Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Kings Island Pushes Boundaries For Halloween Haunt

I'm sure the animals won't be hurt or in danger, but I feel like all of the screaming and rattling and purposeful bangs and clatters of a haunted house isn't a good atmosphere for people, much less for animals, especially for an extended period of time. Very strange, and I'm sure it will draw PLENTY of criticism. An interesting move, but even Universal isn't trying that in it's slaughter-house houses. But the article says that the animals are an employees who is lending them.

I only worry that some a-hole of a guest will dump Coke in the pen or throw trash in just to be... well... an a-hole. Hopefully a cast member will be appointed to sit back in the shadows and oversee the pen, and plenty of cameras will be in use. Please Kings Island, at least do that. Please. Haha. I'm not even like a huge animal rights guy, but this just doesn't seem healthy for the animals.

I have never been a believer in the old saying "There is no such thing as bad publicity"...and this article sums up why. I don't think the majority of the people who read this article will come away with a positive view of the park...and rightfully so.

At this moment, I am ashamed of being a park enthusiast. :(

I saw one the pics in another post of the Dave Thomas skeleton and was wondering if that might be just a shade over the top. Are they really that hard up for original ideas?

I saw some of the skeletons when I went down a couple of weeks ago. MJ, Elvis, and (I think) Liberace. I honestly walked by too fast to even give them a second thought. What exactly are they using the live animals for?

How degrading! I honestly thought that Kings Island was supposed to be a family oriented park. After seeing this, I am completely speechless as to what to think. Yea....they pushed Halloween Haunt to the top alright as in the top of the list of things that I will not do this Halloween season.

I can't believe some of the reactions to this...

Maybe they should add a line after mentioning that this isn't for children that this event is not for people who are easily offended.

I can see how it's "too soon." Dave from Wendy's, I mean, that's fine, because it's kind of carefree. But having recently-deceased celebrities "re-enacting" their death is unnecessary. And unfortunately, I think this is Kings Island's way of trying to be badass and "yeah, we don't care what you think, yeah we're sooooo over the line and hardcore." All the disgusted reactions they're getting is making them happy, like they've done the right thing. The truth is, it's offensive in a BAD way, and if they wanted to "cross the line", they should've done it in a way that's actually cool.

I like how they are using live animals, it'll add a lot to the haunt but I could see them being gone after a few days. I'm surprised they are actually allowed to do that. I'm glad though, it's cool.

Let me just say that The Interpreter is absolutely right in saying that there should be limits. I believe that Halloween Haunt events have been a big step in the wrong direction for Kings Island and the industry.

Erotic shows such as hot blooded and "haunts" such as Club Blood have no place at Kings Island. We don't need to see Heath Ledger surrounded by pill bottles, most would find these to be in poor taste. There is no respect for the dead (those who have really died, not zombies). No amusement park should become a so called adult attraction that is not open to the family. Sex does not equal scary. I feel that the park should have kept Fearfest which was recommended for those 13 and up. At the haunt you really should be near or over 18 which I find deceiving since some 7 or 8 year-olds could handle Fearfest just fine. I know some of you will say that the haunt is an adult only attraction and that the park has warned the public of this, but the truth is that the 18+ recommendation like a movie being rated R, just make children and teens want to come more. No matter what there will always be kids at the Haunt that shouldn't be. A minor is not aloud into a real club why should Club Blood, (with it's pole dancers and such.)

I encourage the park to not continue to go down this slippery slope. Amusement parks have ALWAYS been about the family and KI should not damage its self-proclamation of family fun. Don't throw away your policies and good image just because its Halloween.

P.S. I am not hating on Cedar Fair. They have done many wonderful things to the park but I feel this is not one of them.

Edited by Diamondback Dude

Also let's not forget that these skeletons of recently departed celebrities will be viewable all day for families... Just sayin'! Kids will likely recognize the Joker and question the pill bottles spilled around him. And yes, I dearly dearly miss FearFest.

I think the American Idol scene crosses the limits for me... I do not like that.

but anyway...

Helbig said the animals that will be used in the exhibit all belong to a park employee and they're confident none will be injured for the sake of a good scare.

:rolleyes:

Who cares, they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't take care of the animals. Also, in my opinion they aren't crossing the lines with the celebrities. To me, it's like they're honoring them, in a humorous way. I mean I think you shouldn't mourn someones death completely, you should be happy that they were able to have a great life for what they had.

You mean to tell me, no one noticed all the suggestive stuff last year? What about the Wizard Of Oz display? I automatically thought Judy Garland when I seen it. I didn't get offended.

