TOPGUN1993

Scooby Haunted Castle Retheme?

How interesting. And how did you get this information?

I had about a forty minute one-on-one meeting with the operations director of Rivertown the other day.

Besides, what kind of contract would that be? "You must remove EVERYTHING, literally, even the spiral logo on Drop Zone which wasn't even remotely related to the movie, but we made it, so you can't have it. And we have two rides themed to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. (And this is according to the operations director of Rivertown) one may not even maintain a "tomb" theme - it can't keep a storyline even vaguely related to an adventurous expedition. The other, however, may use all the movie props, movie music, and movie images you like. Enjoy!"

Nice try. I almost looked like an idiot, and you, like a wise elder. Too bad I know what I'm talking about and I don't just spew out random information. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

...it can't keep a storyline even vaguely related to an adventurous expedition

I believe in giving credit where credit is due...and I would say the park certainly succeeded in this! ;)

Ohh... ahahah no I actually wasn't. I mean, when you're given a ride soley based on an action-adventure movie and told it can't have anything to do with action or adventure, where do you go? I guess a creepy crypt was the only choice... They need to make sarcasm easier to read on the internet.

My failed attempt at humor was that I think KI has succeeded in making The Crypt COMPLETELY devoid of anything even remotely "adventurous"...now if we're talking about comatose...

They need to make sarcasm easier to read on the internet.

I know...it really is a hindrance for people like myself who speak sarcasm fluently without even thinking about it.

Edited by standbyme

Oooh I've got a good idea!

How about we wait until we actually see the new retheme for Scooby, and Nick U for that matter, before we start judging it!

Honestly people. You can't be judging if you haven't even seen what's happenening yet. I'm welcoming Snoopy.

^Knowing Cedar Fair's history with dark-rides, quite a few of us are actually afraid of what SDATHC will be rethemed to. It's a charming and fun ride as it currently is, and this is one of the very rare cases I'm not so welcoming to change.

Honestly people. You can't be judging if you haven't even seen what's happenening yet.

Actually we can...and I will show you how easy it is. In your mind, what cartoon do YOU think would be an awful choice to theme a ride too? That is how a lot of us feel about The Peanuts...to me, it wouldn't matter if Kings Island pulled off the most amazing themed ride that they had EVER done...as long as it is based on a dated cartoon it won't matter.

I'm welcoming Snoopy.

Which is 100% your right...I just wish I could feel the same way.

What if it is rethemed to a generic GhostBlasters theme? Will it still have the same charm?

Not to be hating on SDatHC, but honestly all it really is is GhostBlasters with Scooby characters instead of ghosts, and they threw in a few boxes of Scooby Snacks.

This is the main reason I like Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World more than the Scooby dark rides...

How interesting. And how did you get this information?

I had about a forty minute one-on-one meeting with the operations director of Rivertown the other day.

Besides, what kind of contract would that be? "You must remove EVERYTHING, literally, even the spiral logo on Drop Zone which wasn't even remotely related to the movie, but we made it, so you can't have it. And we have two rides themed to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. (And this is according to the operations director of Rivertown) one may not even maintain a "tomb" theme - it can't keep a storyline even vaguely related to an adventurous expedition. The other, however, may use all the movie props, movie music, and movie images you like. Enjoy!"

Nice try. I almost looked like an idiot, and you, like a wise elder. Too bad I know what I'm talking about and I don't just spew out random information. :rolleyes:

a. I didn't try to make you look like an idiot. I simply asked if you were privy to the contract. And you have answered that. You are not. The person to whom you spoke is also not a party to that contract, and almost certainly has never seen it. Nor have I. I do know that it is very specific about what can be done about each ride. How do I know that? You said so. You said the gentleman told you so and I believe you (and him). But I doubt any of us, including him, knows exactly what it says about what can and cannot be done with Viacom's intellectual property left behind, under license, by CBS when it sold to Cedar Fair.

b. My point is this...I am quite certain Cedar Fair would not purposely cheapen and make worse a ride experience unless it was required to. And the most logical constraints placing such requirements would either be contractual obligations or problems with the ride itself. It appears to be both. That being said, I seriously doubt Cedar Fair is not playing the Tomb Raider music on the ride at Kings Island (while doing so at other parks) unless there is a constraint that requires them to do so. I cannot imagine it is a voluntary choice, especially if, as you have stated, the operations manager you spoke to is aware of the concerns.

