Sign in to follow this  
GoodYellowKoRn182

Kings Dominion Announces INTIMIDATOR 305

INTIMIDATOR 305

http://www.intimidator305.com/public/ride/statistics.cfm

To be honest, it's not exactly what I was hoping for. With speed like that, I'd love to see some great airtime hills like Millennium Force. Though I haven't ridden it and don't want to judge, I feel like it's mostly hanging out on the ground turning with one mild airtime hill. Plus, watch the POV... It really is Maverick on steriods, with all that slamming from side to side unnecessarily... It's like the worst parts of Maverick (those transitions right after the first drop) put onto a 90+ mph monster.

And it uses Intamin Accelerator restraints. <_< I thought this would be like, Millennium 2.0, and just having those accelerator restraints makes me think this may be just a step or two below.

But interestingly, the main hill is supported by only two giant supports! I think I might rather see an intricate support structure since it looks more intimidating (unnecessary sigh at Cedar Fair names :rolleyes: ), but it is very interesting looking.

Overall, it'll obviously be an incredible addition to Kings Dominion which any park would be happy to have... It's just not what I expected as far as layout and stuff. But I have high hopes for the actual ride!

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

Yeah, this does not look too exciting, apart from that 305 foot drop. And you're right, it is Maverick on steroids. I did enjoy those quick turns though. But those restraints kill if you push them down too far.

Well, good for Kings Dominion.

Edited by Corkscrew

I've been waiting for this announcement a while- thanks for posting this.

As long as there are a few overbanked turns, the coaster will probably be a really fun ride, hopefully they keep most of the trees near the ride.

Even more fun if the second hill was higher, or if there was a third big hill.

The transitions look rather harsh, to say the least.

Edited by Coney Island Rocks

I agree, I am a little disappointed that there is no big second hill. KD has lots of land I dont know why they didn't make more use of it. The first drop will be awesome, but going 90 mph through some of those s-curves could be painful, especially with those restraints. I hit my head hard enough on them with Maverick. It almost worries me that they are going to trim the crap out of this coaster. Anyone else notice in the animation that there is a curve out of the second hill into a short straight piece then into the next curve. I'm betting a huge trim goes there. I can say I am definitely a little disappointed with the length of the ride and only 2 trains, however, I am mixed on how good I think it will be when it is done. No doubt it will feel short and fast, but right now I am not sure what to expect for how good of a ride it will give.

Holy Shi--!!! My source was right! Dang now I feel bad that I didn't take truth to what she said. I will be riding this I will make a trip to KD next summer I'm gonna have to plan that out now so happy!

They stole our track color and support colors.... we had those first on the lift hill. I had a displeased face on when I watched the POV... WAY too many turns, whoo I bet that first hill is a very weak floater.... <_<

As a quick aside, I actually prefer to think that Flight of Fear DOES fit in the Congo... Like, the government put a secret area inside of a dense jungle and that's where they're storing their space craft remains. Now of course, that story is blown out of the water by Intimidator 305.

I don't doubt it will be a fun coaster. I think you're being a bit emotional when you say it has no redeeming features. The thing is, if Kings Island were getting this, sure we'd complain about the layout but I think we'd be very very very happy to get a coaster with such raw speed, and that would bring such publicity to the park.

I doubt they meant to do this, but it works out to the "themes" advantage that it's so low to the ground. Like a racing car swerving around and stuff... Could they have done 10x better with all the land that they've got? Of course. Could the layout be 10x better? Yes. But it will be a fine coaster that will greatly improve the coaster count at Kings Dominion. It does everything it needs to do to attract costumers, and it's not like the coaster is an epic fail.

It'll do fine, and it will be fun. Better than Millennium? No way! But something tells me Cedar Fair didn't ASK the designers to beat Millennium, and didn't WANT them to, you know? Cedar Point upstaged by some random Virginia park? I don't think so.

Also (and this is so lame that I complain about this, but naming IS important - see Flight Deck), I don't like how 305 is tacked on the end. I don't know why, I just don't. You know that not one member of the GP will actually call it "Intimidator 305.' It will be "The Intimidator" as far as they're concerned. So it's like, an unnecessary little hiccup that they just added for no reason. hahah.

