TheSkipper

Son of Beast Closed for Rest of 2009- Maybe Forever

IF the park is not planning on re-opening SOB...and since the ride has been cleared to run anyway, wouldn't it be interesting if they had a charity auction for the LAST rides on it. (Has any park ever done anything like that?)

Anyone considered the fact that the SOB crew hasn't been running the coaster for over a month? And why would they move the crew back to SOB for less than a month of operations? Just something to keep in mind.

I agree that unless they decide to invest in a major overhaul (redesign, complete retrack, etc) Son of Beast has had it's last ride. The fact of the matter is, how many "second chances" has it gotten under Cedar Fair management? I'm sure it left a bad taste in their mouth that their first real occurrence after purchasing the Paramount Parks was Son of Beast sending 27 people to the hospital... I mean, that was litterally the first thing they witnessed after buying them... Would you be excited to give the ride a fourth, fifth, or sixth chance? It does suck though, because I like the ride. And it's not like it's ever a walk-on. Ever. And without it, the skyline really would be only the Eiffel Tower, Drop Zone, and Diamondback... SoB really does make one of the most impressive amusement park skylines I've experienced, personally.

Well, if the ride has passed all the inspections but they have decided to get rid of it anyway, then I would re-open it for the rest of this season and use the closing as selling point. Get people to come to the park to take one last ride before it goes away forever. Figure out how many days the park has open and count down... "only 32 more days to ride the Son Of Beast" "Don't miss your chance to ride Son Of Beast before it's gone forever!" Take their lemon and try to squeeze some last bit of lemonaid out of it.

Edited by SSR1966

It would be nice if they would give people a chance to ride the Son Of Beast again if they are going to demo it! But I know for a fact CF doesn't always give you a chance! Look at the way they closed Geauga Lake we got no official warning! I went to he park the last day it was ever open and had season passes and there was no indictication about them closing the park and tearing it down and moving the rides ! Lets hope the fate of the Son of Beast is better!

I agree that unless they decide to invest in a major overhaul (redesign, complete retrack, etc) Son of Beast has had it's last ride. The fact of the matter is, how many "second chances" has it gotten under Cedar Fair management? I'm sure it left a bad taste in their mouth that their first real occurrence after purchasing the Paramount Parks was Son of Beast sending 27 people to the hospital... I mean, that was litterally the first thing they witnessed after buying them... Would you be excited to give the ride a fourth, fifth, or sixth chance? It does suck though, because I like the ride. And it's not like it's ever a walk-on. Ever. And without it, the skyline really would be only the Eiffel Tower, Drop Zone, and Diamondback... SoB really does make one of the most impressive amusement park skylines I've experienced, personally.

Umm, I've had walkons for Son of Beast plenty of times, especially when I rode this year. Also the second most recent time in 05. Which used to be the last time I rode... That was a walkon, and there have been a handful of other times with a walkon. The General Public DO find the ride rough, it's just others and some enthusiasts think it's worth it to bare through the pain for the smooth loop. Like I used to be, but now with no super-smooth-fast-forceful-loop. I just don't have the desire to ride. I got my last ride on it this year with my sister. I just didn't enjoy it. I only rode to say I rode with and without the loop. And I probably won't ride again, unless they do the major fix to the ride. And I do stress Major. But I've heard people complain how the loop really all the rage to bare through the rest of the ride (rose bowl *cough*)... It really was, at least to me anyways. I really loved that loop, it was massive and was and forever will be missed. Can't say as much for the ride, as some people hate it. Other moderately dislike it, some think it's okay.... and I think there may be someone who still loves the ride... I think.

You can also look at Dorney and Hercules. Another wooden coaster bites the dust. Maintance will kill this one I think. They have had way to many problems I think this could be it for SOB.

I just came from Kings Island and I noticed that the sign and the logo in the box have been removed. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/displayim...m=52&pos=24

It was the letters in the box, and the sign that is next to it. Both were gone, and only the sign saying it was closed was present.

This really convinced me that it is going bye-bye.

Wow, I'm shocked and scared. This is horrible news, I really hope it's for a name change or something and this doesn't mean it's being removed. I know every season that the letters are removed for CB but I don't think they remove the letters this early.

Edited by DropZone99

Wow I just love the "They removed the sign so they are tearing it down" excuse. They did this last year as well and guess what the ride made a return. In fact they ran the ride without the letters in the box.

They removed the sign so they could have a sign for club blood. No big deal really.

I created a Facebook page called save the Son of Beast, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109204891177. If anybody has a good picture of the Son of Beast, please send me a link to it because I have not been able to find a good picture to use for the profile pic for the group. Who ever sends me a link for a good picture of the Son of Beast, they will get a credit for it on the page.

Edited by PKIDelirium
Fixed broken link

Umm, I've had walkons for Son of Beast plenty of times, especially when I rode this year. Also the second most recent time in 05. Which used to be the last time I rode... That was a walkon, and there have been a handful of other times with a walkon.

I've done it twice this year, both times it had a line, the longer of the two stretching all the way down the ramp towards the Flight Deck bridge you pass under.

Now I've never had it that long. the longest I've had was when the line stopped where the line leaves the switch back section. I've never gone through those, and it's basically right under the turn into the station to be more precise.

This season almost every time I've ridden Son of Beast the line has been atleast 45 Minutes. And a few of the times I've ridden it this season it was over 2 Hours (Whole Queue and switchbacks filled.) The shortest I've seen it this season is the whole station filled which is still a 15 Minute wait usually. Last year the lines were about the same, and in 2007 (When open) the line was almost always a walkon the times I rode it. And back in the old days (pre-2007) the line was usually an hour each time I rode it.

it all depends on the day. that said, i have ridden it multiple times on days that were not in any way crowded and still have had to wait quite a while for son of beast. it is not a dead attraction people wise, that is for sure. Having a rough reputation does actually draw some people, you know...