TOPGUN1993

Scooby Haunted Castle Retheme?

Carowinds PR Dani Swords just said on Clint Novaks podcast "In the Loop" That the scooby gang will be leaving this season. And they asked what would happen to the dark ride and she said "yeah it will be rethemed too"

So whats in-store for Kings Island Scooby-doo & the Haunted Castle?

I can see Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Mansion becoming something to do with The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. It wouldn't take to much to retheme it to that.

WTF!!! This makes me VERY ANGRY so I take Cedar Fair is stupid why would they get rid of Scooby and The Gang? Is this for Carowinds Only? Cedar Fair and Dark Rides Don't Mix! What could they retheme it to? Kids would rather slove mysteries with Scooby and The Gang than fight the red baron or wait for the great pumpkin... I'm sooo Pissed! Way to go Nutloafs...Scooby has been at Kings Island the other parks since they opened ...Damn you Cedar Fair!

:cussing:

I really want to see some statistics on how well-known Peanuts and Snoopy are... I'm familiar with them- as a child, we owned both the "Great Pumpkin" and "Easter Beagle" Peanuts VHS tapes, plus I saw them daily through-out elementary school on posters in the classroom, and annually at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I continue to see them daily in the Cincinnati Enquirer when I read the comics. I think they're more familiar than people are giving them credit for.

I think it will be themed into something kind of dumb and generic to do with Snoopy. I'd love if we got "Return of Phantom Theater" but obviously that's not going to happen. It'd be nice if KIE could hold an off season event to see the progress on Planet Snoopy, and maybe even get a sneak peak at the dark ride retheme!

^^I completely agree with you, Ty. When you think about it, Snoopy and the Peanuts have been around for decades, and there's still plenty of comics, posters, commercials, etc. with them. I really don't think it'll affect the park (or the CF chain as a whole) all that much. At the end of the day, the kids really only care about how fun the rides are - not necessarily who's featured on them.

Now if they can bring back The Beastie and Kings Mills Falls, I'll be happy. :D

Yeah I agree DropZone99 totally I welcome Snoopy But I just don't get why they would get rid of Scoob I mean he's been at Kings Island since ''72'' and he is still immensely popular maybe more so than Snoopy.. I'm not happy I told my scooby-doo loving nephew who is 7 and he got a little distraught and sad and I'm taking him this weekend to ride Scooby-Doo and The Haunted Castle one last time.

^^I completely agree with you, Ty. When you think about it, Snoopy and the Peanuts have been around for decades, and there's still plenty of comics, posters, commercials, etc. with them. I really don't think it'll affect the park (or the CF chain as a whole) all that much. At the end of the day, the kids really only care about how fun the rides are - not necessarily who's featured on them.

Now if they can bring back The Beastie and Kings Mills Falls, I'll be happy. :D

No.I disagree the only reason my nephews want to go is to see Spongebob and Scooby-Doo that's the highlight of their trip.Yeah Snoopy is popular but ask any child who they like better Spongebob or Snoopy and they will tell you Spongebob Ask a child if they like Scooby-Doo or Snoopy they will tell you Scooby-Doo.

I think everyone knows how I feel about Snoopy coming...but it boggles my mind to think that we will be losing Nick...and now possibly Scooby...if we do end up losing Scooby, I hope we find out the TRUTH somewhere down the road as to why...if it were ONLY because of money I feel like CF is trying to save money in some of the wrong places. I LOVE Diamondback more than anything the park has done in years...but I would trade it to keep Nick & Scooby...and that is NOT just loose talk, I mean it.

I think a lot of the people on this board know that I value atmosphere...and in my opinion we are going to be losing a LOT of that next year.

(And I wouldn't be so sure to say that these cuts won't affect the park...I will certainly get a season pass next year...but I can not say that the same may be true for my sister, brother-in-law & my 2 nephews...)

