TombraiderTy

Disney Cast Member Killed After Monorail Crash

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2..._conductor.html

Quick summary.... Monorail crash at Walt Disney World at about 2AM this morning, left driver dead and a second cast member injured. No passengers were injured. The accident is still being investigated. The Monorail has since been shut-down.

And a photo, from ThemeParkReview.com:

monocrash2_168.jpg

Edited by TombraiderTy

Here's an eerie video for you. After the crash just outside the TTC station on the Epcot beam, the monorail pink pulled forward, dragging the disabled monorail purple into the station. They tried to get to the driver inside the cockpit but weren't able to until the rescue crews arrived, I'm guessing the door was jammed.

Video taken right after they stopped in the station: http://www.clickorlando.com/video/19956043/index.html

Here's an exhaustive article on the system, including detailed photos of the trains: http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/monorail.htm

According to Yahoo! the monorail is already being re-opened. They said they've tested it and its working fine so they're going to re-open this afternoon. Seems like its oftly soon to open it especially since they havn't said what caused the accident.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090706/ap_on_..._monorail_crash

Considering the Monorail is one of the biggest people movers around the parks I'm pretty sure it is in their best interest to get it opened up ASAP. Disney is one of the safest places to visit, and I would trust them in what they have to say more than I trust Cedar Fair. So, if they said they tested the system and there is nothing wrong with it than there isn't.

Ryan

It doesn't surprise me that they tried to get it reopened as fast as possible, but I was surprised they didn't release the explanation for how the crash occured before reopening it. Screamscape has posted the reason from the accident based on what they've compiled from multiple stories.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm

Despite the reports from guests who were nearby when it happened, it seems that WDW Monorail accident happened completely backwards from how it was first envisioned. It was really Monorail Pink that was moving backwards into the station at maximum reverse power, which collided into Monorail Purple which is now thought to have been stationary at the time. So yes... the death of the pilot was actually caused by Monorail Pink, but it wasn’t entirely that pilot’s fault either.

From the breakdown of several stories that have flooded by inbox in the last 12 hours or so, the blame all comes down from a major miscommunication between Central Monorail Control and the Monorail Shop while they were directing Monorail Pink through the procedure to take the switch beam from the Epcot line over to the Magic Kingdom expressway beam, before heading back to the shop for the night. The way it was explained to me is basic form is that Monorail Pink pulled forward out of the station, as if it were going to Epcot, and came to the stop somewhere just past the switch track. Here is where the communication problem comes up, as the Shop apparently controls the switch tracks and communicated something to the Central control booth (at the TTC) that the switch track has been moved. Central instructed Pink that they were clear to reverse onto the switch track, which instead struck right into Purple inside the station. However I’ve heard that no one from the platform crew was in the booth where one of them should have been during this kind of procedure, where they could visually check on things and could have called off Monorail Pink before it was too late.

The normal system that prevents accidents from happening (MAPO) was in an “overide” mode at the time, which is standard procedure any time monorails are switched from one beam to another. At this point in time the pilot of Monorail Pink was pretty much going on the word of the control tower that everything was normal. Even though they have rearview mirrors, the darkness in this area of the track combined with the curve of the beam itself were a big factor. In fact if you look at the aerial photo I’ve “borrowed” here to display the area of the accident, you can see that way the switch beam curves here alongside the main beam, it would be very difficult for the pilot to tell from “feel” that they had not switched to the right beam.

With the explanation that it was all a bad series of human errors that caused the accident, Disney was given permission to reopen the system late yesterday afternoon along with an updated procedure list of extra verifications required when moving monorails from one beam to another. Disney has also elected, for the time being, to suspend the practice of allowing park guests to ride up front with the pilots. Not so much for a safety reason, but out of respect for the pilots during this difficult time, so they aren’t swamped with non-stop questions about it from the guests.

Edited by Jstbcool

Thats unfortunate. I didn't even know Walt Disney World was still open that late. I'll pray for the driver's family. Thank god I went a few weeks earlier.

Thats unfortunate. I didn't even know Walt Disney World was still open that late. I'll pray for the driver's family. Thank god I went a few weeks earlier.

It was after 4th of July, the park's were open extra late. Plus, at least one park is usually opened extra-late for the Magic Hours, a special plus for staying at a hotel on Disney property.

No matter what way a parent loses their child it would be devastating...but can you imagine having that death tied to such a beloved place? You would be reminded of it whenever you saw a Disney movie or commercial, heard a song on the radio... or glanced at a product in a store while you were shopping. It's hard to NOT come in contact with something Disney related on a daily basis...I feel so sorry for the families involved.