That all being said, please don't ask me to explain why they no longer play orchestral/grand entrance music on International Street. Any attempt I might make to do so would probably contradict the points I have already made.

In any event, I was in no way attempting to make you look like an idiot (nor me a wise elder). I was explaining that contractual reasons are a very likely reason for some of the changes (and your own post about your discussions with the gentleman earlier were in accord therewith).

Terpy...(a good discussion is almost always thought provoking!)

What if it is rethemed to a generic GhostBlasters theme? Will it still have the same charm?

Not to be hating on SDatHC, but honestly all it really is is GhostBlasters with Scooby characters instead of ghosts, and they threw in a few boxes of Scooby Snacks.

This is the main reason I like Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World more than the Scooby dark rides...

Wow.Dude all the Scooby-Doo dark rides are different! Have you ever been on Scooby Doo! Ghostblasters - The Mystery of the Scary? @ Six Flags Great America? It's WAAAAAAAY different than KI's, KD's and all the other paramount parks versions of the ride.Nah, I pefer ''ghostblasters'' to be themed to Scooby-Doo if there is one thing I hate it's generic themes.

My point is this...I am quite certain Cedar Fair would not purposely cheapen and make worse a ride experience unless it was required to.

I'm sure there are a lot of points within that post that I could reply to, but for the sake of my often-long-winded-ness, this one will do. We could broaden that claim to many attractions (for example, the lack of lighting within Flight of Fear's queue; the fact that Kings Dominion's Flight of Fear queue houses a haunted attraction, which is never taken down through the operating season, leaving the queue full of black plywood walls with no special effect lighting in the hanger; the removal of Scooby from The Haunted Castle, though the license will not expire for quite a few years, etc). But for the sake of simplicity consider only The Crypt.

The faux block walls are peeling off throughout the queue. Hot glue guns are too expensive, so camouflage netting is tacked up around the peeling pieces.

The lighting within the ride itself is going out one bulb at a time. Certainly part of the VIACOM deal didn't say that each light fixture is owned by Paramount, and that as each light in the park goes out, it must stay out?

Pneumatic devices are set to "bubble" the water within the fountains inside the ride. Though a green garden hose is wrapped around the platform by the front row, the ability to get that water into the fountains is just so much work!

And as you know, my 'pet peeve,' the Kings Dominion Crypt music. I know it's just you playing devil's advocate (again) that one of the former Tomb Raider rides is contractually obligated to lose all its original effects, music, theme (down to the very genre of ride it may be), while the other may retain its movie score, its movie props, and its movie images. But let's suspend reality for a second and dismiss the extreme improbability of that ( :rolleyes: ) and say that's true, that Kings Dominion's Crypt is somehow allowed to keep every movie tie-in but it's name... How did Firefall at California's Great America (which, indeed, was never owned by Paramount - originally at Geauga Lake as a Western themed ride) end up with the movie music?

All I'm saying is, that must've been some very erratically written contract if it allowed one ride to completely retain its original theme down to the movie props that stand in the queue, while its sister attraction (technically differentiated only by the fact that it's indoors and larger) must be completely rethemed, have nothing to do with adventure or tombs, etc. Meanwhile, an attraction installed a year after all things Tomb-Raider had been Crypt-ified is allowed to use the music originated (and still in use) at Kings Dominion.

What a contract that must've been! I wonder what other states are allowed to use the Tomb Raider music? Perhaps it's 25 / 25, and Ohio just happens to be on the "no" list.

I would not be surprised to see a generic ghost blasters theme, and not horribly disappointed. I rode Ghost Blasters up in Canada over the summer (POV video

), and I enjoyed it. However, even if his presence is through cheap cut-outs and what-not, Scooby-Doo would make any Ghost Blasters much better.

