Sign in to follow this  
GoodYellowKoRn182

Kings Island... WITH MY MOM?!

So, here's the thing. I'm in college. And once I was in college, I suddenly and mysteriously became friends with my mom. It's a lot different for both parties once they no longer live with each other. Anyways, I actually invited her to Kings Island with my friends and I this weekend, as odd as that sounds. She's not had a great history with amusement parks, as she has migraine problems and absolutely cannot ride things that spin (see, Delerium, Carousel, etc.), but we think (and hope) we've narrowed the problem down to over-the-shoulder-restraints, as the thing she typically remembers from childhood trips to Kings Island (she hadn't been in probably ten years) is a lot of head-banging and just feeling miserable because of it.

So I think she'll be incredibly impressed with Diamondback, etc. And depending on her feeling by the end of the day / weekend, we may try The Crypt (there's no real head-banging, but the anxiety buildup in line is pretty spectacular) and Flight of Fear (again, it's just an issue of anxiety). I'm a bit hesitant on Backlot only because of her problems with spinning and the initial helices... Should be fine, but for the most part, she'll be judging beforehand, not me. Hahaa.

So if you happen to be there and check me out walking around with my mom, don't think I'm twelve years old... I'll be driving in my car, and when the trip is over I'll be going back to living without her in the same building. Hah! I'll post a trip report when I get back, but I just thought someone might find it an interesting idea.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

Flight of Fear: Got to the park just as it opened, immediately went back to X-Base and hopped on Flight of Fear. First train of the day, front row... We were the only people on the train. It was pretty sweet! However, our Flight of Fear is now running in the dark, no lights inside except one "auxiliary" light aimed at the MCBR, likely for maintenance reasons. For anyone who read my Kings Dominion Trip Report, that's how their Flight of Fear runs, and I actually prefer to have the spotlights on... It feels much more disorienting and intense when you can see the mass of track around you.

Backlot Stunt Coaster: I ended up riding the Backlot Stunt Coaster both Saturday and Sunday, but all day Saturday, the house lights were on in the tunnel. A few members on here had noted that they'd been on, but I guess my question is, why? I can't actually think of a reason to have them on. Plus, it reveals how "lame" that part of the ride actually is. The track inside the tunnel appears to be a near-exact copy of the "swerving between police cars" track, with barely any banking or elevation change... It feels much faster and wilder in the dark (as can be expected). So why the lights would be left on is beyond me, especially if that's been a regular thing lately and its not just a "someone forgot to flip them off" thing. My friends wouldn't stop going on for the rest of the day about how having the lights off detracted from the ride. And granted, we're not talking enthusiasts, we're talking my two female friends who don't know an Intamin from an Arrow.

The Crypt: I mean, The Crypt was exactly what can be expected. One associate checking restraints turned to another and said "Hey, that lady who just got off loved it." I interjected from my seat, "It's no Tomb Raider." She laughed and said, "Yeah exactly, we just laugh whenever someone says they actually liked it." Upon getting off the ride, I asked her if there was any chance of any of its effects coming back, to which she said "Well, I know a lot of people file a comment card at Guests Services... Try that. Please. Please file one. Please." Soooo...

Guest Services: My trip to Guest Services really truly cemented my love of Kings Island. The wonderful women inside were so incredibly helpful and enthusiastic. It's really a feat considering how, while waiting for my turn, I listened to people complain that there wasn't enough variation in the Howl-O-Fest FREE candy, someone demanded their money back as they'd come here JUST for Son of Beast and it was closed so they wanted nothing to do with the park (keep in mind, this was last thing of the evening as we left), etc. When I approached the woman behind the counter, I asked for a comment card. She asked if it was a good or bad comment, and when I said "Well, more like constructive criticism," she immediately asked me to share it with her and she'd see if she could help more than a comment card would.

