Sign in to follow this  
TombraiderTy

Walt Disney World PTR

My family has visited Florida annually as long as I can remember, spending a week or two in Daytona Beach with 30+ other relatives. Since the hotel we normally stayed at was closed and demolished back in about 2005, my family has replaced the family reunions with week-long stays at Walt Disney World while a few of the remaining relatives tried to continue the family gathering tradition without much success. After a several-year hiatus, we finally managed to return to Daytona Beach this year, where we spent a week with the majority of our relatives. We also combined a half-week at Walt Disney World with just our family.

Of course, pictures of chilling on the beach and what-not aren't too exciting, so I'll only be posting about the half-week at Walt Disney World, along with one-day during the Daytona Beach week when half of our group visited Disney's Hollywood Studios for a day.

Let's see, anything else to highlight... Disney allows POVs on the slower-moving attractions, so the ones included in this PTR were not breaking any park rules.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Since my family would be going the next week, they didn't join in when thirteen other relatives (five adults, eight teenagers) visited Disney's Hollywood Studios for a day. Having days left-over on an old Disney ticket, however, I decided to tag along. We left at about 7AM, drove around two-hours to Walt Disney World, then arrived at the park close to 9AM.

img8030p.jpg

Park entrance, built to resemble some of the past-architecture in Hollywood.

We waited at the turnstiles for a few minutes before they opened, then sprinted down Hollywood Boulevard to the rope-drop area.

img8032w.jpg

A look down Hollywood Boulevard at Sorceror Mickey's hat. We squeezed through the crowd until we got to an empty spot closer to the rope, allowing us to quickly run to a second section of the park, Hollywood Boulevard, when the ropes dropped.

img8035.jpg

If you want to have a good day at a Disney park and ride all the major attractions with little or no wait, arrive early. The park hadn't even opened yet and Hollywood Boulevard was filled with people.

At last, the rope dropped and all nine teenagers and a few of the adults ran towards the hat, made a right onto Sunset Boulevard, then ran to the first ride of the day, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith.

img8036c.jpg

The attraction is comparable to Kings Island's Flight of Fear- Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is an indoor launched roller coaster themed to the band Aerosmith. The story is that you're trying to get to an Aerosmith concert via a super-stretch limo, dodging traffic and passing several major Hollywood attractions on the way. The coaster train is themed to a limousine and includes several dozen speakers, blaring out Aerosmith music through-out the ride. The themeing on the ride is less-than-extraordinary, however- most of it is black-light-lit cut-outs the train speeds through and around. However, this is a step ahead of the near-darkness on Flight of Fear...

The ride goes from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds, faster than Flight of Fear's 0 to 54 mph in 4 seconds. The trains, although over-the-shoulder-restraints, are roomier and much more padded than Flight of Fear's. Although the ride is a tad rough, the cushioning prevents most pain or headaches.

Although Rock 'n' Roller Coaster's themeing and trains are better than Flight of Fear's, Flight of Fear is a more exciting ride. After the three inversions on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, the train just swoops around a few curves and enters the brake-run. With Flight of Fear, riders are thrown for one last thrill- a corkscrew- before the brake-run. Flight of Fear also seems more intense and exciting than Rock 'n' Roller Coaster with a more unpredictable layout.

We all rode Rock 'n' Roller Coaster with a 10 minute wait (I rode car one, row two) before walking over to the neighboring Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

img8043o.jpg

The storyline behind this attraction is that The Hollywood Tower Hotel was an extraordinary hotel from the time it opened in 1917 through the 1930's. However, on October 31, 1939, lightning struck the tower as five individuals ascended upwards in one of the elevators. The elevator and guests vanished without a trace, forcing the hotel to be immediately shut-down (And just to share, the five people were a husband, wife, their child, her nanny, and a hotel bellhop carrying their luggage).

img8042s.jpg

As if it was a real hotel, the queue line meanders through the hotel's gardens, directing guests to non-existent hotel areas.

img8047.jpg

The hotel's initials, HTH, are also displayed around the attraction.

img8049t.jpg

Having been so long, the hotel's gardens are now overgrown. The vines you see crawling up the columns aren't actually real though, but instead concrete.

img8050t.jpg

1917 A.D., the date the hotel supposedly opened.

img8052i.jpg

The queue enters into the hotel lobby, covered in cobwebs and dust. The attention to detail is phenomenal, and the placement of items make it appear as though the hotel was suddenly abandoned after the incident, leaving no time for guests to collect their belongings.