I would hope some sorta of theme around snoopy would be present after all that castle IS in the kids area of the park and not International Street.Paramount did that due to scooby-doo's contract stated that he cannot be near and seen with any of the nicktoons.

Me too! I want a Snoopy retheme give the ride a new look! I love Scooby and I will miss him at kings island but, if CF is gonna retheme the haunted castle they need to do it right! I hope it's not a lameass generic retheme.

Edited by KIStalker8398

I can see Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Mansion becoming something to do with The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. It wouldn't take to much to retheme it to that.

I love this idea. Although I will always love Scooby the most, that's just too perfect for the new theme. Hopefully they will do good with it.

Since we all know now that Snoopy and his gang have come in and kicked Scooby out of his castle along with his buddies, I was thinking that the former Haunted Castle could get turned into a Snoopy vs. the Red Baron light gun game.

Is it a possibility that it won't get rethemed to Snoopy at all? The Haunted Castle never really fit in with the Nick theme so why does it one have to now? If it's going to be Snoopy themed it will be interesting on how they interpret snoopy into the ride.

Edited by rcfreak339

Is it a possibility that it won't get rethemed to Snoopy at all? The Haunted Castle never really fit in with the Nick theme so why does it one have to now? If it's going to be Snoopy themed it will be interesting on how they interpret snoopy into the ride.

No one knows... And as The Haunted Castle, it wasn't necessarily supposed to fit the Nick theme. Scooby Doo is owned by Hannah Barbera, and, as is evidenced even on the park map, was technically part of International Street.

picture4u.png

As you can see (sort of), the pink of International Street stretches all the way towards Nick Universe, ending in only the bridge into the Castle retaining International Street's pink color. Notably, this was not the case with Phantom Theater, which, by means of the map, was a part of Hannah Barbera Land.

picture5ec.png

There's truly only three options as to what will happen with Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle next year -

First, it may retain its Haunted Castle theme, but be "generically" rethemed, replacing Scooby characters with generic characters (I actually wouldn't be opposed to it getting those cute little characters from Howl-O-Fest popping out in there - it would make it a fantastic family ride!)

Second, it may gain Charlie & Co. and be something themed to The Great Pumpkin or "Shoot The Ghosts, Charlie Brown!" (though the second is unlikely, I would say). I would say it's highly unlikely that if it remains a ride, it loses the Haunted Castle theme. Cedar Fair isn't necessarily one to call in Sally to retheme it to something entirely new. They'll likely either work with what they've got, or close it down. Which brings us to option three:

Third, it may be a warehouse next year, or perhaps be closed year round to house a haunt.

That's how I look at it anyway.

I'd like it if they did a ride in there.. Something along the lines of The Great Pumpkin or something, and then turn it into a haunt for September/October.

I know that KI closes for like 2-3 weeks in September to prepare for Haunt, and they could easily do it then. They could easily use the ride for the Haunt, and have the cars go through it.

Heres a few ideas for the haunt:

The Production Line

It could be like you are in a factory and the cars go through multiple scenes of different scary things such as:

1. Maybe some kind of Frankenstein-esque monster being created

2. People being slaughtered by machines that are supposed to be making things

The Toy/Doll Factory (something to do with dolls and scary toys)

Same kinda idea, but its a toy factory and scary people who look like dolls haunt the factory.. Maybe some freak took human victims and turned them into dolls... If it was just toys in general

they could use that jack-in-the-box that was in Coney Mall/Maul this year.

Well, just so people know. KI isn't closed when they are changing things for the Haunt; it’s just opened on Friday through Sunday.

I don’t see them changing the theaming of a ride just for the haunt either. Yes, that would be a cool haunt attraction, and the line would be at a steady pace, because people won’t stop in the middle because they got scared.

The only I see KI doing this is if they had the ride closed in late season. That would require much more work than other attractions, and plus they would need to work on them as well. Just an example is urgent scare, they never opened the right side of Action Theater, let alone if they really had anything to show, just to prepare it for the haunt; and I my opinion it doesn't seem to require much work to assemble.

And one more thing, I’m glad I have 2008 on my name, 2009 sucked for the crypt.