^I completely agree. As fast as Intimidator 305 will be, i'd rather have the airtime machine we have in Diamondback that a giga with what appears to be very little airtime.

I do agree, however, that the layout does fit the theme very well. It would fit the theme even better if they were only left turns, lol. Anyway, we could all be surprised at how it turns out in the end. The track is very low to the ground which could give a unique sensation of speed and danger. With the OTS lap bars and the lack of airtime I doubt it will be better than MF though.

Well I know someone recreating the ride in NL and he has the first airtime hill pretty much perfect with the duration of the element. I'm kinda disappointed because apparently the vertical g will be +0.1 to 0.0 and that always feels like you try to get airtime.

yeah like most of you are saying, the layout looks pretty dull other than the drop and i guess one cannot judge until ridden but just by appearances it just doesnt look all that amazing. MF definitely is a great and exciting ride and i would assume it will be interesting to hear comparisons amongst the two when the time comes, but something tells me MF will still be better even after 10 years ( next year of course... )

and personally im GLAD we got Diamondback. at least Diamondback not only has more hills, but its just a very exciting/beautiful coaster to watch with the big water splashdown at the end and what not. so really im not jealous that we didnt get a giga. im perfectly happy with our Diamondback and i wouldnt trade. plus, i bet Intimidator 305 will not be all that reliable because no offense to Intamin but it doesnt seem like their rides are as reliable as B+M and those OTSR dont look too comfortable. im perfectly happy with the comfortable open seats on Diamondback where i can stick my feet out and hands up and feel completely free. Intimidator looks like a buzz kill in that department.

sorry i sound so brash. either way its exciting to see another giga built after so long and i do hope it proves to be more exciting than what it appears to be, but i still wouldnt trade Diamondback!!! :D

I have to agree with all of you. An Intamin giga version of Diamonback would be impressive; this one is not. That first drop will be just as great as Millie's but the rest is a waste of height and speed. This layout is more suitable for a LIM/LSM/hydraulic launch coaster.

Couldn't they have at least left off the 305? Intimidator is a good name alone without the goofy numbers.

Thank you again CF for giving KI Diamondback.

I wish they'd give Diamondback to KD. :(

I wished they had given Dominator to KI instead of Firehawk (X-Flight)...

However... Diamondback FTW this time.

:blink:

Wow. I'm honestly speechless.

I think this ride looks absolutely fantastic. I think the Maverick-style restraints are awesome. I have never had any problem whatsoever with headbanging with the shoulder straps. None. Plus, the seats and restraints are plenty roomy for my huge arse - which I can't say about Beemers. But there's a lot of people already putting this ride down simply from the POV animations. Hell, this ride is barely off the ground and there's already a plethora of complaints about it. Why can't we all just wait until its open before we give our reviews? I just don't understand it...

I'm with you, DiSab - I look forward to the ride. It's not at all what I expected, but like I said, it'll be a great addition to the KD lineup and if Kings Island was getting it, I would be VERY excited.

But there's a lot of people already putting this ride down simply from the POV animations. Hell, this ride is barely off the ground and there's already a plethora of complaints about it. Why can't we all just wait until its open before we give our reviews? I just don't understand it...

Just gotta point out, we were extremely positive and ecstactic about Diamondback this time last year just based off of POVs, before it was even off the ground... People can feel just as negatively about Intimidator at this point as we felt positively about Diamondback last year at this time. Can't have a double standard! :P

^Except that POV animations, renderings, etc. are released early to build up excitement and get people to the park to ride it when it opens - not the opposite. ;)

I was starting to have high hopes for this ride, but I must admit, I am a tad disappointed. However, I do think it's being unjudged a tad fairly. Here's the new ride's layout:

KD13.jpg

And here's Millennium Force, often one of the highest-ranked roller coasters in the world:

MillenniumForce_OverviewLo.jpg

There are some obvious differences, but I think the two ride experiences will be similar. Intimidator 305 could've been more exciting- tunnels, more air-time hills, over pathways, ect.- but it still looks like a great coaster. However, with its $25,000,000 price tag, I'd have preferred Diamondback, or a new and unique B&M hyper. Intimidator 305's addition may make us more likely to plan a trip there for 2010, however.

whoo I bet that first hill is a very weak floater.... <_<

So kinda like the ones on Millie except better?