Following the queue through the gardens and lobby, you enter into the hotel library. Lightning is heard outside a window, sending the room into darkness and bringing a vintage TV back to life. Rod Serling, the host of The Twilight Zone series, introduces you to the hotel and the story behind its closure. After the quick preshow, a hidden door opens, leading guests into the hotel's boiler room. This is the final part of the queue, and very-well themed. It's also where you enter one of four "maintenance elevators". You take a seat inside one and buckle your seat-belt- no over-the-shoulder-restraint like on most free-fall attractions. The elevator doors close and you begin your ascent up the shaft.

The elevator stops and the doors open shortly afterwards, revealing a long hallway. Hotel room doors are on either side, and a window is at the end of the hallway. A moment later, five ghostly figures begin to appear in the center of the hallway- the five people who disappeared seventy-years ago. Adding to the creepiness is the little girl, one of the five people, singing "It's Raining, It's Pouring", her voice echoing down the hall. The figures quickly disappear right afterwards and the room fades into darkness. Stars appear where the hallway once was and the window formerly at the hallway's end begins to float forwards. It transforms into a black-and-white window and shatters without any explanation on how any of the effects were just done.

800px-ToT_PeppersGhost.jpg

Not my own photo, but shows a part of the very-cool scene. This effect, along with the others, is easily accomplished with simple tricks. The ghosts aren't anything special, but instead

reflections on a panel of glass- the bottom of the glass is the diagonal line on the floor

The elevator doors shut after the window shatters and the riders continue upwards. The doors open again, but this time the elevator does something unusual and leaves the shaft. This is the "5th dimension", and includes several different effects and props. I'm personally not impressed with this section of the ride and see plenty of room for improvement.

The most exciting part of the attraction follows- the free-fall sequence. The elevator shoots upwards and downwards (it doesn't free-fall, but is instead pulled-down, meaning it goes faster than gravity). A few simple effects are in the long elevator shaft, as well as a set of elevator doors that open up and provide a fantastic view of Disney's Hollywood Studios. Guests on Sunset Boulevard can look up at the tower and see riders when the doors open, a neat touch. The most exciting part of the free-fall sequence isn't the view, the effects, or even the faster-than-gravity part, but that the drop sequence is all random. You don't have a clue when you're gonna drop or shoot upwards, it's supposedly different every time.

Guests are unloaded off the ride once the free-fall stops and the elevator moves up to an exit door. From here, they're able to view a photo of them taken on the ride.

img8056f.jpg

Beneath the pictures is some more great themeing and detail.

Just wanted to bring up a point here... :)

I asked my cousin, who'd you classify as a member of the general public, which he liked better- Drop Tower at Kings Island or Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios. He admitted he liked the drop better on Drop Tower, since it was longer, but he liked Tower of Terror better overall because it told a story. It is perfectly possible for any seasonal amusement park to have rides that are themed and tell stories, even if not as expensive or grand as the Disney attractions.

Next up, Toy Story Midway Mania. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

While we rode Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, two of the adults who weren't fans of thrill rides headed over to Pixar Place to get FastPasses for Toy Story Midway Mania, one of the newer attractions at the park, for later in the day. We headed over there to meet up with them and wait in the regular line to ride.

img8059m.jpg

Bad photo, but it was snapped while I was walking.

img8060p.jpg

The area is designed to make you feel shrunk-down, as if you are the size of Buzz and Woody.

img8085g.jpg

Notice the letters spell "You've Got a Friend in Me", and the Green Army Man is holding the Scrabble E over the E in "Dept.".

img8087f.jpg

However, what we were here for...

img8062isl.jpg

The queue for Toy Story Midway Mania is very fun, featuring several dozen over-sized toys and games.

img8063.jpg

Notice this detail- some crayons are more worn than others, just like in real life if a child used them.

img8067c.jpg

Even the ceiling is themed, this time as a giant Scrabble board.

img8068o.jpg

Also in the queue are some of Andy's drawings.