I explained that I was only coming to comment on the current state of the Crypt. I said that I was sure she got a lot of that, to which she replied "Yes, usually about a dozen a day or so... What we hear most is, 'turn it back to what it used to be.'" She wasn't really aware of what the Crypt actually was as far as the ride experience, nor what was different with Tomb Raider: The Ride, so I briefly explained the changes. And, wouldn't you know it, she actually called the operations director of Rivertown to come down and have a private meeting with my two friends and I. So he came down, took us into a conference room, and the four of us discussed the Crypt, what's happened, why it's happened, what might happen in the future, and some "cheap fixes" that I've been calling for for a while (fog machines, bubbling water, some new lights, etc). We talked for about a half hour, 45 minutes with him completely engaged in the discussion, and not necessarily in a PR-friendly way. We really got to talking about HUSS, the themeing, contractual obligations between Viacom and Cedar Fair, etc. Believe it or not, I have a new outlook on the ride's future and am certainly feeling positive about it in a way that I haven't for quite a few years.

Overview: Those are the only major happenings of the trip that the rest of you couldn't figure out. Diamondback, Flight Deck, Drop Zone, etc. were all normal experiences. My mom rode everything, loved it all, bought some souvenir photos, and had a great time. I've obviously sent an email to Kings Island to thank the wonderful Guest Relations staff and the director of Rivertown for their time and the tremendous enthusiasm with which they helped me. And for the guy in charge of The Beast and Diamondback (arguably the park's two biggest rides) to take time out of his day to discuss "that other ride in Rivertown" with me was fantastic.

^

Awesome report! I've had a lights-on run of BLSC, and I definitely agree with you and your friends that it seriously takes away from the experience. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's identical to the cop 'scene', but it's no Flight of Fear either down there. And I couldn't help but LOL at the "well, she said to file a comment, sooo..." part. That was great. :lol: I mean, nobody would expect you to do something like that for The Crypt, right...? :D (I find it bitter-sweetly ironic that the ride op found the ride to be less than average as well.)

The only thing I found weird was that only the MCBR light was on for you on FoF. I was there yesterday afternoon, and the usual multi-colored spotlights were on all over the ride. Must've been Weird Lighting Day for you or something.

And back to this Crypt ordeal... what sort of things did he tell you? I don't imagine he divulged any intensely sensational news to the average park guest, but what were some things he said that made you feel better about the ride's future, out of curiosity?

(You all had to have seen a comment from me coming a mile away after a post like that one. ;) )

Thanks Cool about your mom. I have to say my parent's use to take us all over just to go to amusement parks. Our Family use to take Motorhome trips just to parks, I have way to many defunct Parks to count. Though after my dad died in 2000 my mom still get into riding the coasters with the grand kids. She loves to spoil them. :D

This is a bit of a ramble, suitable only for people who are interested in the future of The Crypt and Rivertown as a whole. If you're not interested in my ramblings with the Director of Rivertown, don't read. I really am not looking for people to comment on how dumb this is and how it should just be torn down. It's more of a constructive criticism thing, as I said earlier.

I was eagerly awaiting your reply, bud. And as you can imagine, what he said was sort of "typical." But for me to voice my concerns to literally, the man who is in charge of Rivertown's operations was great. I complain to my friends, sure, but to say it to someone who actually matters made me feel better, even if it was in-one-ear-out-the-other for him (which I don't think it was, I'm just sayin').

He let me know that as part of the deal between Viacom and Cedar Fair, the rides weren't able to resemble their former selves. I thought that was odd, but made a lot of sense. For example, if Disney sold Disneyland, "it's a small world" could still be a boat ride, but likely would be contractually obligated to not be a musical boat ride around the world. In the same vein, The Crypt is required to not have an adventurous, ancient-artifact-expedition theme, and couldn't feature a battle between fire and ice, as it were.

When questioned about the fountains and fog, he said that Paramount had a lot of rides interact with water (see, Tomb Raider: The Ride, Adventure Express, Italian Job) without really understanding the long-term effects of water on the ride (see, the steel fabrication literally falling apart on Italian Job's splashdown track after only two years of use). When I brought up Kings Dominion's The Crypt and how it still uses fountains, he let me know that the fountains have not been removed from The Crypt, and that both the icicles and the rising wall door are also in storage, but that each was removed because "it was one less mechanical thing to worry about" on a ride that could barely run back during the eight-flip program.

As you can imagine, he said most of the budget cuts and lack of themeing are decided on a corporate level, and that he personally has hope for the Crypt now that it's running a more tame program. I can believe this, as it's had significantly less downtime that I've seen ever since the new program began. He said if it can prove itself for another year or two, he can definitely see some internal improvements start to happen on a local and corporate level.

