Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Nik Wallenda to do high wire walk at KI August 16 - New Details!

http://www.cedarfair.com/nik_wallenda/

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/eve...08&ec_id=15

NIK WALLENDA HIGH WIRE WALK

August 16

FREE with Park Admission

Thirty-five years ago the late, great legendary high-wire acrobat Karl Wallenda set a world record at Kings Island. Last year, Rick Wallenda, grandson of Karl Wallenda, surpassed his grandfather’s famous feat with a world-record skywalk. This year another Wallenda high-wire walk will take place at Kings Island August 16, as Nic Wallenda, a grandson of Karl Wallenda, will take thrills and chills to new heights with a high-wire walk that will be more amazing than the two before!

The August 16 walk at Kings Island is part of the Nik Wallenda Walk Across America Tour this summer at Cedar Fair parks. http://www.cedarfair.com/nik_wallenda/

A seventh generation member of the world famous Wallenda family of daredevils, Nik has been walking the wire since he was just 4 years old. After his first professional walk at age 13, Wallenda has become renowned for his innovative feats of daring. Grandson of Karl Wallenda, founder of the The Flying Wallendas, Nik is known for performing his death-defying stunts without a safety net. He holds the Guinness Book of Records world record for longest and highest bicycle ride on a highwi

Updated July 21 - Press Release:

Legendary high-wire acrobat Nik Wallenda to take thrills and chills to new heights at Kings Island

Seventh-generation member of world-famous Wallenda family of daredevils to perform awe-inspiring, death-defying 262-foot high walk August 15

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – As a seventh-generation member of the world-famous Wallenda family of daredevils, Nik Wallenda is known for performing death-defying stunts.

On August 15 at Kings Island, Wallenda will push the limits of what his great-grandfather, Karl Wallenda, started more than 100 years ago with a spectacular high-wire walk on a cable about the diameter of a nickel suspended 262 feet in the air from the park’s front gate to the Eiffel Tower – a distance of more than 800 feet – with no safety nets or harnesses.

“I’m very excited about my walk at Kings Island,” Wallenda said. “This is going to be the highest walk I’ve ever done. I’ll be taller than the new Diamondback roller coaster!”

Wallenda has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records twice. His first record came in Kurashiki, Japan in 2001 when he was part of an eight-person pyramid. In October, 2008, he broke the record for the longest distance and greatest high-wire height ever traveled by bicycle, riding a distance of 150 feet 20 stories above the ground in Newark, New Jersey.

The 30-year-old Sarasota, Florida native will become the third member of the Wallenda family to perform at Kings Island (family patriarch Karl Wallenda was the first 35 years ago in 1974 and Rick Wallenda last year). His walk will be performed at a height that is three times higher than the previous Wallenda walks at Kings Island.

Wallenda’s history-making walk is scheduled for 7:00pm and included free with park admission.

The walk at Kings Island is part of the Nik Wallenda Walk Across America Tour this summer at Cedar Fair parks.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

VIDEO:

Edited by PKIDelirium

Another one? I'm surprised, but I'll hopefully be attending. I wonder where in the park they plan on doing it and how high it'll be? I also wonder if it'll be more than just a walk- it did mention his records with bicycles on high-wires.

^Ouch.

There seems to be unlimited areas and places inside Kings Island that a walk could be done. They may just do it over Royal Fountains again, but if they chose to be more unique, it could be over Coney Mall, over Diamondback splash-down, across Racer, ect. But if they wanted to go to the extreme, between the top of Eiffel Tower and top of Drop Tower :lol:

I know at World of Fun he spanned one of the midways. One end of the wire was attached partway up the Detonator S&S Tower, and the other end was on a crane. So he could really do it anywhere in the park.

^But you'd want a location where plenty of guests can stand around and watch. I mean, you could do it over The Beast's helix, but how many people would see that? The park will probably choose an area with a large pathway beneath or by it.

^That seems possible, and the pathway is plenty big enough. Remember, however, during the July 4 walk, any pathway directly beneath the wire was closed off. Guests may need to pass through, so there has to be some opening or covered area somewhere. With International Street, both behind Eiffel Tower and under International Restaurant were open.

.... between the top of Eiffel Tower and top of Drop Tower.