img8069.jpg

And like a real kid, some words are misspelled, some letters are backwards, ect.

img8071u.jpg

The only animatronic in the queue or the ride, Mr. Potato Head is rumored to have cost $1-million. He is very entertaining and moved like a real person- er, talking potato?- would.

img8072c.jpg

The wait was only about 20 minutes (the wait time in the pic of the ride's sign was after we got off)

img8074j.jpg

One wall was supposedly a large sheet of paper where Andy had done hand and finger painting. Notice the fish's body is the shape of a hand.

img8080p.jpg

The station itself is underneath a big Tinker Toy structure draped in Christmas lights.

img8081z.jpg

Hidden Mickey.

Toy Story Midway Mania is like any shooting dark ride (Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle, ect.) except up one level. There is no need for any physical sets because everything takes place on screens. Wearing a pair of 3D glasses, you shoot darts/pies/rings/whatever at balloons/targets/aliens/whatever, tallying up points. Several targets react, resulting in a spray of water or a blast of air. I wonder how long until this technology is incorporated at seasonal amusement parks...

img8082.jpg

One last detail, instead of "Cast Members Only", the no-entry doors are labeled as "Andy's Toys Only".

Next up- Studio Backlot Tour. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for the great pics so far! Looks like a pretty fun place. Did you think it was worth the money as far as the overall experience?

As much as I love theme parks, I don't have that great a desire to come here, IF I'm only there to ride coasters. Otherwise I hope you had fun!

If you only visit for the coasters, you will be disappointed. If you just visit, just to have fun, then you'll no-doubt have an extraordinary time.

Thanks for the great pics so far! Looks like a pretty fun place. Did you think it was worth the money as far as the overall experience?

I don't pay for almost any of it- my parents do :P

But my parents obviously think it's worth it; they're season-pass holders and visit several times each year- without their kids. A lot of people just think Disney is for kids, but there are things there for everyone.

Sorry, but I can't imagine a single person in their right mind who would chose Kings Island when offered two days at Kings Island or two in Disney World. Heck, if someone said I could have 30 days in Kings Island or 3 days in Disney World, I'd take the three in Disney World.

I can't see anyone saying they like Drop Zone more than Tower of Terror. Yes, it's apples and oranges... But it's also about a $500,000,000 difference. That's saying something. Hahha. Great photos though. What a spectacular place. Truly. And calling Rockin' Roller Coaster "comparable to Kings Island's Flight of Fear" is like calling Paris' Eiffel Tower about the same experience as Kings Island's. Same idea, WAY different experience. (:

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I really need to get back to WDW. Last time I was there was probably over 10 years ago - when I wasn't into theme parks and rides at all. Hell, I remember freaking out on the Great Movie Ride when a drop of water fell on me. Needless to say, my parents were embarrassed. :lol: :lol:

Ty,

Now I know why you haven't been posting much lately!

I'm glad you got to go back to WDW...I know how much you like it. Reading your report reminds me just how much you pay attention to details...do you even have any fun? :lol: (It makes me wonder if you have a little "Rainman" in you.) I have now been to WDW twice and I swear I missed quite a bit of the little theming nuances that you mentioned.

I am surprised that your groups first ride of the day was Rock 'n' Roller Coaster...I was not that impressed with it...like you said, when you are on the ride the signs and the darkness are better than FOF...but I prefer the actual ride of FOF.

I REALLY like Toy Story Midway Mania...when I went during the slow period in January it was still tough to get in it. I went about right at rope drop and went straight to get fast passes, (because I was the "collector") the first batch I got was about 1 and a half hour wait...then I killed some time before I could get the next batch so that my Nephew could ride it twice...my second batch was for about 6:30 at night! (By a little afternoon all the fast passes were gone.)

I hope you keep the TR coming...I am enjoying it!

See ya,

J.D.

I can't see anyone saying they like Drop Zone more than Tower of Terror. Yes, it's apples and oranges... But it's also about a $500,000,000 difference.

$500,000,000 difference? A quick Google search says Disney's Hollywood Studios Tower of Terror only cost $140,000,000, while Kings Island's Drop Tower cost $10,000,000.

