Sign in to follow this  
TombRaiderFTW

Tomb Raider: The Ride

KI-GTS1.jpg

Found this little baby on a Google search, of all things. I'm almost certain this is our Tomb Raider (now Crypt) at some point during construction before it was put inside that stupid box it now just happens to reside in. Just thought I'd share it with you all, but I was wondering, should this picture be old news, about a few things, the first being: Was this actually taken in Ohio? I'm pretty doubtful of it; for its location, there should be a WHOLE lot more trees behind it for its time. That leads me to my second question- is this the TR:TR edition of those pictures of Delirium when it was set up at the HUSS factory to be tested? (I'd provide a link, but I can't seem to find the right thread, even using the forum search.) At any rate, enjoy! :)

(P.S. Should the embedded image stop working or not work in the first place for some odd reason, here's a direct link. And if that doesn't work, here's another link to try.)

Amazing find! That has to be TR:TR, I recognize the paint job. That's a really neat photo, It's alot different from Regular HUSS Top Spins in Size and shape.

Well, I would have to agree with everyone else in saying that this is our beloved TR:TR. It's like twice the size of the regular top spin and since ours is the only Giant one in existence, this has to be it.

Sorry but they built the ''box'' first then Huss brought us the parts and then KI built it from the ground up inside the ''box'' or ''Tomb''. I think that is from KD!

Sorry, but that is Kings Island's. Just look at the KD's version...

TOMB%20RAIDER%2022_mc4.JPG

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster freak

KD's supports on it are way different and the paint job is even different. This is obviously KI's, even on the website it's from It Says KI.

Edited by angrybeaver

Sorry but they built the ''box'' first then Huss brought us the parts and then KI built it from the ground up inside the ''box'' or ''Tomb''. I think that is from KD!

Delirium was fully built, and operated, at HUSS's plant in Germany. I'd assume this is a photo of The Crypt / Tomb Raider: The Ride after it had been built in Germany, but before it was disassembled and sent here.

I kinda wonder what this has to say about our ride operating outdoors... Obviously, the attraction was only outside for a limited time period. If ours was outside, it'd be permanent, a much longer period.

At first I'd say it was worth it... Now I'm not so sure, but if they were to bring back the water ride. It wouldn't fit because of Diamondback would it?

I highly doubt it! But who knows I still think it's KD's!

I'm sure enough in the picture to say with confidence that that is not Kings Dominion's (then) Tomb Raider: Firefall. From HUSS's own website:

sts%201.jpg

(Bottom)

(Identical model, but different ride)

sts%203.jpg

(Top)

Notice the legs dangling off both rows of the ride, which, on that note, are back-to-back with each other. This is HUSS's Suspended Top Spin Model. TR:TR, before it was neutered into The Crypt (a half-top spin, half-giant top spin mixture), was a HUSS Giant Top Spin, a whole different machine. In fact, they use promotional pictures from Tomb Raider: The Ride on the Giant Top Spin page of HUSS's site. Notice that- and you can include your own experiences on the ride in this comparison, should you have ridden the ride- there are no dangling feet and three rows all facing forward. Thus, the picture is not from KD.

Edited by TombRaiderFTW

Upon closer inspection of the Geering Engineering site, I was able to uncover two awesome things and one BIG, FAT LIE.

ONE: Geering Engineering was involved the engineering & commissioning of TR:TR. Here's their page that says so.

TWO: From that page, here's another picture of the ride structure that confirms the pictures were NOT taken in Ohio.

KI-GTS2.jpg

Notice the buildings in the background that simply have never existed at KI in that location.

THREE: From that page, notice the following:

Also the guest satisfaction with the original program and show (Tomb Raider) was low.

LIES!

I won't stand for that utter rubbish! :lol:

http://www.geering-engineering.com/index.p...amp;Language=en

Flat Ride I - USA

Application: Flat Ride (Giant Topspin)

OEM: HUSS Park Attractions

EndUser: Kings Island, Cincinnati, USA

Type of involvement: Engineering & Commissioning

The EndUser requested engineering services in form of a complete re-programming of the ride experience. The Giant Topspin was originally commissioned in 2002. Over the years the ride started to show mechanical wear.

So this was why Crypt was down so much last year?

Also the guest satisfaction with the original program and show (Tomb Raider) was low.
Was this after or before Cedar Fair started changing the theming and or ride program?

With the new program the attraction has more dynamic elements by putting less stress on the structure and drive train. The feedback of the guest is very positive as well.
Is this new program the curent 2 flip program or the older 8 flip program? Was this re-program done 07-08 winter, 08 sumer, or 08-09 winter?

They changed it again? I might ride it again tomorrow if they did.

Looking at the picture on the first post, feels like it's a new ride coming to Kings Island. I feel anxious to ride. But the sad part is that it's already at Kings Island and it's terrible now... :(

You think HUSS took any videos of the test cycles that they might've conducted of the original cycle, before it was inside the building?

Edited by calakapepe

Though I think the rumor has been squelched, I'll say it again for good measure: This isn't Kings Dominion's. We happen to have the ONLY three-row, 77-seat Top Spin in the world. Kings Dominion's is a typical suspended Top Spin model, which holds only 40, and opposite-facing rows.

GREAT find, though! I know that these pictures weren't taken in Ohio, or whatever, but was the building built before the ride parts even arrived? I always knew there was "mystery" surrounding the ride such that no one knew what type of ride it was until it opened, but did you guys know? I wasn't on any KI websites back then, so I'm not sure... Were all of you hyperfans like "Eh, it's a top spin" or were you as "in the dark" as the rest of the world?

Though I think the rumor has been squelched, I'll say it again for good measure: This isn't Kings Dominion's. We happen to have the ONLY three-row, 77-seat Top Spin in the world. Kings Dominion's is a typical suspended Top Spin model, which holds only 40, and opposite-facing rows.

GREAT find, though! I know that these pictures weren't taken in Ohio, or whatever, but was the building built before the ride parts even arrived? I always knew there was "mystery" surrounding the ride such that no one knew what type of ride it was until it opened, but did you guys know? I wasn't on any KI websites back then, so I'm not sure... Were all of you hyperfans like "Eh, it's a top spin" or were you as "in the dark" as the rest of the world?

I was kinda in the dark, I really didn't get into checking the pki.com site till 2005, then I later joined here!

I will donate my time to remove the crypt. i rode it monday 6-8-09 and it completely sucked. it now goes upside done once foward and once in reverse. no visuals, no nothing really. its not worthy of KI any longer!

^Why? Cause it doesn't do many flips or something? Or cause it's in complete darkness?

Shake, Rattle, and Roll doesn't do flips or anything. It's a family ride. And The Crypt can now be viewed as one.

Flight of Fear is in complete darkness. And I hope you're not going to say that's a bad ride.

Yes, The Crypt proves a disappointment to many people, including the general public. However, if you don't set your expectations high (and forget the themeing of the Tomb Raider days and the intensity of the 8-flip program :P), you will probably enjoy the attraction a lot more.