TheSkipper

Son of Beast Closed for Rest of 2009- Maybe Forever

^Unless I'm mistaken, Kings Island is able to reopen the ride now (after a quick inspection I think). However, they've decided to post-pone it's reopening till 2010, if not later (or never). Why is this? Two possibilities:

1. They're modifying the ride, rather the full attraction or just segments of it. This could mean replacing painful elements (rosebowl), or retracking sections, or something else.

2. Son of Beast is done for and will be removed soon.

Maybe if they keep it closed for the rest of the season and work on it, they could get it opened back up in time for its 10th Anniversary next year. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that this is what I am hoping they will do.

I really hope this means they're going to revamp the worst parts of the ride. REALLY REALLY REALLY. Especially the rosebowl. Granted, I've not been the ride's biggest fan pretty much ever, but if they'd do anything- and I really mean anything- to that part of the ride, it would hold a pretty good chance of going up quite a bit on my favorite ride list. I personally wouldn't mind some twister-like elements, especially, where the ride could hug the terrain and go through some tunnels. Or, heck, airtime wouldn't hurt too bad either (with pun intended... and yet also not).

If it's getting torn down... well, here's hoping they replace it with something amazing, whether steel or wooden.

^In my honest opinion, a complete retracking would not be enough. Even if the ride was butter-smooth, it still wouldn't be that great- it has a relatively boring layout, the only exciting part being the drop. Everything else is gradual turns and helixes...

However, if they replaced the rose-bowl and a few of the final turns with some nice airtime hills, courtesy of Intamin, Son of Beast may become my favorite ride :)

^And a few tunnels- I love the number of underground drops on Voyage, and the tunnels on The Beast make the ride much better. I'd love to see some tunnels, maybe even a dip or two underground, added to Son of Beast. It'd be much more exciting.

To be honest, I can't see the park pouring any more money into the ride. The chain is in enough debt right now as it is, and KI just got a huge investment in DB this year. I can't see them dumping a huge amount of money into it to "repair" the ride after putting in a $25-million B&M hyper. Besides, the speed and forces on the ride will still make it rough no matter what. The dynamics of the ride will just tear up the track again and again, no matter how many times they retrack it. Remember, many of the other giant woodies have had tracking issues at some point or another - Mean Streak tore itself apart, leading to the trim on the first drop; Voyage was having some track issues, leading to the MCBR to slow the trains more than in its first season (though I have heard they have found a way around it now). SoB is bigger and faster than both of those rides, and was built by a less-experienced company. I have a feeling no one may ever ride the Son again.

It seems Klocke's two-step process has begun. Next step is to dial 1-800-GOT-JUNK.

It's a shame, because I personally feel that the ride DOES have potential. That first drop is amazing. The speed and force behind it really are unparalleled by any ride experience in the world. Here's hoping they have something planned - at best rebuilding the rosebowl into an out-and-back, at least retracking the ride from start to finish. And can anyone say looop?!?! Hahaha maybe when pigs fly. I just want the old SOB back. :\

^Unless I'm mistaken, Kings Island is able to reopen the ride now (after a quick inspection I think). However, they've decided to post-pone it's reopening till 2010, if not later (or never). Why is this? Two possibilities:

1. They're modifying the ride, rather the full attraction or just segments of it. This could mean replacing painful elements (rosebowl), or retracking sections, or something else.

2. Son of Beast is done for and will be removed soon.

Maybe the ride isn't profitable? :huh: Maybe between going over budget to begin with by an extreme amount, injuring dozens of people, payouts for settlements, maintenence, the poor design, and the ride being a piece of garbage in general they decided it just isn't worth it.

As far in debt Cedar Fair is, they can't afford to sink that much money into maintaining a world record - especially when their flagship park is just 3.5 hours up the road.

TAER IT DOWN!

sobtear.jpg

That is sad news for Son of Beast! I don't know what is happening with the woodies! I know there are many rumors floating about the Mean Streak up here too! Maybe the Woodies are getting too large and they are tearing themselves apart! I hope they figure out what to do with the Son of Beast. I would hate to see it go down!

Well there are still a few big woodies that are fine, so someone is doing it right. i.e. Colossus, Voyage, El Toro, T-Express... Seems that Intamin and The Gravity Group have good designs and hire the right people to build the rides.

I think EVERYONE, fans and the GP would be extremely supportive of Intamin coming in and redeveloping everything after the second hill. That's the way to go if you're looking to keep the records and please... welll.. just about everyone. Maybe they could even through the loop back in there. (:

Oh, well there we go! :rolleyes: I think the nice 15 year old girl / 85 year old lady behind the Kings Island call center probably isn't in on what the head honchos are planning to discuss this winter. We'll have to wait and see for official news from the park.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I just called the park, and they said they're not tearing it down.

Unless you talked to the VP, I doubt the person you talked to even knows about the news release that came out. Might as well be a Dippin' Dots guy telling you...

you know i had the weridest dream last night about SoB and that they reopened it and it was smooth. crazy huh? but it was so fantastic in my dream. in all honesty, i just hope they dont tear it down. thats really all i can say.