Ty,

Reading your report reminds me just how much you pay attention to details...do you even have any fun? :lol:

I REALLY like Toy Story Midway Mania...when I went during the slow period in January it was still tough to get in it. I went about right at rope drop and went straight to get fast passes, (because I was the "collector") the first batch I got was about 1 and a half hour wait...then I killed some time before I could get the next batch so that my Nephew could ride it twice...my second batch was for about 6:30 at night! (By a little afternoon all the fast passes were gone.)

Of course I had fun :lol:

And I too love Toy Story Midway Mania. If you think about it, the technology already exists all over the world- in arcade games. Go into any Kings Island arcade, and there's probably a shooting game where you aim the gun at the screen and fire- Toy Story Midway Mania is practically the same thing. The only difference is that the technology was incorporated onto a ride in Florida- now how soon until the same is done elsewhere? :)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Right after Toy Story Midway Mania, we went across the pathway to a character meet-and-greet location. A location designed just to meet characters is a great idea- Kings Island used to do this with the Putz HQ structure, but now you just find characters wandering around the entrance, Nickelodeon Universe, and sometimes the Fethaus. Anyway...

img8091tpy.jpg

Home Improvement ftw

img8092z.jpg

So the meet-and-greet's line wandered through different Toy Story scenes- here's Sid's room. You can get an idea of his personality by the dart-board and the several locks on his door.

img8095l.jpg

Seen from inside the character meet-and-greet, the wait time for Toy Story Midway Mania had jumped 20 minutes since we rode it.

img8097l.jpg

All the fictitious toys had to have their packages designed, but I think the end result pays off.

img8098j.jpg

And at last, we met Buzz and Woody! Here's all the teenagers in our group. Yikes I need a haircut...

img8101t.jpg

Funny prop outside the attraction.

img8102.jpg

Luxo Jr., the desk-lamp from the start of all Pixar films, is supposed to appear here. Based off YouTube videos of the animatronic, it is very cool, but I didn't see it at all during my time at the park :(

After the meet-and-greet, we went to the nearby Studio Backlot Tour.

img8103l.jpg

It's one of the original two rides at Disney's Hollywood Studios (the other being The Great Movie Ride), and it's past its time for an update.

img8110w.jpg

So you start with this preshow, standing up and watching as volunteers participate in a movie scene.

img8118w.jpg

So there's some blasts of water...

img8119l.jpg

...And some cool fire effects.

img8124t.jpg

After the preshow, you board a tram and begin the ride-part of the attraction.

img8127d.jpg

You pass various movie props, such as this plane from Pearl Harbor (I think). This is one of my favorite shots from the trip.

img8134v.jpg

Then the most exciting part, "Catastrophe Canyon". Bad pics, but none-the-less, fire.

img8136x.jpg

And a lot of water.

img8137m.jpg

And more water.

img8138i.jpg

The plane that Walt Disney scouted out the land for Walt Disney World from.

img8142g.jpg

You end by getting off the tram and walk through a few small exhibits on Disney villains. Here's the organ from Pirates of the Caribbean and the Curse of the Black Pearl- and the lighting was seriously that blue.

img8143e.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Studios was originally a working movie studio- here are some of the sets available for use.

img8146g.jpg

Details :D

img8148h.jpg

One of my favorite things, a store window advertising Disney Cruise Line. Lot of detail here, including the chocolates they lay on your pillow every afternoon, seen at the bottom of the window. The light and clock on the table are also found in every stateroom on the cruise.

Next up, Star Tours and Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Okay, then its a $130,000,000 difference. :rolleyes: (Enough to buy six Diamondbacks! That's a lot of difference)... I was trying to make a point that Tower of Terror is more likely to be a fan favorite than a random drop ride. I'm not even a Disney-aholic. But asking anyone who's ever been, I can't imagine many would favor a big outdoor tower to one of the most well-themed dark rides / one of the most thrilling drop rides on the planet. Still, great trip report.Looking forward to more.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

You mentioned Toy Mania's Meet & Greet line...that is another thing I liked there...there were just SO many photo ops available before you even got to Buzz & Woody! (The only slight flaw was that the room/hall needed to be a little wider in order to get a really good shot sometimes...I thought it made the wait time go by pretty quickly.)