He also mentioned something we've all known, but it was funny to hear it from a higher-up: "There's a reason they only built one Giant Top Spin." I mentioned that I think most anyone would be glad to keep the building how it is, but replace the Giant one with a Suspended one, even though it might be dwarfed in the building... After all, it would be awesome to have an exact blueprint replica of Kings Dominon's Crypt (rockwork, flames, mist, and all) inside the building, still with the goddess up in front. He said I had no idea how much Kings Island employees wanted that.

Other things we touched on (that he said were really food for thought that he'd never considered before) were the visible paint cans, ladders, and garage doors (which we agreed could easily be covered by the camouflage/mesh netting already in use in other places in the queue), as well as the bat figure: He admitted that it was a joke. I offered that it should return to it's stationary position and spray-painted to look like a creepy statue. Anything is better than hearing the little air-hisses and mechanical pops as it grotesquely flaps its wings.

ON THE FUTURE OF RIVERTOWN: I mentioned that a pink bat, Hindu goddess, Egyptian mummy, mysterious Beast and giant snake were an odd mix for the inhabitants of an early Ohio settlement town, and that some members on here had suggested a mine theme to the ride, to which he replied that hopefully, Rivertown would be re-themed to the Old West in the coming years. I asked, "Like Cedar Point's Frontiertown?" And he said yes. Diamondback is a good shift in that direction, but it would be strange to see how The Crypt & Beast interact with that.

But even the people who don't like The Crypt must agree: It has a reliable program right now, it still has its fans, those who don't know of Tomb Raider think it's a cool looking ride, and with some added music (preferably Kings Dominion's Crypt music), bubbling water, and fog, it would be a nice family ride.

My suggestion to him was to change the ride rating to a 3, maybe a 4. The 5 is misleading. And then, to place some camo netting, replace some light bulbs, and turn on the goddess' eyes. Paint over the rest, if you must. Just put red light bulbs in the eyes. Overall, I think it was very well-received, and at the very least, as I said, the discussion makes me feel better.

Overall, I think The Crypt is here to stay. Is it worse than Tomb Raider? Oh God, yes. On every level. Who would deny that? Even the employees and the director of Rivertown agreed. But what it comes down to is that it's a fun ride, it's more reliable than its ever been, it's always got a wait, and it's a nice "third wheel" to The Beast and Diamondback. With a lower intensity rating, a few new, cheap effects, and a little support from corporate, this could be a fantastic ride.

And yes, we did discuss whether or not you can purchase the rights to just one film. He said anything was possible, and that once the ride had proven it was here to stay for another few years, big decisions might be made. Imagine it: New for 2012: "Tomb Raider: The Return." Or even (as my friend Alexa suggested to him) "The Crypt Unleashed!" I also mentioned that there is a significant amount of people who would forego a new flat ride for a year in order to dump money into the Crypt and at least infuse some of its old effects back in, if not receive a suspended top spin.

Who knows what will happen?

Also, Raiders, keep your spirits high: I asked if he'd worked on the ride when it was Tomb Raider, and he let me know that he spent most of the year 2002 riding it and working it, and considered it one of his favorite rides. Someone's on our team. But what it comes down to is, TOMB RAIDER: The Ride will likely be at Paramount Park, South Korea in 2011. And that's enough for me.

Sweet, I go with my parents to the park they like to go with my friends and I.I don't like The Crypt at all I always skip it that's cool but on the wikipedia the names for planet snoopy are listed dunno if it's true.As for the Paramount Park in korea I hear that park will have the much wanted Addams Family Shreik House and Spongebob Squarepants:Crash Course Boating School and Tomb Raider:The Ride,Mission Impossible:The Ride...sounds spiffy!

GoodYellowKoRn182, great trip report- it's fantastic to hear that guest relations actually called the operations director of Rivertown to talk with you. That is some great customer service.

^^^

That. Is the best news I've heard in so long. Not even joking.

Employees realize that it sucks. It seemed painfully obvious that they had to see it, but to a head honcho- on top of the ride ops themselves- both say that it definitely needed something, to me, has the same effect as hearing the suspect of a crime admit to being guilty, for lack of a less dramatic example. Not only that, they want it to be better and remotely the same experience (though avoiding copyright issues) as Tomb Raider as most of them were able to see that it was at least a little better.

