I don't know how many of you know or are members of a Cedar Point forum as well as a Kings Island like I am. But Millennium Force went down due to mechanical reasons yesterday before the park opened. Normally this would not be a big deal, however yesterday it was.

During test runs yesterday morning the cable that returns the catch car in the lift system snapped and the catch car ended up continuing somehow of the top of the hill and down the other side. It dangled there for most of the day allowing for some pictures to be taken. I will post some at the end of my post, but NEITHER of them are actually mine.

There is only speculation as to what caused the failure at this point. But I hope they can get it fixed soon because Coaster Mania is just about a week or so away.

Ryan

4229_84815711838_653091838_1693047_.jpg

p5280014n.jpg

That really stinks! I know it doesn't have too much down time either, yet it happens to land on its ERT day. Atleast they kept Magnum and TTD in place of it being down for ERT. I hope it gets fixed fast! That's an ugly sight to see.

Hopefully it will be running by June 26 and 27th... ish... I was planning to go around that time. Have you ever noticed that most of the time, rides seem to only brake during testing? I mean sure sometimes people are on it like. SOB, Two-Face: The Flip Side, and SFKK's drop tower, and I believe King Cobra. But really most of the time people aren't on the ride when something goes wrong. How does it brake during testing, and not at the end of the day since that's when it's running continually. Is this really how it is? Or am I just not thinking of enough times where people were on the ride during dangerous malfunctions?

Wow, thats crazy that the cable just snapped. You would think they would inspect them for wear and tear so they would catch the fatigue before it snapped. Luckily no one was one it, but it looks like thats another coaster that is going to be down for a while. Hopefully MF will be up and running quickly.

Wow, thats crazy that the cable just snapped. You would think they would inspect them for wear and tear so they would catch the fatigue before it snapped. Luckily no one was one it, but it looks like thats another coaster that is going to be down for a while. Hopefully MF will be up and running quickly.

Apparently, and I am just speaking from what I have heard, the cable has been showing wear and tear for a long time and they were almost expecting it to snap soon. Which hopefully means they had a cable on order before this happened.

Ryan

Apparently, and I am just speaking from what I have heard, the cable has been showing wear and tear for a long time and they were almost expecting it to snap soon. Which hopefully means they had a cable on order before this happened.

Ryan

That's really odd that they would wait until it broke before replacing it. I don't know why they wouldn't replace it when it started showing signs of wear-and-tear.

I remember reading about the S:TOP at Six Flags St. Louis and it said something along the lines of, Mantience checks the cables every morning and dose multiple tests. If the cables are even showing the slightest signs of wear and tear, or do not pass one of the tests, mantiences shuts the ride down until an inspector from SFI can come out and check or replace the cable. If SFI has rules like this, i could only assume that CF would too.

Intamin - full of FAIL since 2009!

:lol:

Haha! So true! Holiday Worlds Pilgrims Plunge was down from Tuesday (at the earliest) until Saturday Morning because they had to order a "decoder" frome Intamin.

This sucks! I was going to make the Millennium Force my first ride of the year too. We are going up in about 2 weeks and I doubt they will have it fixed by then.

Yeah i bet it will take about 3-4 weeks.

This sucks! I was going to make the Millennium Force my first ride of the year too. We are going up in about 2 weeks and I doubt they will have it fixed by then.

Yeah i bet it will take about 3-4 weeks.

I don't know about three or four weeks. Eyewitnesses have seen them pounding the catch car back into the catch car track yesterday. The last time something like this happened it only took a week to fix. Plus they have Coaster Mania coming up. They don't want it to be down for that.

Ryan

Intamin - full of FAIL since 2009!

:lol:

Haha! So true! Holiday Worlds Pilgrims Plunge was down from Tuesday (at the earliest) until Saturday Morning because they had to order a "decoder" frome Intamin.

I went to kings dominion yesterday and Volcano was down but only for like 10 minutes

That was really fast. I wasn't expecting it to be open for another week, at the earliest. Kudos to the park and maintenance. Sounds like there wasn't any critical damage to the track, which is always a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...