Your Pirates blue organ shot is great! :)

The Great Movie Ride...uhhhh...you FINALLY mentioned a ride worse than The Crypt. :rolleyes:

You mentioned Toy Mania's Meet & Greet line...that is another thing I liked there...there were just SO many photo ops available before you even got to Buzz & Woody! (The only slight flaw was that the room/hall needed to be a little wider in order to get a really good shot sometimes...I thought it made the wait time go by pretty quickly.)

I forgot to mention that- if I remember correctly, there were four different photo-ops in just the queue to meet Buzz and Woody. They were all simple cut-outs, but they still provided good photo opportunities.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

img8151r.jpg

Star Tours... yet another ride that needs updated (but rumor has it that it soon will be!)

img8152k.jpg

120789, a reference to December 7, 1989- the day the park opened.

img8153l.jpg

Star Tours supposedly takes place in a movie set (you being the stars), giving reason for this cast member information to be posted here.

img8159u.jpg

The queue is nice for the ride.

Now the ride itself...

Star Tours is your regular simulator attraction. The video is outdated and in need of a serious update, as are the effects. 10 minute wait wasn't too bad though.

With time to spare, we walked over to Animation Courtyard to go into The Magic of Disney Animation building. Inside, we took a 20-minute class on how to draw Donald Duck :lol: Following this, we crossed the park over to Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show.

img8188.jpg

The sign.

img8189s.jpg

Here's the seating.

img8187.jpg

Another view of the airplane that Walt Disney scouted the Walt Disney World property from, seen from the back of the stands.

img8163u.jpg

The stage for the show

img8167o.jpg

Random clothesline detail.

img8170g.jpg

So the show itself- it has cars.

img8177r.jpg

And motorcycles.

img8181rnj.jpg

And everybody's favorite, fire.

img8186w.jpg

Grand finale!

The show is very good and has some great stunts. There are the parts where it's less-than-interesting, but all the action quickly makes up for that.

Next up is The (Not So) Great Movie Ride and Dinner! :)

Comments welcome and appreciated.

^Your "Grand Finale" shot turned out really good!

I did not get to see this show when I was there due to rain so it's nice to see photos of it.

By the way...since you are "Mr. Details", I had a couple of questions about Walt's plane... I assume it did not look like that when he was using it...right? Also, was it like a company plane for years after Walt's death?

The pressure's on! :P

By the way...since you are "Mr. Details", I had a couple of questions about Walt's plane... I assume it did not look like that when he was using it...right? Also, was it like a company plane for years after Walt's death?

The pressure's on! :P

I'm not gonna pretend to be some genius on the subject- everything I know about it I learned from the pre-recorded spiel on the tram :lol:

I know it did not look exactly like that- it says "Walt Disney World" on it, and the property wasn't renamed that from just Disney World until after Walt's passing.

And it was continually used past Walt's death. I believe the spiel said it was retired in the 1990s, making it's long life a record as the most-used executive airplane or something.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

img8190w.jpg

So the (current) icon of the park is this big hat. Rumor has it that it may soon be on its way out, however.

img8191j.jpg

Behind the theater is the park's past icon- the Chinese Theater. Here's some of the detail on it.

img8193r.jpg

Inside the theater is The (Not So) Great Movie Ride, one of the original two rides at the park. Here's the Mary Poppins scene from it, a bit blurry.

img8195r.jpg

Gangster Alley or something. The sets were nice, but most of the animatronics were poor quality, plus half the movies are unheard-of to riders my age.

img8197.jpg

The Wizard of Oz scene has the Wicked Witch of the East's feet sticking out from underneath the fallen house. Nice little detail. Nearby is her "Certificate of Death".

img8211c.jpg

We had reservations at the Prime Time Cafe, a fun restaurant that takes you back to the 1950s. Black-and-white TVs are in every room, continually playing vintage cartoons and TV shows, and even the opening of Disneyland (1955). The waitresses also treat everybody like kids- no elbows on the table, you must finish your vegetables before dessert, ect.

img8200r.jpg

I heard the shakes were fantastic, so I decided to try one. The options were chocolate, vanilla... and peanut-butter and jelly. Probably never having the chance to try that last one again, I decided to order a peanut-butter and jelly shake. The peanut-butter taste over-powered the jelly, making it taste like Reese's Pieces. If you concentrated, however, you could taste the jelly. Very good shake surprisingly.

img8204k.jpg

I got friend chicken, mash potatoes with gravy, and corn. The chicken was a tad bland, but the mash potatoes and corn were both very good, the corn the best.

