Sign in to follow this  
DiSab

Goodbye Cedar Point, hello... Knott's?!?

In a twist ending on par with an M. Night Shyamalan movie, it seems that Demon Drop will make the trip cross-country for the 2010 season. Screamscape is reporting that the City of Buena Park's 2010 report confirms that DD will be installed for next season, replacing the Screamin' Swing.

http://www.buenapark.com/Modules/ShowDocum...documentid=1409

The article is at the top of page 2.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd much rather have a Screamin' Swing than that hunk of junk.

I believe the correct term to use in this case is ".....huh?!" :blink:

If true, and it appears it may very well be, thus begins the Cedar Fair Ride Rotation program. It's only a matter of time until a cherished ride leaves Kings Island, and the park gets a ride from another park in the chain in return. Six Flags did this for many, many years. Some steel coasters saw as many as four different parks during their lives.

If that's the case, we may see a change at Kings Island this year. After all, it's not like Cedar Point needs that Screamin' Swing from Knott's... Again though, wow... Knott's really got the shaft in this situation. Cedar Point's been wanting to tear that thing down for a couple years, but likely kept it ONLY so it could count as a pawn in a ride rotation program.

Another interesting thought: what have we to trade? When you think about it, we really don't have that many flats other than the Crypt and Delirium, neither of which I can see leaving. A Screamin' Swing or Intamin 1st gen drop tower require flat concrete to be placed: relatively simple. All of our big, enviable flats are special installation that can't easily be picked up and plopped down elsewhere, and the only coaster we have that has been a Ride Rotation precedent is Firehawk... It's an interesting thought to say the least. Regardless, I can think of a few things I'd like to see us recieve in the program.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

^I had the same thought about the Screamin' Swing when I read that article.

But it really seems odd that CF would even consider relocating a ride that had such a poor maintenance history. I mean, I'm not aware that spare parts are readily available for the 1st-Gen drop towers, and unless the Knott's crew give this thing an entire facelift and replace multiple parts, I can't see this going well...

Wow... This is bad news. My upcoming CP Trip I'll be sure to ride Demon Drop a lot, just in case it actually does go to KBF. I wish KI could get DD, it's my favorite flat ride at CP. If not, maybe we can get KBF's Screamin' Swing even though it is small and will probably be an upcharge admission.

Dissapointing... I was really hoping Kings Island might get Demon Drop. But a Screamin' Swing would be great, quite possibly a better addition.

And for ride exchange, I could see Kings Island losing Flight Deck or Invertigo. Especially now that SOB is closed, Flight Deck is pretty far away from everything else. And Invertigo is the kind of ride that gets moved around all the time...

I haven't read the artical yet but I would be VERY upset if Demondrop was removed from CP. I missed it my last CP trip (first trip since 2007) was in Aug. It's my favorite non coaster.... sigh

^I'm pretty sure this is confirmed, unless that Buena Park brochure is mistaken - which I can't see being the case.

^^Invertigo, I could possibly see leaving if CF is implementing a ride-rotation program. FD, not so much. As has been mentioned a million times before, FD was built to accommodate that plot of land - ravine and all. If another park were to get it, they would need to do a major amount of land shaping, which I just can't see happening. That would cost a lot of money - money that Cf doesn't have right now.

As has been mentioned a million times before, FD was built to accommodate that plot of land - ravine and all. If another park were to get it, they would need to do a major amount of land shaping, which I just can't see happening. That would cost a lot of money - money that Cf doesn't have right now.

Not to mention, if GREAT suspended coasters like Big Bad Wolf have to be demolished because it's hard to find Arrow parts and their service life is just dwindling, I doubt one could be easily relocated.. And I wouldn't want to lose it anyway, to be honest. hahaa. And I also wouldn't want to lose FACE/OFF. It looks awesome standing over the entrance to the park. It's bright colors and the fact that it's RIGHT there as you approach make it popular.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

Just to throw it out there, some of the major rides/attractions I can see removed for a ride rotation program:

-Drop Tower (least likely, however)

-Invertigo

-Delirium

-Firehawk

-Flight of Fear

-Backlot Stunt Coaster, perhaps

-The Crypt (haha...)

This would be a bogus move for Knott's to receive a ride that is well over 20 years old. This would be a better ride for Michigan's Adventure, which does not have a freefall.

I hope Kings Island doesn't see any rides moved to other parks, including Crypt.

It probably goes without saying, but if Demon Drop is headed to Knott's (and it appears that it is), then Cedar Fair has come to the judgment that that is where it will most economically benefit the company. If they thought Michigan's Adventure was a better venue for it, they'd move it there.

Wow this just struck me out of the blue! It makes me very sad though seeing as it is one og my favorite flats and I don't see my self going on a Cali trip any time soon. Maybe in a few years they will relocate to KI and I'll get to ride it as much as I want but that is much more a fantasy then likely.

Just to throw it out there, some of the major rides/attractions I can see removed for a ride rotation program:

-Drop Tower (least likely, however)

-Invertigo

-Delirium

-Firehawk

-Flight of Fear

-Backlot Stunt Coaster, perhaps

-The Crypt (haha...)

If these were to be removed, where they would go.

-Drop Tower: Michigan's Adventure

-Invertigo: Kings Dominion or Dorney Park

-Delirium: Carowinds

-Firehawk: Valley Fair!

-Flight of Fear: Michigan's Adventure

-Backlot Stunt Coaster: California's Great America

-The Crypt: Scrap!

Given that Valley Fair! is supposedly for sale and that California's Great America has a very tenuous future, I doubt you see much capital investment at either place in the near term.

Well than Worlds of Fun gets Firehawk, and Dorney can have Backlot unless they also get Invertigo. In that case Backlot will go to Carowinds.

Worlds of Fun is also reportedly for sale, and has had several offers, or so goeth the rumbling in the street...

Yes I know, but I just don't see it being bought for atleast a few years. Plus CF could give WoF a nice new attraction for not much money since only being deconstructed, transported, and constructed. It will be cheaper than building a new coaster, and than if someone was the buy the park, the cost of it would go up giving CF more money. Not sure if It'd end up working like that but I believe it!

The only C.F. "park" I see in The Crypt's future:

crycf.jpg

I LOL"d hard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone is complaining about Demon Drop, but that ride packs a punch. I think it's scarier than any ride at Kings Island aside from Skyflyer maybe.

This report looks credible... prepared by someone who is AICP certified (American Institute of Certified Planners, I went to planning school)

But still, after years of shopping around Demon Drop, they're going to MOVE it... across the country?! Weird.