Saying most of the members on here probably aren't parents themselves, I thought I'd share a relative's thoughts, one who has three children (ages six, four, and two):

We love the idea--the kids will have just as much fun I think. But they won't know the characters as well as Nickelodeon characters. They watch the Peanuts cartoons around the holidays, and they definitely know who Snoopy is, and maybe Charlie Brown, but they probably don't know the other characters' names

I guess my point is, I believe that kids actually want to go to Kings Island to see Nick characters. Will they say they don't want to go once it's Snoopy? No. But they probably won't be excited. Yeah, Snoopy is on on the holidays and on classroom posters. But the fact of the matter is, kids don't run home from school to read the Sunday comics. They don't wait eagerly for the newest Snoopy movie. That's Nickelodeon. I don't think we'll see as much excitement from kids.

I just believe that kids would do less complaining waiting in the hot sun to see Dora's Sng-Along Adventure than they would waiting for Snoopy and Linus' Line Dancing Palooza.

The Haunted Castle news is upsetting to me. Whether it closes or is rethemed. The thing is, no matter how nicely they might retheme it, the fact of the matter will always be, it's not Scooby Doo, and they removed a perfectly delightful Scooby Doo ride. People will never stop comparing. No matter how great the Crypt was on its own merits, it was always the downgrade of Tomb Raider: The Ride. This new dark ride will always be "the replacement for that Scooby ride that we loved.''

Cedar Fair somehow is under the impression that once they own a park, the park's history is theirs to control. They shouldn't expect that. If things were reversed and it was now called Paramount's Cedar Point and Millennium became Cloverfield: The Ride, people would still call it Millennium. They just would. No matter how many years went by, parents would call it Millennium around their kids, teens would call it Millennium, Millennium is just what the ride is. Top Gun will always be Top Gun, Drop Zone will always be Drop Zone, and nothing is going to change that, because that's part of the park.

(That aside,) Cedar Fair does not have the right to change aspects of the park which are so rooted in history and so beloved, like Scooby Doo. Sure it's "their park," but we don't know how much longer it will be with their track record, and they certainly have no right to go about "redesigning" rides which are operating perfectly with rides like Son of Beast, Action Theater, Italian Job, Crypt, and Top Gun all BEGGING for some TLC or any kind of budget.

GoodYellowKoRn182 I couldn't have said it better myself you nailed it ''Bullseye''!!!!

Just like Tomb Raider:The Ride I'm afraid my beloved Scooby Doo Dark Ride will become low par.

I rather have Scooby-Doo than Snoopy and I'd much rather have Tomb Raider than the Crypt.

Cedar Fair and Dark Rides don't mix! People!!

Sure I'll welcome Snoopy and Crew but I'd rather not if Scooby-Doo is gonna go scoob's gonna take a long streak of the parks history with him and my nephews loved the haunted castle I think the replacement will be sorry and lame just look at the crypt.

Prove me wrong Cedar Fair.Prove me wrong!

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

If things were reversed and it was now called Paramount's Cedar Point and Millennium became Cloverfield: The Ride, people would still call it Millennium. They just would. No matter how many years went by, parents would call it Millennium around their kids, teens would call it Millennium, Millennium is just what the ride is. Top Gun will always be Top Gun, Drop Zone will always be Drop Zone, and nothing is going to change that, because that's part of the park.

So, who wants to head on over to Kings Island and ride Amazon Falls? Maybe ride the Scooby-Doo wooden coaster? Take a spin on Outer Limits? If you wanted, we could head on over to the water park and ride Rushing River and then swim in Surfside Bay.

People adapt to new names. Sure, there are those "stubborn" enough to be calling the ride's by older names ten years down the road, but more people seem to slowly start accepting the names.