The food wasn't the main attraction here, however. My two cousins, who are twins, were continually teased by the server. One tried hiding his remaining vegetables in his napkin and got away with it, receiving a "I Cleaned My Plate" sticker. After his brother "tattled" on him, however, the waitress made him stand with his nose against the wall and ripped the sticker off his shirt :lol: Prime Time Cafe is moderately priced (for Disney, at least) and plenty of fun- I'd recommend trying it if you ever visited.

img8213w.jpg

Outside Prime Time Cafe is an ice cream stand, shaped like a large dinosaur. In the 1940s, Hollywood architecture often included buildings in the shape of what they sold- a camera shop looked like a camera, ect. The dinosaur's name is Gertie, a reference to a 1914 animated short featuring Gertie the Dinosaur. Inside Gertie is an ice cream stand that originally sold hard-to-find ice cream flavors (Ice Cream of Extinction). It now only sells generic ice cream, however. Finally, one last detail, large footprints lead to the dinosaur, as if he walked over the pathway, into the grass, then finally settled into the small lake.

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular next.

Comments welcome and appreciated :)

Thanks for the next installment...it was a fun read! I will say, Igot drug "kicking and screaming" to The Prime Time Cafe...the whole idea of it sounded like a nightmare...you know what? It turned out to be THE highlight of my trip...our server was "Uncle Dale"...he was a riot...he would talk about how he hated dealing with the public and how he needed a beer just to put up with all these screaming brats! (But you could tell the guy really had a heart of gold.)

And once again you are better at details...I also had a PB&J milkshake and loved it...but I could not taste a hint of jelly.

I HIGHLY recommend the Prime Time Cafe if you go to WDW. :)

...you know what? It turned out to be THE highlight of my trip...our server was "Uncle Dale"...he was a riot...he would talk about how he hated dealing with the public and how he needed a beer just to put up with all these screaming brats! (But you could tell the guy really had a heart of gold.)

I HIGHLY recommend the Prime Time Cafe if you go to WDW. :)

Thanks for the comment, and thanks for sharing your experience there. We ate there a second time during our trip (coming later, if I do end up doing all the days in this PTR), and both were fun.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

img8220x.jpg

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular is a tad dated, but it's still an interesting and entertaining show.

img8221f.jpg

The queue for the show (cause people actually do line up for Disney shows up to 30 minutes before seating starts) was well themed. This crash plane had a skeleton trapped inside.

img8222r.jpg

Detail time :lol: So Disney's Hollywood Studios is divided into two sections- the Golden Age of Hollywood and the backlot area, where movies are supposedly created. There are differences between the two sections that define them, including the trash-cans. The ones in Hollywood say "Please keep our city clean", as if it was a real town. The one in the backlot area are more generic and simply say "Waste" on them. Lighting and fencing styles also change between the two areas.

img8225i.jpg

So it's a big set they use for the show- and this is only 1/3 of it. The first part of the show is in a temple, the second is in Cairo, and the third is at a military base. When the temple scene is done, they drag the whole temple away, revealing Cairo. When that scene is done, that's also pulled off stage, revealing the final area.

img8231w.jpg

Getting good pictures was incredibly hard with the low lighting....

img8237e.jpg

[insert suspenseful music here]

img8238n.jpg

The final scene, at the military base. I could've sworn something about that plane was less family-friendly in the movie... :rolleyes:

img8239e.jpg

Fire makes any ride or show better. Imagine Backlot Stunt Coaster without fire (actually, just ride Canada's Wonderland's version of it...).

img8242i.jpg

Imagine how boring this would look without the fire?

More coming up, comments appreciated.

I didn't make it to the Indiana Jones show...so thanks for the photos!

