Sign in to follow this  
Asa

Planet Snoopy- New in 2010

Before anyone says anything, even though it's on Kings Island's website, don't believe it yet. (Until the park makes an official announcement.)

Why, you may ask?

Take a look http://visitkingsisland.com/attractions/detail.cfm?ai_id=545. Notice, it's on the "visitkingsisland.com" domain. Notice how the image is broken. Similar to Planet Snoopy.

Now, take a look http://www.kingsdominion.com/attractions/d...l.cfm?ai_id=545. Notice the new domain. "kingsdominion.com". Look how all the information is exactly the same, except the image loads. The page ID is the same.

What I'm getting at, is your most likely pulling another former Paramount Park's announcement. The sites seem to be somewhat interchangeable.

KING ISLAND TO BECOME HOME TO THE PEANUTS GANG IN 2010

The world's most popular beagle, Snoopy, will have a new home at Kings Island, beginning in 2010.

Planet Snoopy will be located in Kings Island's "Best Kids' Area in the World" section (Amusement Today Golden Ticket award 2001 through 2008) and will boast an elaborate collection of Peanuts-themed rides and attractions for every age, including more kids' roller coasters (four) than any other park in the world. Planet Snoopy will also feature a live stage show and daily meet and greet opportunities with the Peanuts characters such as Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy and Linus.

Fall 2009 marks the kick off to the 60th anniversary of Peanuts. Since its inception on October 2, 1950, Peanuts now appears in over 2,200 newpapers, on iTunes, through wireless and online channels, in 75 countries, and in 25 languages around the world. Peanuts animated television specials, including "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charle Brown," won or were nominated for Emmy Awards.

"Peanuts are an international icon," Kings Island's vice president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "Snoopy and his pals like Charlie Brown, Lucy and Linus are instantly recognizable among children and adults alike. We look forward to the Peanuts Gang becoming part of the world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment for our guests."

Planet Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang will replace Nickelodeon Universe and Scooby-Doo.

Picture46-2.png

I think I may have to convince my parents to go back before the end of this season, especially if Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle is leaving. Lots of memories in that ride. I am excited about Planet Snoopy, however, I am not happy about Scooby leaving.

^^Made who mad? All the coaster enthusiasts who vote in the Golden Ticket Awards poll? Cause last time I checked, Kings Island wasn't trying to please a bunch of roller coaster enthusiasts with the kids' area...

i just dont see why kings island wants to put in a planet snoopy if there is one just 3 hours from there. it just doesnt make anysince. why would two parks in the same state pretty much next to eachother want to have the same kids area?

coasters are all unique in each park making them very different from each other, but if you put the same exact area in a park that is just a couple of hours away from another one........that is what makes it stupid

^And kid areas are also unique from each other. Cedar Point and Kings Island will have very different rides in the seperate Snoopy themed areas- do any of Cedar Point's Snoopy-areas have a junior inverted roller coaster? Or a small wooden roller coaster?

And isn't Frontier Trail at Cedar Point pretty similar to Rivertown at Kings Island? They're both Western themed...

Wonder if they actually polled the kids about this little decision? As I've said concerning the Nick vs. Snoopy discussion, it's about what draws in the kids, and (though I don't know), I don't think this is going to do it. And the fact of the matter is, if little Timmy doesn't care one way or the other if he goes to Kings Island since Spongebob and Scooby are gone, why would Mommy and Daddy drop $45 each? They won't. So let's hope they DID poll some families before his decision was made. Knowing Cedar Fair, I doubt it. But we'll see.

I think you all are WAY over reacting.

Jesus. Its snoopy. its not like kids have never heard of him. they could have re named it something worse. be happy.

Edited by Asa

Snoopy = Generic, theme-less Cedar Point.

Nickelodeon = Family-oriented Kings Island.

Cedar Point caters to thrill seekers who happen to drag their kids along. Kings Island caters to families primarily, and thrill seekers just happen to find plenty to do as well.

^My cousins (ages 6, 4, and 2) love to visit Kings Island annually, spending their whole time in Nickelodeon Universe. However, their parents limit their TV viewing to a very small amount- they are barely familiar with any of the characters in Nickelodeon Universe (except Scooby-Doo, which is technically part of International Street). Despite this, they are still extremely excited about visiting, and love each of the rides- rather they know who that character on the side is or not. Of course, that's just the case with those three- it may be very different with others.

I just don't think that a majority of parents limit their kid's TV viewing in such a way. In fact, I'd argue that most kid's are extremely familiar with Spongebob, Dora, Scooby, Diego, Avatar, and the whole lot.

Does this mean the end of the Ghastly Manor as a whole? - Like, no more dark rides? Because none of the other parks have announced that Scooby is leaving, right?

