Lake's old 1st generation freefall was. I actually thought it was really clever:

Hyde

That old-timey drive-in theater marquee was the entrance, and (as you can tell) the ride was called Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall.

Mr%20Hyde%20Americana.jpg

The ride was painted a deep purple and looked very dramatic next to the theater entrance.

I just feel like the "Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall" idea fits more into, perhaps, the Boardwalk section of Knott's where Xcellerator is. It's got the same kind of 50's vibe that the Boardwalk area is trying to convey. Of course, if they had decided on this about three years ago, they could've actually used the Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall from Geauga Lake and both parks could have a 1st gen freefall.

Also, I must note, the very idea of these rides is barbaric. They all feel as though they're likely to fall any second (likely because they are!) and the very idea of ending up on your back with your legs in the air is so odd. Hahaa! We can only thank God that Disney didn't go with their original concept of an Intamin 1st generation freefall being using for Tower of Terror! Just imagine! Maybe it would look something like... Oh, I don't know... THIS:

14954861.jpg

And yes, that's a real, undoctored photo of a freefall ride using the SAME Hollywood Tower font as the Tower of Terror. In my opinion, that's an epic fail.