(That aside,) Cedar Fair does not have the right to change aspects of the park which are so rooted in history and so beloved, like Scooby Doo. Sure it's "their park," but we don't know how much longer it will be with their track record

They paid $1.24-billion for the Paramount Parks... and they don't have the right to do whatever they want with them? :huh: As far as I'm concerned, Cedar Fair has the right to shut-down all of Kings Island without prior notice and only operate it as a water-park from now on... :P (Of course, we'd hope that they'd never do something as foolish as that, Kings Island being the third (?) most visited Cedar Fair park)

I guess my point is, I believe that kids actually want to go to Kings Island to see Nick characters. Will they say they don't want to go once it's Snoopy? No. But they probably won't be excited. Yeah, Snoopy is on on the holidays and on classroom posters. But the fact of the matter is, kids don't run home from school to read the Sunday comics. They don't wait eagerly for the newest Snoopy movie. That's Nickelodeon. I don't think we'll see as much excitement from kids.

I just believe that kids would do less complaining waiting in the hot sun to see Dora's Sng-Along Adventure than they would waiting for Snoopy and Linus' Line Dancing Palooza.

The Haunted Castle news is upsetting to me. Whether it closes or is rethemed. The thing is, no matter how nicely they might retheme it, the fact of the matter will always be, it's not Scooby Doo, and they removed a perfectly delightful Scooby Doo ride. People will never stop comparing. No matter how great the Crypt was on its own merits, it was always the downgrade of Tomb Raider: The Ride. This new dark ride will always be "the replacement for that Scooby ride that we loved.''

Cedar Fair somehow is under the impression that once they own a park, the park's history is theirs to control. They shouldn't expect that. If things were reversed and it was now called Paramount's Cedar Point and Millennium became Cloverfield: The Ride, people would still call it Millennium. They just would. No matter how many years went by, parents would call it Millennium around their kids, teens would call it Millennium, Millennium is just what the ride is. Top Gun will always be Top Gun, Drop Zone will always be Drop Zone, and nothing is going to change that, because that's part of the park.

(That aside,) Cedar Fair does not have the right to change aspects of the park which are so rooted in history and so beloved, like Scooby Doo. Sure it's "their park," but we don't know how much longer it will be with their track record, and they certainly have no right to go about "redesigning" rides which are operating perfectly with rides like Son of Beast, Action Theater, Italian Job, Crypt, and Top Gun all BEGGING for some TLC or any kind of budget.

I totally agree with everything you said. Even though the contract did end with Nickelodeon, they could of renewed it I'm sure. It may cost alot, but I would think buying the rights for Snoopy to be at KI, CW, Carowinds, KD, & CGA would be alot more expensive. Than you also have to retheme everything else, and possibly get new rides. I just think it'd be cheaper to stay with Nickelodeon and it would be a much better move for CF.

And another thing, why are they spending so much money in this when there is other things that need much more attention? Top Gun has been in need for a paint job for years, they need to give it some TLC very badly, it's one of the best coasters in the park (my second favorite steel coaster at KI) yet it looks so bad. Crypt is in desperate need for help, most of us enthusiasts don't like it anymore and even the GP are starting to say things like "Next time lets not ride that." "That was a waste of time" "That sucked, I liked it better as Tomb Raider." I know they can't bring back Tomb Raider, but they can give it a better theme with a backstory, put in a new ride in the building, and make it fit in with the Rivertown atmosphere... Even though Cedar Fair just got us Diamondback, my current #1 coaster, I'd rather not have it and have the park be Paramount!

If they can call in an outside company to retheme a dark ride which has already proven itself successful (see, Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle), then they can call in an outside company to retheme a dark ride which is increasingly falling in the park rankings (see, The Crapt).

<Crypt rant>

I would literally sell my soul to have Merlin Entertainment come in and retheme The Crypt to Tomb Blaster or something that utilizes no copyrighted names, no movie props, no new, space-age technology, or anything else. It would literally be a one-time cost sort of thing and we might have water, fog, a new musical score, etc.