Well I know someone recreating the ride in NL and he has the first airtime hill pretty much perfect with the duration of the element. I'm kinda disappointed because apparently the vertical g will be +0.1 to 0.0 and that always feels like you try to get airtime.

Yes because NoLimits is always PERFECT with G's...

I personally think the ride looks awesome. Thanks for the aerial layouts. Judging by layouts, I actually think Intimidator 305 looks better. I don't know what you guys are saying with Millie's "airtime" hills. I just call them hills, as they are definitely lacking airtime. It looks like we'll have to wait and see if this one delivers.

^Welcome to the site! Just a friendly reminder, however, try not to double post whenever possible ;)

Comparing the overviews of Millennium Force and Intimidator 305, I305 (I assume that's what it'll be abbreviated as) is much more compact and seems to feature more intense transitions (some of those turns look painful...). It still looks like a good ride at least, and I am hoping to give it a try next year. The drop itself looks fantastic, and the lack of supports is kinda cool. Like said before, however, tunnels like on MF would've been cool. Would've added variety to the continuous turns and small hills.

You guys crack me up....

First, it's "KD gets a giga and all we get is a hyper." type comments.

Now, it's "It doesn't have this, it doesn't have that." "I don't like the theming."

Dont be happy they(Cedar Fair) have in less than 2 years invested $47 MILLION in new coasters for KI and KD.

MF and I305 were NOT built for airtime.... they are speed machines.

I think the transitions along this ride will not be anymore intense as those on Maverick.

EDIT: now that i think about it I305 looks more fun than MF.

Edited by Sheikra_rocks

I think the big problem is everyone on the web overhyped how big and bad this ride was going to be. The majority of people seemed to think it would be the tallest gravity coaster and the fact that it isnt was a hug let down. I know I voiced my complaints from looking at the layout, however, that does not mean I am still not excited for the new ride. The POV made the ride look a lot better to me than when i started analyzing the layout. Obviously this is going to be a great ride. A 300 foot drop is breath taking and not something most coaster riders experience very often. The fact that its 5 degrees steeper than MF makes it even more exciting. The thing I am most worried about is how forceful some of those transitions will be. They are most likely perfect and wont cause much head banging because Intamin is a great designer, but its still my main concern. I did say in one of my previous posts that I dont believe it will be as good as MF, however, I'll wait til I ride it to make the final verdict (although I probably need to go to CP again and ride MF to make a good comparison). And while I have complained that there is no airtime on I305 that is because i prefer airtime on coasters to speed.

Edited by Jstbcool

True, guys. At least this isn't a Premier family coaster with theming that doesn't always work - it's an Intamin Giga... Probably the fact that much of the layout stays closer to the ground is more appropriate to the ride's name. However, I have to maybe state that the NASCAR theme would've had even more clout with a horizontal launch (like Rita at Alton Towers).

Another thing thrown into the discussion is that Intimidator 305 is a "speed machine, not airtime machine" - the same way I feel with Millennium Force, which was engineered well (maybe a bit too well to minimize -g forces.)

And one thing that I must give props to I-305 is the OTSRs - they're easier to deal with than the pain-in-ass short seatbelts MF has. Ideally i'd prefer the Intamin lapbar system, but they seem to have gone away from that. B&M has perfected the lapbar, and that is part of why some here are happier with a B&M hyper in their home park than an Intamin.

Even though I wished these type of coasters had airtime, I really like this one better than MF. But I still think both have kind of a crap layout. MF is much more drawn out than this is, so IMHO the ride will be more fun with the quick transitions it has.

I think I305 does look alot better than MF. MF is just speed and high turns, no airtime. I305 looks like there is some airtime, and alot of low to the ground turns. I'll admit, it's not what I was wanting and expecting but it looks amazing, and I really want to ride it. I'm hoping that the race car theme will get removed sometime. :)