I'm sure you all have heard me whine and complain and crap about the new Ferris Crypt program. By far, I'm still no fan of it... but if it earns us in a few seasons any remotely non-cheesy theming- or, heck, any theming- I can so deal. The Tomb Raider program(s) wouldn't exactly have been the most fantastic ride experiences ever without theming, but the fact remains that, paired with the theming that made the ride, it made the ride what it was. And I'm not about to expect anything on the same level as TR:TR based on the mere cost of it all... but if they can have anything happening during the ride besides plain flashing lights and a giant Durga relief that you can kinda-sorta-except-not-really see which does absolutely nothing except continuously disappoint inexperienced riders, my opinion of the ride would increase exponentially. And that's no lie.

Just one other thing, GYK: I'm assuming the copyright limits between Viacom and Cedar Fair would limit the usage of the original TR:TR score? If we could get that back, that would make the ride a LOT better just by itself. And if we got TR:FF's score that's been reused at CGA (is it the same orchestral piece as our TR?) that would be just as excellent. Gah, I don't care. Not to get all fanboyish and cheesy, but this conversation you had has given me excitement and curiosity about The Crypt that I haven't had in a very, veryyyyy long time. Whether I should or not, I think I'm officially holding my breath again for The Crypt to actually gain some decency again. Time will only tell...

...Is it opening day 2010 yet? ;) :lol:

I'm sure you all have heard me whine and complain and crap about the new Ferris Crypt program. By far, I'm still no fan of it... but if it earns us in a few seasons any remotely non-cheesy theming- or, heck, any theming- I can so deal. The Tomb Raider program(s) wouldn't exactly have been the most fantastic ride experiences ever without theming, but the fact remains that, paired with the theming that made the ride, it made the ride what it was.

I actually enjoy the new program far more than the octo-flip Crypt. For the sheer fact that it's more tolerable. That giant top spin lumbering its ways through eight flips... It was so much to handle. And, keep in mind, it was the exact same program still (and always) used on Kings Dominion's. I've ridden it there, and it's much, much, much more enjoyable because it's not so HUGE and HEAVY feeling.

And yeah, the Tomb Raider programs being used right now would be a bit silly: The fact is, the only real problem most people (men) had with the ride was the hangtime over lava. During the Tomb Raider era, at least it was worth it to be able to see something. Today, it would be completely pointless and cause even more complaints than the current program. Besides, how often was Tomb Raider closed? Three or four times a day? The mechanism itself can't handle that program right now.

Just one other thing, GYK: I'm assuming the copyright limits between Viacom and Cedar Fair would limit the usage of the original TR:TR score? If we could get that back, that would make the ride a LOT better just by itself. And if we got TR:FF's score that's been reused at CGA (is it the same orchestral piece as our TR?) that would be just as excellent.

Tomb Raider: The Ride and Tomb Raider: Firefall each had seperate scores. While neither would be accurately synched up to our current Crypt cycle, I think we have a farrrr better chance of getting the Firefall score... Because either Cedar Fair is using it illegally, but stealthfully enough to put it on CGA's Firefall (and thus, could slip it into our Crypt just as easily), or they somehow have the rights to it (and thus, could put it into our Crypt). It's not even like "Oh, they just never removed it from Kings Dominion's Crypt." No. They took it and implanted it on a ride that was never even vaguely tomb themed to begin with... So clearly, they have the music file and are able to easily transport it.

Many Youtube videos give you a good listen to the Firefall music. Search Kings Dominion Crypt, Kings Dominion Tomb Raider, or Great America Firefall and you'll find plenty of "okay" quality that let you hear the music.

Or, here's an idea... Screw it all and let's get a Zamperla Windshear into the building... Seems to be much much much more reliable than anything HUSS cranks out, and it's much more thrilling looking. This one, Tomb Raider: The Machine in Italy has five different programs. The simplest operates ONLY like a Top Spin with both arms in sync, while the more complex (like this one, the China Mission) is nearly four minutes long and features unique Windshear inversions where the gondola inverts diagonally. Even the advanced missions, like this China one, operate with parallel arms at points during the program. Very cool!

GoodYellowKoRn182. very good information...thanks!

... it's fantastic to hear that guest relations actually called the operations director of Rivertown to talk with you. That is some great customer service.

I agree...that is more like the Kings Island that I like to think still exists.