Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Kings Dominion 2010 Coaster

^That is true- Drop Tower lifts riders to 264-feet (although an Eiffel Tower employee said 267-feet only yesterday), while Eiffel Tower has a 265-foot and a 275-foot platform (and the no-longer-open-to-the-public 50-foot platform).

How do you get access to the second highest deck?

On super busy days they open both the decks, and I think sometimes the lower one will be open, than a few days later maybe the higher one will be open, I think...

^

Dumb question:

Why isn't it open to the public?

It used to be, but there are several reasons it no longer is. It's not handicap accessible, it takes additional employees to monitor that area, its larger size makes it more difficult to prevent guests from throwing objects or spitting off it, amongst other things. There are a lot of ideas that have been tossed around on here on what the park should use it for, however, from a restaurant to a Kings Island museum-like attraction. Unless they built a stop for the elevators at the 50-foot level, and did all the other things require to allow the elevator to stop, I doubt we'll ever see it open to the public again.

This is quite the change of events. I don't think many people were expecting this one - but that could be why the park went for it. I'm interested to see how the layout pans out. Someone over on TPR suggested a mix between MF and Expedition GeForce - I can only hope. B)

I hope it will take the record from S:ROS for the "best" steel coaster... that coaster has had it too long

I also hope diamondback gets best new ride of the year :P

I am happy to see how Kings Dominion is growing! I can't wait to see what the new coaster will look like! I know Cedarpoint has something brewing, but no sign of any track yet! The only thing I have noticed is that on Millennium Islannd, they have cleared out alot of stuff. Only time will tell what goes in next for them!

This is amazing can't wait to see what it really is.

This may be a pretty large ride as I've heard that the clearing is now possibly going paralell to WW down towards hurler.

A giga coaster huh? At Kings Dominion, not Kings Island, huh? Typical. More and more I feel like they toss us a bone just to appease us while the more prominent coasters always get planned for other parks.

It feels like "Hey, here's a nice B&M for ya' while we plan something bigger and better for KD."

I mean, come on....what does it take to finally get something at KI that outdoes something KD gets??

Whatever.

Edited by secondson

^

Wait. You really are going to B and moan about getting a $24 million dollar investment AND what is to be most likely the best new coaster for '09?

And what do you mean the more prominent coasters get planned for other parks? What other park has anything comparable to a wooden hyper? What other park has a 6 looper? I'm also pretty sure that Kings Island also got many firsts.... Including FoF.

I'm sorry but when I compare Kings Dominion to Kings Island, Kings Island wins almost every time. I mean can you really compare the two.... what signature attraction does Kings Dominion really have beyond Volcano and Dominator?

Ryan

According to Wikipedia KI is the second most visited park in the US behind Cedar Point. It also says Canada's Wonderland is the most visited park in North America.

As for KD getting a "better" attraction than KI, a lot of it has to do with location. CP is only a couple hours away from KI and they have the only giga in existence right now. KI also has less competition in its immediate vicinity. They have SF:KK, Holiday World, and CP. Its not hard to be better than SF:KK and Holiday World is still a fairly small park. And then of course, why would you try to out-do the flagship park of cedar fair by making better rides at KI? KD has SF:A and BG:E, two competitiors close to it and a big draw in SF:GA not that far away from it. Putting the only Giga on the east coast at KD makes perfect sense because it'll draw crowds away from the competing parks.

According to Wikipedia KI is the second most visited park in the US behind Cedar Point. It also says Canada's Wonderland is the most visited park in North America.

As for KD getting a "better" attraction than KI, a lot of it has to do with location. CP is only a couple hours away from KI and they have the only giga in existence right now. KI also has less competition in its immediate vicinity. They have SF:KK, Holiday World, and CP. Its not hard to be better than SF:KK and Holiday World is still a fairly small park. And then of course, why would you try to out-do the flagship park of cedar fair by making better rides at KI? KD has SF:A and BG:E, two competitiors close to it and a big draw in SF:GA not that far away from it. Putting the only Giga on the east coast at KD makes perfect sense because it'll draw crowds away from the competing parks.

umm disneys magic kingdom is the most visited park in america.

Edited by yournamehere

Top 20 Amusement Parks/Theme Parks North America

1. MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………………………………..17,063,000

2. DISNEYLAND, Anaheim, Calfornia………………………………………………………………………………..14,721,00 0

3. EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida…………………………………………………10,935,000

4. DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………..9,608,000

5. DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida……………….9,540,000

6. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS at Universal Orlando, Florida……………………………………………………….6,231,000

7. SEAWORLD FLORIDA, Orlando, Florida ……………………………………………………………………….5,926,000

8. DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE, Anaheim, California……………………………………………5,566,000

9. ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE at Universal Orlando, Florida………………………………………………..5,297,000

10. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, Universal City, California……………………………………..4,583,000

11. BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA BAY, Tampa Bay, Florida………………………………………………………4,410,000

12. SEAWORLD CALIFORNIA, San Diego, California……………………………………………………………4,147,000

13. KNOTT’S BERRY FARM, Buena Park, California……………………………………………………………..3,565,000

14. CANADA’S WONDERLAND, Maple, Ontario………………………………………………………………….3,380,000

15. CEDAR POINT, Sandusky, Ohio…………………………………………………………………………………….3,198,000

16. KINGS ISLAND, Kings Island, Ohio……………………………………………………………………………….3,126,000

17. BUSCH GARDENS EUROPE, Williamsburg, Virginia………………………………………………………3,094,000

18. HERSHEY PARK, Hershey, Pennsylvania……………………………………………………………………….2,842,000

19. SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE, Jackson, New Jersey…………………………………………………..2,761,000

20. SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA, Gurnee, Illinois……………………………………………………………….2,669,000

The Wiki article is true though... it says KI is the second most visited seasonal amusement park in America. All the other parks above KI on the list are either year round operational or are out of the country.