TheSkipper

Son of Beast Closed for Rest of 2009- Maybe Forever

I hope they can fix the Son of Beast! I know that I would hate to see oit go! The past year in a half , I got to watch many of my favorite rides get torn down or sent to other parks when CF decided to close up Geauga Lake! Now when I drive by, theold park looks like a tornado ripped through it! The Son is not that old and with wood, I would think that they could work with it! I wonder if they try different trains, it might help with the wear and tear that is happening?

Today, it's on the endangered species list. But is there anyone else out there who feels like back when it had the old trains and loop it was like, yeah it's rough, but its amazing?! I mean truly, it was on every Travel Channel, Discovery Channel & Science Channel program they could fit it on (Extreme Rides, Amazing Marvels, Superstructures, World's Best, etc.) It was all worth it for the loop.

I know it's not an out and back and the layout is not spectacular, but you have to give the ride some credit for what it was: Ferocious! The whole thing felt so uncontrolled. I feel like Son of Beast was all the rage back when it had the loop and that people were silently "dealing" with the roughness in exchange for it. I know the lumber cracked and everything, but perhaps removing the loop should've been the last resort of last resorts? Look what it's done.

All I'm saying is, in my personal opinion if the ride still had the loop, there would be positive press around it (or admittedly after all the incidents - neutral press instead of scum-suckingly negative), and it would still be on all those shows where it belongs.

I know you all will think I'm making this up, but I truly here more complaints about the Beast than I do of Son of Beast... And in some ways, rightly so, I think. I mean, some enthusiasts think the Beast layout is genius, but it's truly a lot of flatness, three actual drops after the first hill, and with the trim breaks, there's a lot of "cruising" as opposed to the feeling of complete loss of control during the tunnels, etc.

Son of Beast is ravenous. It's fast, it's huge, you're always doing something, and you never loose that heart-attack feeling that big wooden coasters can give you as they hammer away at your body. It sounds violent, but it is, and that's kind of the point. Mangagement can't say that's the point. But it is. You don't build a ride that's what, 218+ feet, OUT OF WOOD and then say "Well this is going to be butter smooth!" If it's the tallest wooden roller coaster out there, that says something.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

Where else do you see a 200ft tall wooden wall? It's pretty impressive if you ask me.

well they did it weird. why did they have to make a little drop then turn and then go down? why couldnt they turn on the ground and save so much money

Lots of wooden roller coasters do that. Colossos. El Toro... It's a very typical way to gain speed and turnaround for the drop. It reduces stress on the lift hill to not have half the car pulling down the main drop while half is still being hoisted up.

Heres what i do not understand.... The Legend and Raven both have the turn arounds, but the voyages does not.... anyone know why?

Heres what i do not understand.... The Legend and Raven both have the turn arounds, but the voyages does not.... anyone know why?

If I had to guess... less vertical structure. Not to mention, HW wanted a coaster that was generally an out & back layout. I say generally because rather than having a "meh" turnaround that's up in the air, they stuck close to the ground and even had some banking at 90°.

The thing that gets me about RCCA, despite its bad techniques, is the fact Paramount was kind of stuck with them. From what I've read (I'd like to think I'm right on this), no one else would even attempt to build what KI wanted in what SOB was to become. Most of the better wooden coaster companies dwelling at the time wouldn't even think of attempting anything like it, not because of the size, but the fact it was that size and had a loop. They had the sense of estimating what was to occur in the long term, which KI kind of ignored. As great as it was with the loop, the trains designed for the loop doomed it, and thus, the rest of the ride as the track wasn't really supposed to accomidate the smaller, lighter trains it currently uses. Say it had different trains and a different layout (including no loop from the beginning), but yet, kept the same stats elsewhere (height, speed, length). We might not be having this conversation right now because it would have been done right.

I like the ride, but I do not like to ride it. I will ride it once or twice a year, just to see how it is running. Usually, I ride in the front where I believe is smoothest.

It is very impressive to look at, but in all honesty i see them removing it before they let it just sit there.

What more can CF do to make the ride better as it is right now? I think they have exhausted all possibilities to make the ride work without having issues come up every year that cause it to be closed and inspected.

Let's just face it - the ride is doomed and will be removed in the near future. The writing's on the wall. If the coaster passed state inspection yet they decide to keep it closed for the rest of the season, possibly longer even, then it appears CF has already made their decision. Yes, it is an imposing and beautiful structure but so is Mean Streak, which is crap compared to how it ran the first couple of years, and is deservedly needing to be removed.