I know I said that this event wouldn't get me to the park...but THAT would...so if anyone from the park is reading this...

^:lol:

Well, several tightrope walks have been done over canyons and between buildings, so the height of the walk isn't an issue. Neither is distance- according to Google Earth, the two structures are only about 1,056 feet apart, or a bit more than half of what Rick Wallenda walked on his second performance at Kings Island last summer. It would be very possible, and realistic, to do. Kings Island, if you're reading this... ;)

From some of the websites, perhaps hinting at what the location of the walk may be...

Knott's Berry Farm

attempts to cross Calico Square 150 feet in the air acoss a tightrope, with no net.

California's Great America

...will complete a high wire walk above the rides at Great America...

Valleyfair

...attempt to walk a high wire 100 feet in the air ... will walk nearly 500 feet across the park with NO safety net or safety line

Canada's Wonderland

...will walk high above the rides at Canada's Wonderland

Cedar Point

...span the midway over Cedar Point.

Kings Dominion

...walks the entire length of International Street, high above the iconic fountains below.

Carowinds

...will complete a high wire walk above the rides at Carowinds

However, we still have to take a look at Kings Island's site for a couple of small clues:

to new heights with a high-wire walk that will be more amazing than the two before!

New heights- higher than before, more amazing than before- either longer, or the height, or maybe the location. It could also mean it's not being done on foot- it did mention he's a world record holder for crossing tightropes on bicycles.

Oh my... bicycling over a tightrope between Drop Tower and Eiffel Tower.... now THAT would be a show! :lol:

I'm wondering if they close the rides that he's going to walk across at some of the parks. If they close the walkways, I would think they would close the rides, although that might not sit well with guests, depending on how long the rides are closed.

From Kings Island's Twitter (twitter.com/kingsislandpr):

On Aug 15, Nik Wallenda will walk on a cable about the diameter of a nickel suspended 262 feet in the air a distance of more than 800 feet.

262 feet tall- only two attractions in the park reach that height or higher, Drop Tower (315-feet tall, ride vehicle drops from 264-feet) and Eiffel Tower (314-feet tall, features a 50-foot, 265-foot, and 275-foot observation platform). The distance between these two structures, however, (according to GoogleEarth) is about 1,056 feet- 250 feet more than the Twitter post claims. Assuming the wire is attached to one of these two structures, we could perhaps assume the other end is connected to a crane.

Thoughts?

Edited by TombraiderTy

Ty,

I would hope that your idea was a possibility...but why wouldn't the park be in full-on hype mode for such an incredible feat? (I still have my fingers crossed though.)

^Well, as stated above, the distance between Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower is about a 250-foot difference from the number stated in the Twitter post. I also may add that the park claimed Rick Wallenda walked 1,000 feet, while measuring it on Google Earth claims it's 845 feet, so the number the park claims for this walk may not be exact.

...so the number the park claims for this walk may not be exact.

I think that's a given. ;) I see no reason why the park would be vague if it were going to be from 2 of their most "famous" structures...that would be poor PR...but once again I hope you are on to something! :)

From Kings Island's Twitter (twitter.com/kingsislandpr):

On Aug 15, Nik Wallenda will walk on a cable about the diameter of a nickel suspended 262 feet in the air a distance of more than 800 feet.

262 feet tall- only two attractions in the park reach that height or higher, Drop Tower (315-feet tall, ride vehicle drops from 264-feet) and Eiffel Tower (314-feet tall, features a 50-foot, 265-foot, and 275-foot observation platform). The distance between these two structures, however, (according to GoogleEarth) is about 1,056 feet- 250 feet more than the Twitter post claims. Assuming the wire is attached to one of these two structures, we could perhaps assume the other end is connected to a crane.

Thoughts?

Ty, what's the distance between Drop Tower and SlingShot?

Just want to post these numbers so I don't have to keep going back and searching them....