I suppose SDATHC could easily be converted into Snoopy's Haunted Mansion... But would Cedar Fair go through the trouble?

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

^I was wondering the same thing. Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle is extremely similar to a generic Sally Dark Ride, like Ghost Blasters 3D in Canada (video

). It wouldn't be hard to remove the Scooby-Doo references from the attraction and make it a generically-themed haunted house dark-ride. Or, highly doubtful they would, but they could turn it into a "Great Pumpkin" themed attraction, changing some of the sets here-and-there.

I could see SDATHC being converted to something having to do with the great pumpkin. It'll be interesting to see how they re-theme it.

^^

... Or turn it into a storage warehouse. Remember who we're dealing with here! It's a shame, though! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Scooby Doo licensing is provided through Sally Corp., and thus not their responsibility to pay for annually? It's very strange, as all of the other Paramount Parks seem to be keeping their various Scooby Doo dark rides. So I haven't the slightest idea why they'd chose to include it in the renovation unless they actually do plan to do something with it. Otherwise, they'd just leave it open as (?) the other parks are.

I actually would be extremely pleasantly surprised if they did some contracting to create a Great Pumpkin dark ride. Never seen the movie, but it would definitely be a unique and fantastic addition to the kids area (since technically, Scooby wasn't). They must be aware that their kids area is highly regarded, and needs to be maintained. I would be very supportive of the decision to either leave Scooby or renovate it into a fitting and comparable dark ride. If they plan to just use the old Enchanted Theater for Snoopy's Big Bow Wow and close the ride, I won't be okay with that. (:

from what i have read and seen, cedar fair simply does not like dark rides. i remember seeing quite a few posts at how they simply remove dark rides putting nothing in their place or any rethemes... i sincerely hope this is not the case. and as to whether kids know snoopy, sadly i would say a vast majority do not. they simply arent conveniently accessed. unless they are watching a christmas or halloween special, they wont be on tv. Youd have to buy the peanuts collection on dvd otherwise, which a vast majority of parents wont. You dont hear yay! peanuts! from any little kid in my family or others that i know, its hey spongebob! or scooby doo!

My God, there really is no pleasing the masses...

The rides will stay the same, just get re-themed. I really don't think it will affect the kids much. Sure, its nice to ride something themed to a show you always watch, but (like what was mentioned before), most of the Nick themes are outdated as it is. If CP's Planet Snoopy was a failure, I wouldn't think they would add it to all the former PPs. But they did, so obviously CP's didn't bomb. And just so you know, CF, KI, and the majority of the amusement park industry doesn't give a rat's a** about the Golden Tickets. They are starting to become more and more of a popularity contest and less and less of a valid award.

^Were the Golden Ticket Awards ever a valid award system? I didn't think that Nickelodeon Central and Hanna-Barbera Land deserved the award before 2006- many other kiddie-areas which were far nicer and better-kept. Nickelodeon Universe, on the other hand, is very colorful, well cared-for, and features some beautiful landscaping. It's at least worthy of being in the Top 5 best children's areas- if not #1.

The Golden Ticket Awards might not be valid to enthusiasts, but the general public doesn't know that or agree. If a family was planning a trip to any amusement park I believe they would choose the one with multiple awards.

and theres the fact that you cant miss that fact. it shows up on ads all the time. you cant say that cf doesnt care, as if they didnt they wouldnt list it. even if it is an unfair award, or whatever the fact is when a parent hears oh its the best in the country, they would spend more than say a run of the mill kids area to take their kids...

If CP's Planet Snoopy was a failure, I wouldn't think they would add it to all the former PPs. But they did, so obviously CP's didn't bomb. And just so you know, CF, KI, and the majority of the amusement park industry doesn't give a rat's a** about the Golden Tickets. They are starting to become more and more of a popularity contest and less and less of a valid award.

Two things:

1. The cartoon characters that we are all familar with and love, whether Hanna-Barbera or Nick, have been a vital part of Kings Island's identity since day one. When I think of the park I not only think of the The Beast or Eiffel Tower but the images of those characters come to mind as well. When I've been approached in the past about what park to go to to take kids at Nick age I tell them to go to Kings Island over CP despite the 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive from here.

The reason Snoopy has done well at CP was the fact that CP never really had park mascots to help with their identity until CF acquired Knott's, where they inherited the characters. They had the Berenstain Bears at one time but I don't think they were as marketable as HB/Nick.

2. If CF doesn't care about the Golden Tickets then whey do the brag about CP being the "Best Park on the Planet for "X" number of Years" and are proudly displaying it on banners at the park? That place is nowhere near being the best.