BTW, Villain wasn't that old either and it was unnecessarily scrapped. That ride could have been a nice addition to a smaller park elsewhere.

IF the park is not planning on re-opening SOB...and since the ride has been cleared to run anyway, wouldn't it be interesting if they had a charity auction for the LAST rides on it. (Has any park ever done anything like that?)

Anyone considered the fact that the SOB crew hasn't been running the coaster for over a month? And why would they move the crew back to SOB for less than a month of operations? Just something to keep in mind.

I agree that unless they decide to invest in a major overhaul (redesign, complete retrack, etc) Son of Beast has had it's last ride. The fact of the matter is, how many "second chances" has it gotten under Cedar Fair management? I'm sure it left a bad taste in their mouth that their first real occurrence after purchasing the Paramount Parks was Son of Beast sending 27 people to the hospital... I mean, that was litterally the first thing they witnessed after buying them... Would you be excited to give the ride a fourth, fifth, or sixth chance? It does suck though, because I like the ride. And it's not like it's ever a walk-on. Ever. And without it, the skyline really would be only the Eiffel Tower, Drop Zone, and Diamondback... SoB really does make one of the most impressive amusement park skylines I've experienced, personally.

Well, if the ride has passed all the inspections but they have decided to get rid of it anyway, then I would re-open it for the rest of this season and use the closing as selling point. Get people to come to the park to take one last ride before it goes away forever. Figure out how many days the park has open and count down... "only 32 more days to ride the Son Of Beast" "Don't miss your chance to ride Son Of Beast before it's gone forever!" Take their lemon and try to squeeze some last bit of lemonaid out of it.

Edited by SSR1966

It would be nice if they would give people a chance to ride the Son Of Beast again if they are going to demo it! But I know for a fact CF doesn't always give you a chance! Look at the way they closed Geauga Lake we got no official warning! I went to he park the last day it was ever open and had season passes and there was no indictication about them closing the park and tearing it down and moving the rides ! Lets hope the fate of the Son of Beast is better!

I agree that unless they decide to invest in a major overhaul (redesign, complete retrack, etc) Son of Beast has had it's last ride. The fact of the matter is, how many "second chances" has it gotten under Cedar Fair management? I'm sure it left a bad taste in their mouth that their first real occurrence after purchasing the Paramount Parks was Son of Beast sending 27 people to the hospital... I mean, that was litterally the first thing they witnessed after buying them... Would you be excited to give the ride a fourth, fifth, or sixth chance? It does suck though, because I like the ride. And it's not like it's ever a walk-on. Ever. And without it, the skyline really would be only the Eiffel Tower, Drop Zone, and Diamondback... SoB really does make one of the most impressive amusement park skylines I've experienced, personally.

Umm, I've had walkons for Son of Beast plenty of times, especially when I rode this year. Also the second most recent time in 05. Which used to be the last time I rode... That was a walkon, and there have been a handful of other times with a walkon. The General Public DO find the ride rough, it's just others and some enthusiasts think it's worth it to bare through the pain for the smooth loop. Like I used to be, but now with no super-smooth-fast-forceful-loop. I just don't have the desire to ride. I got my last ride on it this year with my sister. I just didn't enjoy it. I only rode to say I rode with and without the loop. And I probably won't ride again, unless they do the major fix to the ride. And I do stress Major. But I've heard people complain how the loop really all the rage to bare through the rest of the ride (rose bowl *cough*)... It really was, at least to me anyways. I really loved that loop, it was massive and was and forever will be missed. Can't say as much for the ride, as some people hate it. Other moderately dislike it, some think it's okay.... and I think there may be someone who still loves the ride... I think.

You can also look at Dorney and Hercules. Another wooden coaster bites the dust. Maintance will kill this one I think. They have had way to many problems I think this could be it for SOB.

I just came from Kings Island and I noticed that the sign and the logo in the box have been removed. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/displayim...m=52&pos=24

It was the letters in the box, and the sign that is next to it. Both were gone, and only the sign saying it was closed was present.

This really convinced me that it is going bye-bye.

Wow, I'm shocked and scared. This is horrible news, I really hope it's for a name change or something and this doesn't mean it's being removed. I know every season that the letters are removed for CB but I don't think they remove the letters this early.

Edited by DropZone99

Wow I just love the "They removed the sign so they are tearing it down" excuse. They did this last year as well and guess what the ride made a return. In fact they ran the ride without the letters in the box.

They removed the sign so they could have a sign for club blood. No big deal really.