Eiffel Tower to Crane Outside Park- 845 feet (park claimed it was 1000)

Eiffel Tower to Drop Tower- 1,055 feet

Drop Tower to Sling Shot Left Tower- 550 feet

Drop Tower to Sling Shot Right Tower- 630 feet

Drop Tower to Son of Beast (top of hill)- 530 feet

Drop Tower to Invertigo- 580 feet

Eiffel Tower to Diamondback (top of hill)- 790 feet

Here's the press release from Don Helbig with all the official details:

Legendary high-wire acrobat Nik Wallenda to take thrills and chills to new heights at Kings Island

Seventh-generation member of world-famous Wallenda family of daredevils to perform awe-inspiring, death-defying 262-foot high walk August 15

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – As a seventh-generation member of the world-famous Wallenda family of daredevils, Nik Wallenda is known for performing death-defying stunts.

On August 15 at Kings Island, Wallenda will push the limits of what his great-grandfather, Karl Wallenda, started more than 100 years ago with a spectacular high-wire walk on a cable about the diameter of a nickel suspended 262 feet in the air from the park’s front gate to the Eiffel Tower – a distance of more than 800 feet – with no safety nets or harnesses.

“I’m very excited about my walk at Kings Island,” Wallenda said. “This is going to be the highest walk I’ve ever done. I’ll be taller than the new Diamondback roller coaster!”

Wallenda has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records twice. His first record came in Kurashiki, Japan in 2001 when he was part of an eight-person pyramid. In October, 2008, he broke the record for the longest distance and greatest high-wire height ever traveled by bicycle, riding a distance of 150 feet 20 stories above the ground in Newark, New Jersey.

The 30-year-old Sarasota, Florida native will become the third member of the Wallenda family to perform at Kings Island (family patriarch Karl Wallenda was the first 35 years ago in 1974 and Rick Wallenda last year). His walk will be performed at a height that is three times higher than the previous Wallenda walks at Kings Island.

Wallenda’s history-making walk is scheduled for 7:00pm and included free with park admission.

The walk at Kings Island is part of the Nik Wallenda Walk Across America Tour this summer at Cedar Fair parks.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

VIDEO:

NikWallenda.JPG

Same area as last year. I must confess, I'm a tad disappointed. I'll still be in attendance for that day, however.

Edit- I must say though, does location really matter? I mean, you have your head tilted upwards the whole time- is watching it from Sling Shot to Drop Tower any different then Eiffel Tower to a crane outside the park?

Edited by TombraiderTy

“I’m very excited about my walk at Kings Island,” Wallenda said. “This is going to be the highest walk I’ve ever done. I’ll be taller than the new Diamondback roller coaster!”-Nick Wallenda-

This will be his highest walk and its going to be higher than DB, so most likely from tower to drop tower.

Ahem...

Same (or very close) route used by Rick Wallenda last year, but much higher.

The more I think about it, the more this walk route makes sense. If he were to walk from the Tower to Drop Tower, the cable would end up very close (if not right above) Delirium. Although Delirium at it's maximum swing height is still about 100 feet below the 262-foot height where the wire will be, the ride would likely interfere with the supporting/stabilizing cables (they appear to be only about 20 feet apart along the length of the high-wire). That would mean Delirium would need to be closed for the performance, and probably for the entire day (since the high-wire and stabilizing cables would need to be in place well before the walk would begin). That's probably just not feasible, nor do they probably want to go to so much trouble to get the wire in place.

Also, with the end of the wire attached to the double-shot tower at World of Fun, the attachments look like they were attached directly to the tower, wrapped through and around the lattice-structure on the ride. On Drop Tower, there really isn't any place to securely attach the wire, since the tower structure is a solid cylinder. I suppose that if they really wanted to do it, they could probably attach the wire to the ride vehicle or the vehicle dog, but that's probably a little risky since they aren't exactly stable (since they aren't attached directly to the ride tower).

On the day of the event, I would look for the Eiffel Tower to be closed for the event, if not most (or all) of the day. I doubt they would want guests on the observation platform (assuming he'll be walking to the 265-foot platform) messing with the cables, attachments, etc. Especially when he's doing the actual walk. And with the elevators running up and down and people milling about on the platforms, it probably causes the Tower to shake somewhat. If wind gusts cause the Tower to sway, I would assume that movement within the Tower would do the same. And Nik probably wouldn't want to walk on a moving wire - that might be just a little dangerous (as if walking on a wire 262 feet in the air isn't dangerous enough :lol:).