Sign in to follow this  
Diamondback Dude

Do you think Kings Island should Close SOB?

Gravity Group has built some big coasters but if you notice with some of their most recent creations they have been steel structured. The type of material the structure used is a minute point but but other than the Intamin Plug-n-Plays I have yet to see anyone else try to build a ride the calibur of SOB using an all-wood structure.

What they could do, and might save a few bucks, is to have GCI or Gravity Group retrack the ride so that they can use articulated trains. Before anyone says that GCI will not sell Millennium Flyers for rides that they didn't design I do believe that they will as long as they are able to retrofit the track to their specifications for them to run. Using the articulated trains would make the transitions easier to travel through. The only problem is that the station would have to be altered to make the queues line up with the cars, not like what they did with the Beast.

Should SOB be closed? No but if the ride continues to be a problem with maintenance and continuing "lawsuits" from riders then I would say yes. Remember they tore down Dorney's Hercules which wasn't a small ride either so it wouldn't be the first time CF has removed a large wood coaster.

You mean Kosmac, and it doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is every season it seems there is a problem with this coaster. It is too big for a wooden coaster in the first place.

I'd say give it a Gemini make over. Put steel tracks and keep the structure and the ride the same. put the loop back in it at the same time. The name would be "SOB: The Return"

What does Brian Kosmac have to do with it? Vortex is my favorite coaster; does that mean it won't ever be removed? :lol:

I'd imagine the head of the rides department would have a say in it.

I would be surprised if the Rides Operations Manager has any say in it. The rides department runs the rides - doesn't purchase new ones. At most he would write the guidelines on how to operate a new ride. And did he take Jill Mohr's spot or is she still there? Brian is a cool guy - good to hear he got promoted.

You mean Kosmac, and it doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is every season it seems there is a problem with this coaster. It is too big for a wooden coaster in the first place.

I'd say give it a Gemini make over. Put steel tracks and keep the structure and the ride the same. put the loop back in it at the same time. The name would be "SOB: The Return"

What does Brian Kosmac have to do with it? Vortex is my favorite coaster; does that mean it won't ever be removed? :lol:

I'd imagine the head of the rides department would have a say in it.

I would be surprised if the Rides Operations Manager has any say in it. The rides department runs the rides - doesn't purchase new ones. At most he would write the guidelines on how to operate a new ride. And did he take Jill Mohr's spot or is she still there? Brian is a cool guy - good to hear he got promoted.

Jill is still there. And your a little late, he got promoted in 2007. :D

I would love Millennium Flyers on it, but even with the necessary retrofiting, I think they would have a difficult time making it through the course, and even be prone to stalling. Another thing they ought to do if they go on to adding new trains is try to stick 3 on. I think if you added a block section after the turn into the station, it could be done. The ride has suffered from slow lines because only two trains navigate the 3:00, 7,000 ft. + course. If they stick to two, they need to ditch the MCBR.

And, IF SOB is to be torn down, I won't settle for a GCI. I would try to get a coaster with the same attributes as the original SOB, but with some parts better designed and different all together. A GCI replacing such a dynamic coaster would be an insult to it IMO.

I think if you give them enough incentive, Intamin could easily pull of a wooden loop, and their latest woodies aren't far from hyper status.

I agree to that, even as much as I dislike SOB. I think a GCI would be insulting... I mean even to just look at... If they were to build something else, it'd need to be as amazing as the ride was when it first opened. I personally think retracking by GCI is the best way to go. I kinda like the idea of having add a few hills where the MCBR is... It's really long, and pointless with 2 trains.

Lol at the people being mad if SoB would be torn down.

The layout is boring. (Helix, Helix, Helix)

The ride is just to rough at times. I know wooden coasters are known to be rough, but SoB goes way beyond that.

The one element that was actually interesting for the ride is taken out.

I say strike the match and let the fire begin. There could easily be better rides that could fit in it's place.