Who gives a rats azz. I see it as they are as stated above, a humorous tribute to the recently fallen celebrities.

Dead Awakening was by far the most inappropriate show a theme park could turn on... I mean, the girl in her underwear. The guys feeling her up. C'mon give me a break!

Gouls Gone Wild was the best live show. It had great music, period.

Now, back to the celebs....

They would not wan't people to mourn over their loss, but rather celebrate the life they lived. Just like when I go, I don't want to have a funneral. I want a party with music, food, and booze.

Celebrate the life, don't mourn the loss!

Yeah I believe that KI is pushing it a little with the celebrities deaths. I know none of the deceased celebs families will come and see this but if they did imagine how hurtful that would be. Imagine if a park was trying to get a good laugh at one of your dead relatives by putting a skeleton up that resembled them and how they died. As for the animals I don't see a real problem with that.

i have to post here by saying that people need to CHILL OUT!!! You havnt even seen where the animals will be in the maze, or the cages they will be in, so stop judging how KI will treat the animals before you see them for yourselves. And the dead celebrities are just funny, i mean c'mon, lighten up, it's a joke, It's not meant to be disrespectful towards the celebs (duh). I don't thing that KI is crossing any line here...

I immediately LOL'd when I saw the Ted Williams display. Classic stuff right there. :lol:

No amusement park should become a so called adult attraction that is not open to the family.

Ever heard of Halloween Horror Nights? They charge separate admission, and the employees completely clear the park before it starts to make sure only those who paid are in the park for it. HHN has been going on for years, and go well beyond Haunt. There's a disclaimer for a reason.

A minor is not aloud into a real club why should Club Blood, (with it's pole dancers and such.)

Real clubs have booze, dancers with much less clothing, and more... shady... stuff than Club Blood.

Don't throw away your policies and good image just because its Halloween.

Why not? The park can't have a little fun for a few months out of the year because it would "ruin their good image?" I don't have a problem with it at all - heck, many of the smaller, independent Halloween attractions have much worse imagery than Haunt.

I'll say it again - there's a disclaimer for a reason. If people are easily offended, they shouldn't be at Haunt in the first place. And saying you won't be renewing your pass just because of this is a little over-the-top, no? Where's the fun if we can't poke fun at people anymore?

I feel like people want it both ways, and have a horrible double standard.

When it comes to cleanliness and employees, Cedar Fair claims to have brought it back to the pre-Paramount Kings Island, what with all of their trashcans and smiling employees and all of that lack of "Paramount's" in the name... And everyone eats it up!

But then Cedar Fair does this really over-the-top Halloween event. I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just saying, would Kings Island have done it in 1972? No chance in hell. Is that REALLY back to the way Kings Island used to be?

So do you actually want pre-Paramount Kings Island? If you do, then you'll have Hannah-Barbara, Winterfest, and virtually no Halloween (especially not a Halloween with strippers in Club Blood, murderous doctors and rotting corpses with eyes ripped out, goats penned up in some pitch-black Slaughterhouse, etc.)... I have no problems with Halloween Haunt as a whole, I'm just kind of tired of Cedar Fair flaunting that Kings Island is "back to the way it used to be, before that awful movie studio screwed it up!" and then they decide to have absolutely nothing in common with how it used to be. I mean, if Nickelodeon has to go, I'd chew off my right arm to bring back Hannah Barbara. Or make Scooby into an entire area - THAT'S what Taft would've done.

They just need to decide one way or the other. Classic Kings Island with Hannah Barbara and low key holidays and family > thrills? Or Cedar Fair's Kings Island with cutting-edge thrills, Snoopy and the goriest Halloween celebration this side of the Ohio River? It's one or the other. They can't have it both ways.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

If they push the envelpoe too much they won't have one! ;)

Really my thoughts on this ...

I find this years HH morbid and sorta offensive! I can see it being offensive to some but i'm not offended.To me the whole thing is just stupid your suppose to honor the dead not mock them after seeing those skeletons protrayed as those who were taken from us this year I just shook my head now with that being said I'm not going to slap down my hard earned money to attend HH at all....It's Just wrong...So wrong!

and Mini_Cooper I agree with you!

Oh... and FYI Halloween isn't a Holiday!

that's my two cents.

In others words... no me gusta!!! (Spanish for I don't like it!!!)

I'd rather have a place where my whole family can celebrate Hallowen(Don't give me the Howl-fest speech!) ..but this .. is just stupid,gross and offensive!ack.gif

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy