Sign in to follow this  
wildbill782002

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Hey I just went on the website and watched the new videos they put up. On BSC it looked like water was shooting up before the tunnel. I don't remember it happening when I rode it. But, I have only had the chance to ride it once. Did it shoot water once and they quite it and whats up? Thanks in advance just curious!?

When under Paramount ownership, yes. You'll notice to this day that the helicopter shoots two times. The first, nothing happens. The second, the fire erupts. When it was still "The Italian Job: Stunt Track," that first round burst pipes all around you, which shot "gasoline" all over the scene (some got riders wet). Then, the second round of helicopter shots ignited the gasoline, which is what causes the fire. The barrels of gasoline sort of "popping" out water during the second launch was used during that time.

As you can see today, the water effects were discontinued once it became the Backlot Stunt Coaster, including the effects described above and the splashdown. The fog machines were also turned off at this time. If you look at the grand scheme of things, though, it's not just this ride: Cedar Fair turned off water effects on all of their rides the year they bought the Paramount Parks, including Anaconda's splashdown at Kings Dominion (which in my opinion made the ride), and all of their "older" and unthemed top spins like Thunderhawk at Worlds of Fun, as well as our Crypt.

It didn't necessarily have anything to do with them gutting the theme of The Crypt, they simply discontinued any water effects on most of their rides. Granted, FireFall at CGA has water effects (and a Tomb Raider soundtrack even though it was never even lightly themed to anything vaguely related to tombs or adventure?) as does KD's Crypt (and a Tomb Raider soundtrack... While we get howling dogs even though our ride IS related to tombs and adventure as well?).. Just sayin'!

And here's an unrelated thing... How come FireFall & KD's Crypt get Tomb Raider music synchronized to their ride cycles while we get barking dogs. And KD plays literally the Tomb Raider movie score over the park speakers in their Congo area. Like, I know the tracklist, and was able to tell my friends which song was coming up next. They straightup play the Tomb Raider CD for ambiance, while we have creepy dollhouse music that doesn't fit in our Crypt queue and a barking dog soundtrack!!

at least a fraction of our theming on our BLSC works, Canada's Wonderland's BLSC didnt have any working theming and it was very uncomfortable when i went there last summer and rode it.

The thing that sucks is, based on situations like Canada's BLSC and even in our Crypt and Flight of Fear, you can just tell that when an effect breaks, it won't be replaced. Whenever a lightbulb burns out in the Crypt, we'll just have one less light. When the fire on BLSC needs a fix or tune-up, it'll just be left to literally burn out. It's sad. This is why amusement park owners ought not buy theme parks!

Most of FOF's theming is permanent (UFO, hangar queue props/environment, station etc.) so there's not as much to fail on it as, say, Backlot with the animatronic helicopter and fire.

It actually surprises me how many people think BLSC inverts in that tunnel - even from those who have ridden the ride many times before. :lol:

But when you think about it, a lot of the effects on some of the rides - particularly BLSC - broke under Paramount ownership (or were never working correctly from the beginning). Many of them were just left broken and never fixed, and they have pretty much stayed that way until now. Of course, this didn't only happen under the Paramount ownership, but a good number of major parts breaking back then were never fixed properly.

^^

This is just my wild stab in the dark and I have no idea if this is even partly legitimate, but I have this feeling that the water pumps under the track under the bridge controlled everything. Like, I'm sure that those very water pumps were responsible for cleaning the water, spraying out the splashdown, and, more than likely, were used to pump water up to the helicopter scene. It only makes sense that they draw the helicopter scene's water from an already-pumping water basin.

And while a lot of things did go wrong under Paramount, you can't possibly say they're responsible for most, or even a majority of the problems that plague the "themed" rides. I'd rather ride the on-its-last-leg, minimal-lighting Tomb Raider than our current Crypt. And one of the coolest things about IJST was the splashdown. Like, it wasn't necessary, it was just fun, and that's why it was there.

Plus, I think fans of Canada's Wonderland or Kings Dominion would be pretty angry if you blamed their BLSTs problems on Paramount - CW's doesn't have fire or water, and KD"s fire is synchronized incorrectly so the final burst doesn't ignite until the train is in the tunnel. They did work under Paramount ownership.

Nice! When I visited Kd, Flight of Fear's music was sorely missed by my group. It's a subtle but immersive part of the ride. You can lightly hear it from the station and throughout the ride. And it is well-synchronized! I have it on my iPod, and I can tell exactly where in the ride the train would be.

Does anyone out there ever wish Disney would buy the Kings parks in particular? We'd never ever ever have another topic about "Hey, why did this effect get turned off?" or "The music actually played!! It was a miracle!" Hahha.

I typically don't purchase on ride souvenirs. But to me, I'd MUCH sooner buy a photo than a video. Videos are fun, but anyone who puts even two seconds of thought into it would say "Well if I ever want my friends to see this, I have to set them all day and put in a DVD." You can set a photo on the table. It takes a lot of work to have everyone sit down for a 2 minute DVD of you screaming.

That means videos are an impulse buy, and a lot of people have learned to recognize those in this economic time and will be smart enough to avoid them even when times turn around.