Sign in to follow this  
xVekomax

what if KI became year round instead of seasonal?

i got to thinking one day, what if kings island opened up a section of the park that was intended for winter time only so the park could stay open year round? in that winter section they could have huge hills for sledding/snowboarding, a coffee/hot chocolate house, an ice skating rink, etc. i know this won't happen but i just thought it would be a neat idea so even though you may not be able to get your roller coaster/thrill ride fix you could still visit the park and have some fun on possibly the world's "tallest sledding hill" or something like that haha. :D

I don't know what precautions would need to be taken, but it is possible to run coasters during the winter. I know that Beech Bend runs the Kentucky Rumbler during their winter/Christmas celebration, and Dollywood is open well into the winter (though I don't know how cold it gets in Pigeon Forge...). It's also looking like Busch Gardens Europe might run Griffon during their Christmas event, as its clearly shown on the event's map. Again, I don't know what needs to be done to be able to run the rides in the winter, but some parks do do it.

When it comes to opening coasters in the winter... it can be done. I think i read on CP's blog, Tony said something like that it is do-able, they just have to run blank trains for a while so the track can "warm up" Even longer with below freezing and snowy. The wooden coasters would not open, because running trains when it is really cold can cause track damage.... and not to mention they are doing re-tracking and stuff during that time.

Didn't the park already have a winter event that closed because of the low attendance?

^Winterfest, started in 1982 and ran through 1993, then returned for one short year in 2005. However, I don't think the chances of Winterfest coming back are that high. The weather is more unpredictable, for starters, plus they have to set-up many of the decorations during Halloween Haunt, which can prove a difficult task.

More than worrying about the coasters being able to run, i would be worried about people slipping and falling on the paths and stairs, especially with how sloped the paths are.

Winterfest was awsome I miss it.Back when they started WF there wasn't any FearFest or Halloween Haunt so it was a lot easier for them to prepare and back then crowds were kinda high unlike 2005 WF...I think paramount made a mistake on how they handled it admission wise.

honestly, the biggest drawback for me when they did winterfest besides the price, was the fact that they had a huge section of park to walk with everything spread out, but yet they only had like 3 of those portable heaters to stand next to. the week we went, it was around 10-15 degrees and we were like ice cubes, and even though it wasnt crowded it was sure busy around the heaters...

While I'm sure Paramount charged WAYYY too much, etc., I hear the argument a LOT that Winterfest 05 was like, just this really incredibly bitter winter. Like was already said, it was 10 - 15 degrees each day. We all know that's not really typical of Ohio. And if Cedar Fair brought it back, I have the feeling there would be heat lamps EVERYWHERE. The last thing they want is someone passing out of cold or getting seriously hurt.

I know that its cool the parks stay open later now! Up here at the north coast of Ohio the summer seems to take longer to get started. I mean this year it is the middle of July and the weather has been beautiful but not hot! I went to CP on the closing weekend and it was still beautiful in November!