(And now, thanks to your handy garbage can tip I can tell where I am at just by looking at them...kinda like looking for what side of a tree the moss is on. :P )

(And now, thanks to your handy garbage can tip I can tell where I am at just by looking at them...kinda like looking for what side of a tree the moss is on. :P )

:lol: Thanks for the comment.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

img8248e.jpg

It was only the guys in our group watching Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, the girls had all gone off to see Beauty and the Beast. We walked over to Sunset Boulevard to meet up with them after our show was finished. Notice the trolley-shaped merchandise cart here, and the wires above it, as if it was a real working trolley.

img8251b.jpg

Zoom-up on The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

img8254i.jpg

Looks like a Florida storm is coming...

img8259m.jpg

We crossed the park to Pixar Place after meeting back up with the other half of our group.

img8261a.jpg

Details :D Notice the Popsicle sticks and how the ends are slightly colored- as if it really came from a Popsicle and that's the residue left-over.

img8262c.jpg

We rode with little wait thanks to Fastpass. Only 50% of Disney guests take advantage of the Fastpass system, while an even smaller percentage realize you don't have to come back during your assigned time, but can instead return to the attraction anytime after your initial time.

img8263s.jpg

Notice this sign is supposedly written on a scrap piece of paper and held to the wall with a staple.

img8264.jpg

A giant light-night.

By the time we left the ride (fun as always), it was pouring down rain. Not a drizzle or a few sprinkles, but pouring. Like, really wet. The teenage guys in our group, including myself, all ran through the train to Hollywood Boulevard to ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, which we had Fastpasses for. By the time we got there, we were drenched. My cousin and I rode in car two, row one, slightly drying off. Following this, we did The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which we had also acclaimed Fastpasses for. The rest of our group eventually caught up to us at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, by the way.

img8267f.jpg

Notice the cart, with beverages and the day's newspaper, all ready for hotel guests.

img8270y.jpg

There are several different lighting fixtures through-out The Hollywood Tower Hotel, adding onto the detail.

img8266.jpg

In the exit area, taken with flash to make it easier to read all the various papers. Nothing too interesting, however. Take note that the calendar is open to October- the accident happened on October 31, meaning nobody ever had time to flip the calendar.

img8274f.jpg

The park closed at 8PM, relatively early. As we headed out, I was able to find this small detail I had read about. It's a stamp in the sidewalk on Sunset Boulevard, supposedly the fictional company that laid the sidewalks. "Mortimer and Co." is a reference to what Walt Disney originally wanted to name Mickey- Mortimer Mouse. The year, 1928, is the year that Mickey was created.

img8279e.jpg

At the exit, after a great first day :)

Animal Kingdom coming soon (hopefully :rolleyes:)

Comments appreciated.

Edited by TombraiderTy

I also have to agree with pretty much everything in here on quality and such.

I LOVED the 50's diner as well. However when I was there I was around 14 or 15 (we are hoping to make a trip back down there soon because it is WELL overdue). When I left the table to go use the restroom the waiter said "Better make sure to wash your hands". After using the bathroom and getting back to the table my waiter checked my hands to make sure I had washed. He determined that I didn't do a good enough job and sent me back to do it again. Another cool thing to note was that the soap was the powdered soap they used to use back then. Not the liquid type we use now.

Ryan

Awesome report yeah I've rode Tower of Terror too when I went there was no line and it was the middle of june! I love that ride so fun I do want to admit I'm sad to see pixar taking over Disney.Don't get me wrong I like pixar movies but reallly Toy Story is my least favorite.I'm hoping WDW builds that Nightmare Before Christmas Attraction and I'm looking forward to the Little Mermaid attraction and The Beauty and The Beast attraction as well great report ty.

I LOVED the 50's diner as well. However when I was there I was around 14 or 15 (we are hoping to make a trip back down there soon because it is WELL overdue). When I left the table to go use the restroom the waiter said "Better make sure to wash your hands". After using the bathroom and getting back to the table my waiter checked my hands to make sure I had washed. He determined that I didn't do a good enough job and sent me back to do it again. Another cool thing to note was that the soap was the powdered soap they used to use back then. Not the liquid type we use now.

Thanks for sharing the story- our visit on that Wednesday was easily a highlight of my trip. The restaurant wouldn't be even half as good without the servers playing their parts.

great report ty.

Thanks for the comment.

Quick question. Is Dinosaur the Ride still there?

DINOSAUR (it's always spelled in all caps... not sure why...) is still at Disney's Animal Kingdom in all its glory, although it's underrated in my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments, the next part is hopefully coming soon.