The thing I'm saying is, the Crypt's current ride cycle is probably about 30 seconds shorter than the original Tomb Raider cycle. I have the Tomb Raider: The Ride score on my iPod (both the version with the sound effects, Lara's voice, etc., AND THE ONE WITHOUT). How about I hook them up with the mp3 of the Tomb Raider music, and they just play it. Doesn't matter if it's synchronized, doesn't matter if it's a bit too long... Just play it. It's thrilling, it's lively... Remember when the audio stopped working on Tomb Raider, and how boring the cycle was? But with the music, it truly was a lot of fun! We could have that added fun back!

If Kings Dominion gets their Tomb Raider music, so do we. And it's not even like it slipped under the radar that it was some Paramount music playing in the park, because they took it and added it to Firefall at Great America, and its not even got the same ride cycle. Like, that honestly is one thing that honestly pisses me off. I don't get worked up about much, but Kings Dominion's Crypt has every single special effect it opened with, Tomb Raider music, monkey warrior statues... It's honestly not fair, and it bothers me a lot. Just play our old Tomb Raider music. OR play Kings Dominion's Tomb Raider music! I don't care!

They don't even have to bring in an outside company... Flip the light switch that turns on the goddess' eyes, play Kings Dominion's Tomb Raider music, fill the lava pits with a freaking hose and press the button that turns them on, and there you go. A much improved ride for maybe three hundred dollars. Maybe. Even with its current ride cycle, if they switched on the fountains and just had them consistently running during the ride cycle, you'd fall towards them and whiz past them four or five times.

</Crypt rant>

So yes, indeed, keep Scooby Doo. With the money they'd save, they can easily repaint Top Gun and fix the Crypt. It's already too late for Son of Beast according to the popular opinion, so invest your money where you need it. Scooby is doing fine and the queue is always full. The money they have from leaving Scooby honestly and truly would be enough to revitalize the Crypt and repaint Top Gun - isn't that like, all we ever ask for? Those two things are the basis of most people's complaints, and they can be easily and cheaply fixed this off season!! Are you listening Cedar Fair? FLIGHT DECK NEEDS PAINT, CRYPT NEEDS KINGS DOMINION'S MUSIC AND SOME LOUSY FOUNTAINS.

When CF first brought in the Peanuts to Geauga Lake in 2005 the kids didn't warm up to them very quick. I'm sure they know who Snoopy is but Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, and Sally? They have no clue. They'll eventually get used to seeing them in the park but don't expect kids to run up to them like they do for the Nick characters.

Something else that you guys might be getting next year - "Peanuts Rockin' Party". The "live" show they ran at GL for three years may be coming your way soon.

As for SDATHC, either CF is going to scrap the dark ride as a whole and use the space for something else or you're going to see a scaled down dark ride either themed to the Great Pumpkin or have a ride that highlights all of the Peanuts holiday shows.

Did anyone watch the "In the Loop" video? Clint said "Planet Snoopy is coming to all of the paramount parks and Dani said "yes"

last i checked we were one of the paramount parks :)

As for SDATHC, either CF is going to scrap the dark ride as a whole and use the space for something else or you're going to see a scaled down dark ride either themed to the Great Pumpkin or have a ride that highlights all of the Peanuts holiday shows.

Or, an un-mentioned fourth option, the ride may just have a generic haunted-house theme, like Ghost Blasters in Canada:

^Is there any chance that the ride could be changed away from the "scary dark ride" theme to something more pleasant? Maybe it could be like a showcase of Peanuts shows or something, with music and everything. It could inform people about the Peanuts.

^Could it? Yes. Will it? I highly doubt that... I expect either a generic house or a Snoopy-themed haunted house of some sort much more than I do a non-haunted-house themed to Snoopy.

I can see it now. Snoopy and a ghost fly up out of best screaming. If your laser hits Woodstock, Snoopy's head pops out of a planter while Lucy chases Charlie around on the turntable (though they're both in Halloween costumes, of course). Linus plays the evil organ.

... My God this is going to suck. Hahha. Just kidding, of course. Who knows what could happen!